Quantcast

Dave Matthews Band - Poop Thrower

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
In downtown Chicago the bridges over the Chicago rive are a steel mesh material to help keep the bridges free of snow in the winter and also to allow them to be raised as MANY boats travel there every dave. 3 weeks ago the DMB was accused of releasing their tour bus storage tanks on the bridge and onto a tour boat passing underneath making dozens of people ill. DMB denied it was them and cited their "green" image. Now tapes have come out showing the illegal dumping of his dump.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/25/bus.waste.ap/index.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-dave25.html

and

must register

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0408250268aug25,1,409038.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Madigan: Video busts band's bus in dumping
Tour boat waste case may stain Dave Matthews Band's `green' image

By Michael Hawthorne
Tribune staff reporter
Published August 25, 2004

The Dave Matthews Band, a rock group so "green" it has its own flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, could face $70,000 in fines after one of its tour bus drivers allegedly dumped a tankful of human waste on a Chicago River sightseeing boat earlier this month.

After a two-week investigation into an incident that prompted outrage from Chicago's mayor and snickering from late-night television hosts, Illinois Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan on Tuesday accused the band and driver Stefan A. Whol of illegally dumping foul-smelling muck into the river and creating a public nuisance.

About two-thirds of the passengers on the upper deck of Chicago's Little Lady were doused with a brownish-yellow liquid as the tour boat crossed under the Kinzie Street bridge during an Aug. 8 architectural sightseeing cruise.

Some of the passengers suffered nausea and vomiting after the waste cascaded into their eyes and mouths and soaked their hair and clothing. Five went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for tests.

Witnesses told authorities the deluge of waste came from a long black tour bus crossing the grated bridge. At least one witness gave police an Oregon license plate number.

Surveillance cameras at neighborhood businesses helped Madigan's investigators and Chicago police detectives trace the bus to Whol, a Texas man who is identified in the complaint as one of five drivers for the Dave Matthews Band, authorities said.

Whol was driving to pick up a band member at a Michigan Avenue hotel when the bus crossed the bridge, according to the three-count civil complaint filed in Cook County Circuit Court. Later that evening, the band played the second of two shows at Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wis.

A band publicist issued a statement Tuesday night saying, "Our driver has stated that he was not involved in this incident. We reserve any judgment until we see the evidence."

Luxury coaches like the ones leased by the band are equipped with 80- to 100-gallon waste tanks that are emptied underneath the vehicle by pushing a toggle switch behind the driver's seat, according to the attorney general's complaint.

In addition to seeking fines for violations of state laws, Madigan said she is asking the court to order an evaluation of the band's waste disposal practices. State officials said most charter buses dump waste at licensed disposal facilities.

"This incident may be unique, but that does not lessen the environmental or public health risks posed by the release of at least 800 pounds of liquid human waste into a busy waterway and onto a crowded tour boat," Madigan said in a statement. "This situation clearly demonstrates the environmental and public health problems that can occur when laws are ignored. This act was not only offensive, it was illegal."

Two weeks ago, another driver for the band, Jerry Fitzpatrick, denied responsibility for the incident, saying his bus had been parked at a nearby hotel at the time. He even coaxed a Downstate police officer to inspect the bus and report that the waste tank was nearly full.

"This band is very environmentally conscious," Fitzpatrick said then. "We wouldn't have anything to do with this sort of thing."

In several interviews, Dave Matthews has said one of the reasons his band contributes to environmental causes is to offset air pollution from its tour buses.

Ben and Jerry's, the socially conscious ice cream maker, named its One Sweet Whirled flavor (caramel and coffee ice cream with marshmallow and caramel swirls and coffee-flavored fudge chips) after one of the band's songs. Half of the band's royalties from sales of the ice cream are donated to a coalition of environmental groups to combat global climate change.

In Chicago, the tour boat incident provoked an angry Mayor Richard Daley to promise that the culprit would be caught. All of the 120 passengers on the ill-fated sightseeing cruise were given refunds for their $25 tickets. Some later filed insurance claims with the tour operators seeking compensation for clothing and personal items that got soaked.

"It's not about the money for us," said Lynn Osmond, president and CEO of the Chicago Architectural Foundation, which operates the boat tour. "It's about the fact that somebody dumped on our customers."

Nancy Todor, an Elmhurst resident whose 43rd birthday was ruined when she got caught in the rain of waste, said a $70,000 fine seemed like an inadequate punishment for the band.

Perhaps, she said, Matthews should perform a concert for the sullied boat customers.

Holly Agra, co-owner of the tour boat, said the incident was an abrupt departure from the usual glowing media coverage of one of the city's most popular tourist attractions.

"We can't afford to have our image damaged," Agra said recently. "We don't want this sticking on us for the rest of our careers."

Tribune staff reporter Maegan Carberry contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

Eye witness account

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040810waste,1,762212.story?coll=chi-news-hed

'People sat in stunned anger'

Published August 10, 2004, 1:07 PM CDT

Tribune staff reporter Brett McNeil, who filed Monday's report on the foul liquid that drenched passengers on a Chicago tour boat, was one of those passengers. Here's his first-person account.

Mostly what I remember is people gagging.

Before that, I remember our lightly lisping docent say what a beautiful day it was to catch the city's river bend reflection on the green glass of 333 W. Wacker Drive. And, really, it was: just this cool and sunny day with billowy white-gray clouds floating in a deep blue sky.

We were puttering along the Chicago River, watching paddlers from the Flatwater Classic float by, craning to see the tops of sundry architectural marvels. A perfectly polite, boringly edifying way to spend the afternoon.

And then came a gush of goop raining across most of the upper-deck viewing platform.

From where I was seated, toward the front of the boat, I couldn't see what was dumping on us but figured it was a street cleaner or maybe one of those landscaping trucks that you see spraying arcs of water into the median weed beds along Ashland Avenue.

Somehow I got just the lightest little splash on my left shirtsleeve, while people two seats away were left squeezing gritty gunk from their sticky wet hair.

We passed under the bridge and the deluge seemed to pick up, getting stronger as the passengers toward the rear of the boat approached the waterfall. The stuff splat heavily on the deck, dousing dozens of white-haired ladies and gents in nylon windbreakers.

There was confusion.

Then the smell hit us.

An unmistakable stink: porta-potty juice.

"Oh, God." The woman next to me turned and said to no one, "I had my mouth open."

Another woman, whose white shirt was soaked in what looked like dirty wiper fluid, said nothing. She just stood up and surveyed the boat, her eyes registering what she was now wearing. Reflexively, she began heaving. She looked like she was drowning.

The docent was slow to understand the magnitude of what had happened. "It appears that some water has hit the boat," he said, ridiculously.

A guy from the back of the boat shouted: "That's not water, buddy! That's urine!"

The docent, still playing dullard, asked, "Should we go back?"

By then, though, the boat's crew was rushing in with wet naps and paper towels, and soon we were turning around and plowing back to dock in high gear. Damning the no wake zone, we sent recreational boaters splashing in our wake as Chicago's Little Lady churned for home.

People wiped off their glasses, took off their coats, and sat in stunned anger.

What could you do?

I was on the boat with my girlfriend and a friend of hers visiting from out of town. They, too, managed to avoid the worst of it and we hustled down into the boat's main cabin. There we could avoid the stench up top but could clearly hear people puking in the nearby bathrooms.

We sat downstairs, hugging the air-conditioner register for stench-free air, until back at the Michigan Avenue dock. I did not begin reporting about all this until after we'd gone to the Billy Goat Tavern and washed up in the bathrooms, which was a mistake.

Because I wanted to get my hands and face and hair clean, I didn't get the name of the guy who was standing on the sidewalk when I got off the boat wearing only his waterlogged khakis. Stripped to the waist, he was actually joking with a woman airing out her wet red dress.

"I feel like I'm in a bad Ben Stiller movie," he said.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Damn! I was hoping it was a story of someone throwing poop AT them, that would've rocked. Crappy DMB and their crappy music. I've got a lot of pent up anger. Impossible to be a college student today, and be able to say you DON'T like them. Seems like everyone, for real or not, likes those assholes. And they (along with John Mayer, etc), have made girls think that guys like talking about stuff like feelings, and emotions, and doing romantic sh..tuff all the time. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll take a girl out on a date, and buy her flowers from time to time, but don't act all huffy and pissed off when I want to go for a ride, eat a garbage plate, get ****-faced, and fart the next night. Sorry, just a lot of pent up anger. Rant over. In closing, I hope someone (like an elephant) poops on them.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Nate at RIT said:
Damn! I was hoping it was a story of someone throwing poop AT them, that would've rocked. Crappy DMB and their crappy music. I've got a lot of pent up anger. Impossible to be a college student today, and be able to say you DON'T like them. Seems like everyone, for real or not, likes those assholes. And they (along with John Mayer, etc), have made girls think that guys like talking about stuff like feelings, and emotions, and doing romantic sh..tuff all the time. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll take a girl out on a date, and buy her flowers from time to time, but don't act all huffy and pissed off when I want to go for a ride, eat a garbage plate, get ****-faced, and fart the next night. Sorry, just a lot of pent up anger. Rant over. In closing, I hope someone (like an elephant) poops on them.
I was hoping that too...I've always been afraid to say I don't like DMB...I really hate them and think they suck. I also hate john mayer...and dave matthews and john mayer are both hideous and I don't get why girls think they are so hot...thank for stating that and allowing me to also vent..that and you post was f'ing hysterical! :thumb:

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Man I hate hate hate hate hate Dave Matthews Band. And whenever I say that I hate the Dave Matthews Band out loud, 9 times out of 10 someone within earshot goes: "Oh man, you don't like Dave? Man you just gotta see them live". Shut up!

Plus I hate how he's just referred to as "Dave" as if he's the all encompassing "Dave", all other people named "Dave" in the world must always use their last names, for the only "Dave" is meant to be "Dave Matthews".

For some reason the band makes me think of drunken frat guys. If there's a Dave Matthews show around the corner all you hear is:

Frat Guy 1: "Yo dude, you going to see Dave tonight?

Frat Guy 2: "FU** YEAH! I'm seeing Dave! I'm gonna get so wasted!"

Frat Guy 1: "SH** We're gonna get so wasted!"

Frat Guy 2: "Nice! Schmitty's got a keg tonight. We should head there after.."

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Craw said:
Man I hate hate hate hate hate Dave Matthews Band. And whenever I say that I hate the Dave Matthews Band out loud, 9 times out of 10 someone within earshot goes: "Oh man, you don't like Dave? Man you just gotta see them live". Shut up!

Plus I hate how he's just referred to as "Dave" as if he's the all encompassing "Dave", all other people named "Dave" in the world must always use their last names, for the only "Dave" is meant to be "Dave Matthews".

For some reason the band makes me think of drunken frat guys. If there's a Dave Matthews show around the corner all you hear is:

The ONLY Dave is Diamond Dave.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
dh girlie said:
I was hoping that too...I've always been afraid to say I don't like DMB...I really hate them and think they suck. I also hate john mayer...and dave matthews and john mayer are both hideous and I don't get why girls think they are so hot...thank for stating that and allowing me to also vent..that and you post was f'ing hysterical! :thumb:
No problem. Something about upstate NY that really breeds Dave-lovers, and going to school at RIT is a living hell for me at times. What really cracks me up are the "guys" who say they're into Dave. I mean, if you're doing it to get some ass, fine. Not the best way to do it, but whatever works. But then you'll meet some that are dead serious about liking him. I say me and you go on a beat-down spree on all the ugly, whiny-ass bitches invading music today. Wanna go after I get out of the Static-X concert tomorrow night? :devil:

Edit: Someone needs to pull a Nickelback in South American (forget what country it was) stunt on DMB. A good empty bottle of Jack would do the trick nicely, and might even make him look better.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Nate at RIT said:
No problem. Something about upstate NY that really breeds Dave-lovers, and going to school at RIT is a living hell for me at times. What really cracks me up are the "guys" who say they're into Dave. I mean, if you're doing it to get some ass, fine. Not the best way to do it, but whatever works. But then you'll meet some that are dead serious about liking him. I say me and you go on a beat-down spree on all the ugly, whiny-ass bitches invading music today. Wanna go after I get out of the Static-X concert tomorrow night? :devil:

Edit: Someone needs to pull a Nickelback in South American (forget what country it was) stunt on DMB. A good empty bottle of Jack would do the trick nicely, and might even make him look better.

Nickelback! those guys are HORRIFIC...can we hold off for a day or two on the beat down? I'm still feeling beat up and sore from the pit at the Social D show monday night...

Oh and another thing...if a dude has to like a sh*tty band to get some ass...then he's a complete f'n dork and doesn't deserve any trim for pussin out and listening to a crappy whiny band!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Craw said:

yet another brilliant post by Craw... :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Oh and another thing...if a dude has to like a sh*tty band to get some ass...then he's a complete f'n dork and doesn't deserve any trim for pussin out and listening to a crappy whiny band!
Back in college I was trying to get some tail from this girl. Being the classy date I took her to a local dive bar for happy hour. The bar had a tradition of playing Pink Floyd between 3 and 4 every Friday, which was fine by me. This chick went to the DJ and requested one of the gay songs from the movie Greece, he wouldn't play it. She came over to me and demanded that I make him play the song instead of Floyd, so I threw a beer in her face. I got no tail but I could respect myself the next day. It turned out to be a good thing anyway, a friend of mine caught scabies from her two weeks later.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
Back in college I was trying to get some tail from this girl. Being the classy date I took her to a local dive bar for happy hour. The bar had a tradition of playing Pink Floyd between 3 and 4 every Friday, which was fine by me. This chick went to the DJ and requested one of the gay songs from the movie Greece, he wouldn't play it. She came over to me and demanded that I make him play the song instead of Floyd, so I threw a beer in her face. I got no tail but I could respect myself the next day. It turned out to be a good thing anyway, a friend of mine caught scabies from her two weeks later.

AWESOME! yeah any guy that has to resort to lie about liking some crappy ass band to get laid is just showing what a pussy he is by cowtowing to some bitch.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
The "Dave" hate is flowing here. I used to like them back in 96 before he was the Abercrombie band of the decade. In college I saw him at Luther when they recordeda album. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, I stopped liking and listening when I could no longer enjoy the screaming and singing along that would accompany any DMB song played in public.

Being in Chicago, it is pretty funny to here all the Dave defending going on.

"they would never do that" yeah, well the video tape says otherwise jackass

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Too bad the boat wasn't full of DMB fans, I've always wanted to crap on DMB fans :p

This is the funniest thread I've read in a while! I'd expect this from a Gwar tourbus, but DMB! Lol!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Zark said:
Too bad the boat wasn't full of DMB fans, I've always wanted to crap on DMB fans :p

This is the funniest thread I've read in a while! I'd expect this from a Gwar tourbus, but DMB! Lol!

That'd be so damn funny...I could just see it now...they're all on the boat because they know that the DMB bus will be passing overhead on the bridge at a certain time. They're all waiting in anticipation to get a glimpse of the bus and get **** dumped all over them...HAHAHAHAHA

250ox

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Chicago
The State of Illinois filed a law suit agains that damn DMB for $7k I hope that everone on that boat files a class action and puts and end to his "RAIN" of terror

250ox

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Chicago
Hey man the Chi is ok and has some awesome urban. I guess Karp owners are mad @ the world and with good reason.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
ViolentVolante said:
Ive pissed off the Kinzie street bridge :D

Hawkeye, who are ya?

I'm just a homeless bum who works the corner of Clark and Lake. You know in front of the McDonalds.

"gotta quarter?"

I actually live in the Suburbs and work downtown. I don't do much urban mostly trail riding.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
bigginsis said:
gwar would never do something that classless.
No Gwar would show more class and use a prosthetic penis to shoot the poo

That reminds me of a family guy quote.
“How many filthy stinking apes does it take to change a light bulb” said peter “I don’t know dad how many?” asked Chris “3 one filthy stinking ape to change the light bulb and the other 2 filthy stinking apes to throw fecies at each other” answered peter.