Quantcast

Day 3 Cold Turkey Nicotine Withdrawal

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
It does get easier the longer you are without nicotine. I've been smoke free for almost 14 years, and haven't thought about having one for many years.

A couple of times, early on in the withdrawal phase, I dreamed about death. It is said that this is normal.
I don't dream about death, just think about it 24/7

I'm tired of thinking about death, so that's why I'm quitting. I had a thought of being at my kids graduation with an O2 tank and it was sort of a vivid thought that scared the shlt out of me. That's what propelled me to quit. Just sick of thinking and worrying about lung Kansa. It's a lot of stress, smoking. Up and down and running out late at night and figuring out a place to smoke, and the stench and the constant disease worry is what really kills ya.

When I get through this I'm going to be a tobacco hating asshole :rant:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
After smoking for 20 years, and not having much of a sense of smell to begin with, one of the few things I CAN smell is smoke, and I hate the smell. I used to dread going into a certain customer's office, because they smoked.

I didn't turn into a smoking nazi, because I know haw hard it is to quit. I just won't let anyone smoke around me.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
After smoking for 20 years, and not having much of a sense of smell to begin with, one of the few things I CAN smell is smoke, and I hate the smell. I used to dread going into a certain customer's office, because they smoked.

I didn't turn into a smoking nazi, because I know haw hard it is to quit. I just won't let anyone smoke around me.

Yeah I hear you, I just wont smoke, or be around it anyhow. PLus I don't want the urge to smoke. I was kidding, I wouldn't give anyone ****. Just taunt them that I quit and I'm over teh hump. LOL.

But when I use to smoke, 50 hours ago, I only smoked marlboro. Most of the pvssies I know smoke womens brand marlboro lights. So if I had none, I'd go without before I smoked womens cigarettes. Lights are for pvssies. You gonna kill yourself do it like a man. Marlboro Reds, LOL.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But when I use to smoke, 50 hours ago, I only smoked marlboro. Most of the pvssies I know smoke womens brand marlboro lights. So if I had none, I'd go without before I smoked womens cigarettes. Lights are for pvssies. You gonna kill yourself do it like a man. Marlboro Reds, LOL.

Amen. Lights are to cigarettes are what diet is to soda. An abomination.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I was raised by smokers. I started at 14. (my mom started at 11)

I was taught that smoking is not really bad for you and was even allowed to light my mom's cigarettes for her when I was very young.

I quit on January 18th 1998.

14 years of smoking, sometimes more than two packs a day.

Here is my foolproof secret to quitting smoking.

Ready?

You need to concentrate....this is really complicated....

Ok?

Step 1:
Stop smoking.

Step 2:
Don't ever smoke again.

It's do or do not. There is no try. If you try, you fail.

Patches, gum, etc etc don't work. The only thing that really works is will power. If you have none, don't quit. If you have some, use it and stay off the crutches.

Stop smoking and don't ever do it again. If you smoke again you are a fvcking pvssy with no resolve. Mourn the loss of your habit, get over yourself and get on with life.

Yes, you will be even more of a dick than normal for awhile. Just STFU, eat a sammich and deal with it.

I would say good luck but that has nothing to do with it.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I had a sammich and I still wanted to smoke :rant:

Seriously though after 72 hours, will the shakes end? I've sweated in bed the past 2 nights. I shake all day, but the anger isn't as bad as it usually is. I read some stuff this time about dopamine and anxiety an seratonin and how nicotine completely fvcks up those neurotransmitters. Made me really sad and pissed off as I've been plagued with anxiety for years, never thinking it was the smoking that contributed to it.

I'm just drained. I have no energy to exercize, all my bones ache and I have eaten like 6000 calories today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It's do or do not. There is no try. If you try, you fail.
I disagree with this statement, but from what I know about the poster he's fairly evolved.

Also, why quit smoking if it helps you mentally and you're still able to run several miles, bike, whatever? I'm friends with a wrench that smokes while riding and could do a century race with 2 hours sleep and hungover and kick my (and many others) asses.

Or is this just a drama queen thread?

Last edited:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
For me the process of smoking was relatively easy for the first week. It got significantly more difficult the following week. Quit cold turkey myself, did the best i could do to tailor a low stress lifestyle for myself. Essentially kept myself busy doing things i would normally do.

For me personally i didn't tell people i was quitting. It would have bothered me to have the encouragement, would rather keep it out of mind. Don't need, "oh you're doing great, don't smoke", when i would rather not think about cigarrettes.

The physical withdrawels subsided after a few weeks i believe. It was followed by the mental phase of addiction. Mental messages encouraging me to relapse, like "you didn't really want to quit", "wouldn't a cigarrette taste good now", blah blah, all kinds of self defeating messages. What worked for me was to take a mental note of all the reasons why i was quitting. "Help my cycling, can't take a full breath before going to sleep anymore, watching your loved ones die from congestive heart failure from smoking". There are more, but you have to arm yourself with reasons to motivate you through that phase.

Then i think afterwards you get into a phase where you start seeing the benefits of not smoking. Quality of life goes up, tasting better, no hacky coughs, your car doesn't stink so on so forth. Plus if you add up the cost of smoking over a year or two you can use that money to buy a new mountain bike, or whatever...

But don't think you've ever beaten it. That's where people get caught after a few years they let there guard down and pick it back up.

Also, why quit smoking if it helps you mentally and you're still able to run several miles, bike, whatever? I'm friends with a wrench that smokes while riding and could do a century race with 2 hours sleep and hungover and kick my (and many others) asses.
It's still a crutch. If you don't "need" the crutch, throw it down and start walking on your own. It's the argument that you are depending on something you truly have the strength to do for yourself. If you depend on a smoke for your mental well being (a stimulant) you are simply not willing (lazy, addicted, or whatever appropriate term) to learn how to "deal" with life on regular terms.
i do know what you're talking about though, some people are gifted with supernatural genes, and tremendous heart and lungs and defy the odds. But beyond the few isolated stories of the guy who lived to a hundred and three smoking 2 packs a day and slogging down a quart of whiskey each morning noon and evening, well those are always going to be exceptions to the rule. And the percentages have it that they don't include nary a person chiming in here...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I quit on January 18th 1998.
i just realized i don't remember the actual date i quit, but i started when i was 14 and quit when i was 27 which was 98...

Drinking and drugs from 15 to 21, so cigarettes were my last crutch.

It's so much in the rear view mirror, but if you make it down the road, it's a road with no regrets with all that crap long behind you.

It's hard but totally worth it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
try reverse physiology (hey it can work in pyschology right?) and drink a whole bottle of ipucac. Compared to how you'll feel 5 minutes after that, going through withdrawl will be easy. Nothing like gut wrenching, uncontrollable projectile vomiting to get over cigarettes. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Quality of life, as well as quantity.

If you live healthier, you are generally happier (not sick), therefore life becomes more worthwhile. Since life is generally prolonged from healthy decisions (mind,body) a person values there life a bit more and actually starts enjoying it more.

That should be the most obvious general reason.

But if you want specifics.

Never have to carve time out any part of my day to go have a smoke.
Have more money as taxes in Washington State have a pack of smokes running well over $5 nowadays. For that kinda change if i still smoked i'd grow my own...
i feel healthier and stronger emotionally as i am not depending on the stimulant for help taking any percieved edge off.
i do have more lung space which helps my riding, and i don't have that a smokers cough anymore. No more brown lung cookies hacked up anymore.
Pay less for insurance, don't have to stress out going to non smoking work sites, restaurants, or bars (which actually is all of them now with the recent law change)

There are also reasons of not wanting to "go-out" like my grandmother did with congestive heart failure. i was her caretaker while she was going down, and it's a very slow sad way to go.

As well as the liberating feeling of not being owned by my addiction. You ride the pony or the pony rides you....

i am truly no better, but from my decisions i am better off.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Quality of life, as well as quantity.

If you live healthier, you are generally happier (not sick), therefore life becomes more worthwhile. Since life is generally prolonged from healthy decisions (mind,body) a person values there life a bit more and actually starts enjoying it more.

That should be the most obvious general reason.

But if you want specifics.

Never have to carve time out any part of my day to go have a smoke.
Have more money as taxes in Washington State have a pack of smokes running well over $5 nowadays. For that kinda change if i still smoked i'd grow my own...
i feel healthier and stronger emotionally as i am not depending on the stimulant for help taking any percieved edge off.
i do have more lung space which helps my riding, and i don't have that a smokers cough anymore. No more brown lung cookies hacked up anymore.
Pay less for insurance, don't have to stress out going to non smoking work sites, restaurants, or bars (which actually is all of them now with the recent law change)

There are also reasons of not wanting to "go-out" like my grandmother did with congestive heart failure. i was her caretaker while she was going down, and it's a very slow sad way to go.

As well as the liberating feeling of not being owned by my addiction. You ride the pony or the pony rides you....

i am truly no better, but from my decisions i am better off.
Not to mention the damn things cost $5+ unless you smoke this...
:drool:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ever try "snuss"? I dunno, that's what the German's I worked with called it. Pretty much snuff. Tobacco you snort.

Man, I tried that after 1 beer beyond reason and it felt like I'd just blown a syringe full of scope up my nose... My eyes didn't stop tearing for 10 minutes.