Quantcast

Davison wins Langkawi International Mountain Bike Challenge

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized Racing's Lea Davison claimed overall victory in the Langkawi International Mountain Bike Challenge during day six of racing on Saturday in Malaysia. Her teammate Max Knox also logged a top five finish in the general classification of the men's category while Burry Stander and Todd Wells finished in the top 10.</p><p>
</p><p>
On the final day of competition, a short track on the beach lasting just over 30 minutes, Davison piloted her Specialized S-Works Fate 29er hardtail to a second place finish between Eva Lechner and Nathalie Schneitter. That podium performance secured her overall lead by 10:02 over her nearest rival.</p><p>
</p><p>
During the week, Davison battled extremely muddy conditions and challenging terrain including hike-a-bikes, leeches and snakes.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I am so pleased to be on the podium and to win the title," said Davison. "The whole race was hard but fun, and I have to compliment the organizer for the good organization and allowing the riders to enjoy the waterfalls and majestic stretches along the streams and beaches."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I had quite a strong lead before today's stage, and the second place finish was the ideal way to end the race. To win this race in Asia for the first time, it is a treat."</p><p>
</p><p>
Knox led Specialized Racing's men to an impressive fifth place finish in the GC.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Today was the final stage - a 30-minute contest on the beach. The course was 1.6km long, and we did 10 laps. There was a good crowd," said Knox, who raced his Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper 29er hardtail with Specialized Fast Trak Control 2.0 tires on the front and rear.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The race was fast with very small time gaps between the top 10. After halfway, I was riding with Todd [Wells], and we worked together as well as possible. We finished about 20 seconds behind the winner of the stage. After six days of racing, I was happy to finish fifth overall. Sometimes in stage racing, you need a little luck and some mistake can cost you. So I was happy to be in top five. Thanks to everyone who made it a great race."</p><p>
</p><p>
Knox noted that he appreciated the unique landscape, weather and climate of Langkawi and that the experience would serve him well in the future. "The race organizers are very passionate and enthusiastic about mountain bike racing, and I'm sure their event will go from strength to strength with dedicated people involved. It was a great event to be part of and experience the beauty and culture of Langkawi. Mountain biking is becoming a global sport of choice."</p><p>
</p><p>
On the final stage 5, Specialized Racing's Burry Stander finished third, which placed him in ninth overall. Todd Wells ended up 10th in the general classification.</p><p>
</p><p>
Most of the Specialized Racing riders are now done with their 2012 mountain bike seasons; however, Wells will head to Costa Rica for La Ruta de los Conquistadores at the beginner of November.</p>

More...