Quantcast

dash cams

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anybody here using one? experiences / recommendations? ideally i'd like to have front and rear facing. i get a decent discount on garmin through work, and they have a few models that seem decent, and googling on them doesn't seem to indicate critical issues. although they don't have any 4k models, is 4k really necessary?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I need to find one as well.

Is there an easy way to power them permanently without cutting wires? Like use some sort of adapter on an existing fuse? or?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have these now

via Amazon. No rear camera but solid mounting system, tuck away nicely on far side of mirror. Avoid ones with a suction cup system.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I need to find one as well.

Is there an easy way to power them permanently without cutting wires? Like use some sort of adapter on an existing fuse? or?
I use the 12V lighter socket and just tuck the cable in along the headliner and A-pillar trim, then under the passenger floormat. Quite unobtrusive and no wiring modifications.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I use the 12V lighter socket and just tuck the cable in along the headliner and A-pillar trim, then under the passenger floormat. Quite unobtrusive and no wiring modifications.
my wife's outback has a lighter socket in the back, so we could easily just use a second unit rear facing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I finally got around to getting a dash cam. Went with one called a Viofo A119 V3.

Just wanted something that works and wasn't $2-300 like a Garmin or something. I think this one was $125 plus the memory card? I also opted for their polarized lens filter for a few extra dollars. It has a built in GPS sensor which provides location and speed.

Here is a sample - obviously a tiny bit of quality loss uploading to youtube, but it seems good enough. So far its worked and it is easy to tell it to save a video clip from being over written. Also has a shock sensor - so if you get hit, it'll do that for you.

Just ended up plugging it into the cigarette lighter outlet that is inside of the enter armrest. Routed the cable across/under the head liner at the wind shield and then through the weather strip on the passenger door - lucked out there, the cable fits under it perfectly, so the cable is 100% hidden and didn't have to bother with trying to get it behind any plastic trim pieces.

Behold the mighty power of my blue crapbox!

Last edited: