Quantcast

David Gilmour - On An Island - Any reviews?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dunno. I have a couple of his older CDs and they are crap. No Roger Waters, no care.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've only heard one song on the radio and it was very "darkside of the moon"esq. Pretty good. I might have to pick up the cd at some point.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
David Gilmour is one of the best and most under rated guitarists of our time.. I haven't heart the album, but I loved his first and second one, and his work with Pete Townsend.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ti22 said:
David Gilmour is one of the best and most under rated guitarists of our time.. I haven't heart the album, but I loved his first and second one, and his work with Pete Townsend.
underrated? by whom, the Kalahari Bushmen?

every single 'what is the best guitar solo' list i've ever seen has 'comfortably numb' snug near the top.

and it's not like Floyd was some fringe band who sold 10,000 copies of all their combined records.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
narlus said:
underrated? by whom, the Kalahari Bushmen?

every single 'what is the best guitar solo' list i've ever seen has 'comfortably numb' snug near the top.

and it's not like Floyd was some fringe band who sold 10,000 copies of all their combined records.
not trying to argue, because I know what you are talking about with these polls..

.. but I've been around guitar and music for 25 years now, and played in about 10 upstart bands that went no where mind you, mostly Bass... I've yet to come across a rock guitarist in these years that didn't top their list with either Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, et al as being "the best". Never did I hear David Gilmour.. I personally think he's as good as any of them.. This is all purely subjective however, and I personally think George Benson could play circles around any of them! :cool:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Having been a huge Pink Floyd fan in 70s - I discovered that I was really only a Roger Waters fan - when he left the band I lost interest. Same with the Sid Barrett days, I owned the recordings but didn't really like them that much.

I'll download a few songs and let you know what I think.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ti22 said:
not trying to argue, because I know what you are talking about with these polls..

.. but I've been around guitar and music for 25 years now, and played in about 10 upstart bands that went no where mind you, mostly Bass... I've yet to come across a rock guitarist in these years that didn't top their list with either Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, et al as being "the best". Never did I hear David Gilmour.. I personally think he's as good as any of them.. This is all purely subjective however, and I personally think George Benson could play circles around any of them! :cool:
that's cool, as long as we can all agree that clapton is NOT god.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well I listened to most of the album and I wasn't impressed enough to save anything, reminds me some of old Pink Floyd but nothing struck me as new or innovative. Thats just me though - I'm sure he's techically accomplished - he just sounds a bit dated to my ears. :)

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Ray Davies new album is also out, and worth a listen to.. At lest I liked it.. though I always like Dave Davies guitar work better.