Quantcast

Day 3 Cold Turkey Nicotine Withdrawal

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Please tell me this is the tail end of most of the misery.

I feel like absolute garbage. I can't focus, I can't even sit down and watch TV. I'm like sweating a little, shaking. Terrible sleep.

I'm doing like a gram of vitamin C every few hours, plenty of water, fireballs which are killin my stomach.

Man this is not a happy feeling. I'm tired of relapsing. I got to do this this time. I started out on the patch. Went through 2 weeks of misery, on / off, on / off, buying cigarettes, patch back on.

Then I started yelling at God basically, LOL. I think he answered as this time, I know it's finished. The rest is just doing the time.

Anybody? I'm in turmoil here.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
You got it dude, just don't let it win. Have other things near you that fulfill the same kind of stress relief, like Chocolate. Seriously, You are doing great and keep at it.

Nothing worth doing is easy.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Thanks man. Heroin? Nope. Never touched it. Know 3 people personally that are dead from that crap. I'm on month 5 off opiates permanently too. Only took them on the weekends, but after a few years of that, it beats you down.

So, cleaning up so I can have energy for my kids and family and be the man I'm supposed to be with a good attitude and energy to do things. Tired of being beat down from chemicals and crap foods and improper attitude.

So I have to eliminate everything. I didn't need anything but food and water at one point. Somewhere along the line I had the stupid idea that drugs, booze and nicotine enhance life. But I guess as you get older you realize every buzz comes with a price. I don't need any of it. DONE with it all.

Last edited:

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Been through it several times (haven't successfully quit yet). You're at the tail end if the physical withdrawal, but as you pointed out in another thread, the psychological addiction is what brings you back. All I have is find a replacement such as hard candies or the like that you can pop when a nic urge hits. Whatever you do, do NOT try Chantix. The side affects are terrible

Good luck and try not to kill anyone

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Just know that with addiction, physical or mental, it'll never fully go away. But it gets easier.

Keep up the good fight, man. You're winning the battle, AND the war.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I quit October 1st, 1999. It was rough the first month, but like the others said, ride and run outside. That was the best thing for me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I can't remember the exact date I quit, but I do remember the circumstances.
I had smoked for about 10 years. I went to a big raging party and came home smashed. I mean I was destroyed, and the hangover was like no other.

Also, I went home without any smokes. I spent a full day puking and another day or two sleeping, and I realized that was the first time in years I'd gone almost 3 days without smoking. I figured, the worst of the withdrawls were probably masked by the hangover so that was the best chance I had to stop. I haven't had a cigarette since.

Alcohol; the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can't remember the exact date I quit, but I do remember the circumstances.
The day I signed the papers to my first house. I couldn't afford smokes after that. My wife had quit nearly 2 months earlier and gave me grief about it daily.

I enjoy about 4 cigars a year.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The day I signed the papers to my first house. I couldn't afford smokes after that. My wife had quit nearly 2 months earlier and gave me grief about it daily.

I enjoy about 4 cigars a year.
Since quitting the cigs do you notice a bigger buzz when you smoke the cigars?
I quit the cigs long time ago but I occasionally will pull out one of my pipes & enjoy some good cavendish & man, it makes me dizzy as a mofo.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Go run/ride. The endorphins will help you feel better.
If you can't do that and you really enjoy hot spicy foods, load up on the chili peppers. Capsaicin, the chemical in the peppers that causes the burn, releases the same " happy endorphins " that are released during sex. If you eat something hot you will get a high from it afterwards. Being angry and under sexed most of the time I tend to plow through ridiculous amounts of the hot stuff. Give it a try, it's all natural.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
If you can't do that and you really enjoy hot spicy foods, load up on the chili peppers. Capsaicin, the chemical in the peppers that causes the burn, releases the same " happy endorphins " that are released during sex. If you eat something hot you will get a high from it afterwards. Being angry and under sexed most of the time I tend to plow through ridiculous amounts of the hot stuff. Give it a try, it's all natural.
I tend to just rub one out a lot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no the 72 hr thing isn't rubbish. its the HARDEST part. you're not exactly on easy street yet.

Go kick a puppy or a child. It'll help. Trust me.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
First 72 hours are indeed the toughest. I think I gained about 10lbs in the first week after going cold turkey.... and I think I lost about 10 friends that week too.

Hang in there. The end result is worth it. :thumb:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
First 72 hours are indeed the toughest. I think I gained about 10lbs in the first week after going cold turkey.... and I think I lost about 10 friends that week too.

Hang in there. The end result is worth it. :thumb:
Well, I have no friends. They're all married with homes, jobs, mortgages and kids. So in essence, they are gone. LOL.

I am RAVENOUS though. I guess because food is the only thing to look forward to now. Wifes going to get me an Italian, Steak N Cheese and a chicken parm sub.

I'm not worried about weight. I burn calories just by being myself. An angry asshole that is. Plus I'll run later, outside at night.

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
Eff that 72 hour crap, I'm on day 17 cold turkey and this sh!t sucks! I've been smoking for 12 years, started at 14 yrs old cuz I thought I was "cool". Well I am cool but that's besides the point. Actually it's really not that bad, I do have a serious cold tho. Doctor told me that when you quit your immune system actually weakens for a bit bc your body is not used to it so don't be surprised if you get sick. I've tried to quit before but would sneak one in when I was drunk or stressed and always said that 1 here and there is ok, well obviously it never worked but this time it's for real. I've tested the limits, I got freakin hammered a few time at the bar and a party where literally EVERYONE was smoking and I didn't have 1 at all. Kind of feels good to stand in a crowd of smokers and hearing the drunken coughs knowing that you won't have those anymore. Keep up with it man.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Thanks. I can deal with the misery and torture, you shoudl see what I normally eat.

However this dread feeling I have. It feels as if someone fvcking died. Not a good feeling and I can't imagine a month of this. I'll take a bullet before I go through 1 month of feeling as shltty as I do now.

See, I'm not convinced that it ever gets better because I have no patience and it's an excuse for my subconscious to say "see, it doesn't get better so just go buy another pack"

But I've been continuously telling myself to FVCK OFF GO TO HELL.

JHFC there is two of me, 1 that wants to smoke, 1 that wants to quit. What a mind fvck.

I wish I could just inject something into my subconscious to kill it permanently. POFS does you no good whatsoever. Keeps you safe my ass. Nothing but a fvcking hinderance. I need a new body dammit, and a new planet too while we're at it.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
The depression can be mind boggling, but is relatively short lived. Really, that weight you feel over your body, pulling you into what feels like an abyss, will be gone by day 6. The concentration is what killed me; I have an office and had been able to dip at work without issue for a long time. My brain had been trained to think with nicotine activating the neuroreceptors, and without nicotine, it was almost impossible to read or write a sentence without the drug for several weeks. This may not be what you want to hear, but I had to quit over a longer vacation that didn't require serious critical thinking, as I could not perform my duties at work in an effective manner. You literally have to retrain your brain to think without nicotine. On the vacation, I tried diligently to read and/or write every day to get my brain back on track. Not sure if there is any science to back up the effectiveness of the coping/retraining efforts, but it helped me.

Good luck, KS, it is wasted money, wasted youth, wasted time. You don't need it.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well, I don't concentrate at work anyhow, so I don't really give a ****. In the book I have, Allen Carr says that the excuse "helps me concentrate" is an illusion because of the constant stress of taking in nicotine and the body getting rid of it. The constant withdrawal causes you to be less focused and when you quit you have more concentration.

Personally I think the guy is full of shlt with his "quitting is enjoyable" BS.

I just want the dread feeling to subside, but it's only hour 49 or so.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
It does get easier the longer you are without nicotine. I've been smoke free for almost 14 years, and haven't thought about having one for many years.

A couple of times, early on in the withdrawal phase, I dreamed about death. It is said that this is normal.