Quantcast

Dave Mirra!?!?!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Sad.

I went to ECU before he moved to Greenville. There was no bike scene, no decent LBS and the only trail was .75 miles long. Dave Mirra turned that flat, in the middle of no where, boring town into a BMX mecca that drew dozens of top pros over the years. Never met the guy, but much respect for what he did.

RIP

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Wow... One of the few people from back in the days that i remember actually really looking up to.
If there is one person that has inspired me to be a better fucking bike rider... That person would have to be Dave Fucking Mirra...

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
This totally blows. 2016 is definitely racking up a crazy body count so far.

One of my buddies had rode with him and Ryan Nyquist (plus others) when they would do those BMX tours through random cities back in the day.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If he has the same (but not publicized) seizure issues as I do due to his concussions, the meds he would be on are vicious and one of their major risks is suicidal tendencies and depression. I only say this because he has publicly taken way more, way worse concussions than I ever have.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If he has the same (but not publicized) seizure issues as I do due to his concussions, the meds he would be on are vicious and one of their major risks is suicidal tendencies and depression. I only say this because he has publicly taken way more, way worse concussions than I ever have.
while this is a very likely scenario, i've been trying to hold off commenting on this subject for now out of respect for his family and friends.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
while this is a very likely scenario, i've been trying to hold off commenting on this subject for now out of respect for his family and friends.
I wasn't saying it that way. If anything, it's like the Robin Williams suicide. A mental issue (in this case concussions vs. likely drug damage), that many of us who rode DH are potentially at risk of, some worse than others. The drugs are nasty. I know.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wasn't saying it that way. If anything, it's like the Robin Williams suicide. A mental issue (in this case concussions vs. likely drug damage), that many of us who rode DH are potentially at risk of, some worse than others. The drugs are nasty. I know.
no i get that, sorry if i came across accusatory. i'm sure his family is grieving now, and the inevitable media circus now isn't going to help that. i hope they have some privacy.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am missing tons of memories from my youth. Most of Jr High, HS, and first/second year of college are basically gone. It sucks. I still forget doing things with Wifey and Haley, thankfully nothing substantial though. I am seriously concerned about Parkinson's and Alzheimer's though.
Did you have a few bad concussions or a whole lot of them? I think Parkinson's, like CTE is more the result of the later. There has been a lot evidence recently that Alzheimer's could actually be prion related.

I racked up a lot of little concussions in my early 30s and a nice big one when I was 35 that got me medi-vaced off the ski slope. Always been little worried that it can/is causing problems. Did manage to ace my GREs two weeks after the big one.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Did you have a few bad concussions or a whole lot of them? I think Parkinson's, like CTE is more the result of the later. There has been a lot evidence recently that Alzheimer's could actually be prion related.

I racked up a lot of little concussions in my early 30s and a nice big one when I was 35 that got me medi-vaced off the ski slope. Always been little worried that it can/is causing problems. Did manage to ace my GREs two weeks after the big one.
Both. I probably whacked my head once every other month (at least) for the 4 years I was actively racing. Of those whacks, probably a third were "what's my name" hits.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My brother Chris has had dozens of Concussions. He is very forgetful and can no longer spell properly. He gets lost a lot also and depends on his phone much more then normal folks.
Yowza. That's way worse than me. My short-term memory has taken a hit and I rely on notes to make sure I don't forget things, but that's bad.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Right? :twitch:

edit: which reminds me, I've got a list of shit I need to get done today.
At least my neurologist is pretty sure that Parkinson's probably won't be a problem for me, due to the type of injuries. Alzheimer's not sure about that...