Quantcast

Darwin at work in California

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
VENTURA, California (AP) --

A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.
Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

more here

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

J

JRB

I thought you were telling us you were moving.

What a dillhole. I'm glad he didn't get a kid. Or am I??? Frikkin' perverted kids.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
No, I wish i was moving.

Just thought I'd share a story of a teacher doing a different kind of blowing for a change.
:cool:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Yeah, you must either die or take yourself out of the reproductive cycle as a result of your actions. Now if a hunk of shrapnel went through his shorts ... we may of had a contender!!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Ok, Ok.... Maybe he missed.

Sheesh tough crowd today :mumble:

J

JRB

DVNT said:
Ok, Ok.... Maybe he missed.

Sheesh tough crowd today :mumble:
I am sure Darwin has to throw a few pitches to get some of them, but he WILL win one day.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
well be todays liberal "zero tolerance" of weapons in schools this teacher needs to arrested or at least fired, after all if they can suspend a student for drawing a picture of a firearm whats the penalty for have a Live ammunition?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Smelly said:
I'm wondering why the link is a news station in Austrailia. You'd think the local press would've picked up the story pretty quickly.
The local press didn't cover this story at all; this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Ever since Bush has been president, we have become the butt of a lot of jokes in Australia and in Europe. I have a feeling that's the reason it was covered on the other side of the world...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Local press didnt cover it because its Not normal for a Round like that to even be able to discharge without Engaging the Primer. Slamming it on a desk Probably isnt what set it off, If the story is even true. Sorry but with my expierence with different friearms, i just dont buy it. That 40mm shell isnt a Rimfire style of shell that would Be soft enough a surface to allow the primer to fire. An example of a rimfire we are all used to is a .22 those will go off if you through them in the air do to the shell casing being of a softer material and the rim of it being the actual primer. Where as something like a .357 has a primer pressed into the back of it which is a Much much harder surface and takes quit considerable force in a specific area to fire. The 40mm is the same style as the .357, as are most all rounds now with the rare exception, i think .22 .25 Used to be a .32 around, some assorted others. But like i said, i dont think its a true story in the first place. But i will make a call or two and ask some friends in Law enforcement to see if they can either confirm or deny the story.

J

JRB

DirtyMike - you don't even know what kind of bug it was. It could have been a really hard beetle. Please let us know what they come up with in Scotland Yard. I hope they have Inspector Clouseau on the case.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Well it was reported yesterday in the Ventura County Star online; that's pretty local. I'd link to it, but it requires you to sign in....

Exploding ammunition injures Ventura teacher
Part of a Ventura instructor's right hand was severed Monday afternoon after he struck an object on his classroom desk against an old 40 mm round of ammunition while teaching. The accidental discharge also left Robert Colla with severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, said Tom Weinell, a captain with the Ventura Fire Department.
FULL STORY »

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Smelly said:
I'm wondering why the link is a news station in Austrailia. You'd think the local press would've picked up the story pretty quickly.
I live in Vetura, a few months back we had a pretty massive fire. No mention in the media. A few weeks ago we had a Hazmat scare, againg no mention even in the local papers. We had a semi truck colision that shut down the 101 for hours, but no coverage, So the fact that this got to CNN is quite amazing.