Quantcast

Dawg vs. Trance

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
I've been riding an old-school (1995?) Giant Rincon 24" (no susp.) for a while, and by the end of March I am going to be ready for my new bike.

I'm 6'7", 250lbs, and I will do XC, heavy trail riding, and some light downhill off a chairlift 2-3 times this summer. Which of these two bikes would you guys recomend over the other? I realize I can upgrade components as I go along, which I will, but I really need a frame that won't break haulin' my fat ass around. Whichever bike I get will be ridden hard. Two different shops sell each bike, and I prefer the shop with the Giant in stock, but if the Kona is much better I would go to the other. With my budget, I have to stay at the Trance 3 and the Dawg. I'm open to other suggestions too, I have been looking at some beefy hardtails with better components on them, but I prefer a DS if I can.

http://www.giantbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/6/24771/
http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/DAWG/index.html

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Based on your size and the fact that you might take it off a chairlift, go with the Dawg. 5" of travel (as opposed to 4" on the Trance) and a much beefier frame.

Edit: to say that I also had the 4" version of the Dawg and it was bomb-proof.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, I got to vote for the Dawg. I am over 2 bills and I wanted a heavy duty XC bike, and I got a 4 inch version of the Dawg.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
sweet, yeah i was thinking the dawg would be a better choice for my weight anyways, are the components much better on it than the giant, and how easy would it be to adjust the suspension to my weight? Should the shop be able to throw it in for free with the bike?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Now you have to list which model you are looking at. The things I look at first is the fork, the shock, the brakes, and the shifters in that order, and start comparing there.

As for the rear suspension, you might have a problem there. XC air shocks are usually capped around 250lbs for a psi rating, so you could be in for a blowout.

You could switch to a DHX Air, which is much beefier than the average air shock, or go to a coil, which will be heavier but more plush than an air shock and probably more reliable.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
oh, ok cool I will look at what the cost is to upgrade. I'll take a look at some hardtails as well.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Performance wise, the giant.

My opinion has always been that the Dawg's rode well, but were heavy for what they were... Which might be right up your alley.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
go with a stinky with a single crown fork.....if not then the dawg but i would make sure it has a coil and not an air shock. but sanj is right a dhx will suffice

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I haven't checked the sizes, but I would buy whichever one fit a 6'7" hurkulean frame. An "okay" properly sized bike is better than a great bike that doesn't fit.

I know santa cruz makes xl bikes for uber tall people. Don't know about others.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Unfortunately, a Coiler is out of my price range... but I'm looking at the Kona Hoss Deluxe (22") and then having a little left over for a nice fork to swap out. I think I'm running out of options for a ds around $1500 for my size, so I'm thinking more about a hardtail instead... anything will be better than what I'm riding now (just found out I cracked the frame). I like those banshee hardtail frames, maybe I'll build one up... but thanks, I'll look at SC some more.

The downhill I'm doing is windy singletrack, no crazy bombin' stuff. I've almost crapped myself enough at 60mph on my mx bike, buying new pants all the time gets pricey.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
The other bike which could be worth considering and in your price range is the Norco Fluid 2.0 (particularly the '06 model). MTB mag reviews put it at a good AM type bike particularly if you like the downs more than the ups.

Also if you're looking at the Trance you could consider a Reign 3 - shouldn't cost much more than the trance but may have a few lower components on it, and you get a burlier frame with 6" of travel that pedals really well up the hills.

Choosing between the Trance & Kona, with your weight / size I'd probably go Kona - or consider a 29er (not my cup of tea though).