Quantcast

Day 4 of 4

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why you guys so lazy this am?

Here. Some work. Cleaning before Wifey's family comes in tomorrow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
DSO woke us up at 2:30ish barking at some wildlife outside, then I needed to old man pee at 4:30. So not a good night of sleep.

I guess I should do some work this week. Looking forward to weekend rides and then Angel Fire with a crew next week.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So, after the fiasco on Tuesday, we decided to try again this morning.
Up, packed up the DH bike and on the road by 7:00. 5 minutes out from the meeting point, I get a text - buddy is feeling poorly and will not be making it. :banghead:

Turned around, drove back home, unloaded and now bitching about it . :busted:

How you doin?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Up, packed up the DH bike and on the road by 7:00. 5 minutes out from the meeting point, I get a text - buddy is feeling poorly and will not be making it. :banghead:

How you doin?
shoulda just rode solo!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm here, no word from the company so the assumption is that I am second choice and they are waiting to hear from the 1st choice on whether he or she accepts. Bummer, but I will work on making the best of my current situation. I think my wife is more upset than I am as my current job reminds her of her old job, which she hated.

Anyways, sore AF today but I hope to get a road ride in this afternoon if things work out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Still sick. Gonna plop on the couch, send a few emails, and pretend to be engaged at work.

Hopefully I feel well enough to ride this weekend.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

How you doin?
Bummer!

It might have even been a little less sandy today, with all the rain yesterday.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
shoulda just rode solo!
Was sorely tempted trust me....but with my head, it is not a good idea for me to try to drive long distances. I'm good for about an hour, after that....well - you place your bets and takes your chances. Even if I did do the 3 hour drive up, I would probably be in no condition to ride.
If I got lucky and made the drive with no issue and was abe to ride, (without dying) i can guarantee the drive home would be an absolute shit show, and I don't even want to think about how I would feel Saturday, assuming I made it home.

It is still ends up being a pretty rough day even when you are the passenger and have a relaxing ride up and back. Between the drive and the riding - massive stimulation. The next day is guaranteed to be a miserable all day big brain ache whilst festering on the couch.

Brain injuries really really suck.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Friderp, finally!

Took Monday and Tuesday off. Heading up north to the girlfriend's parents cottage thing for some relaxation and to ride some of Ontario's true gnar.

Stuff like.... :drool:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Friderp, finally!

Took Monday and Tuesday off. Heading up north to the girlfriend's parents cottage thing for some relaxation and to ride some of Ontario's true gnar.

I like the looks of that. :thumb:

I feel like I've got my line picked out, it'll just require a bit of balance and a few well timed pedal kicks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Was sorely tempted trust me....but with my head, it is not a good idea for me to try to drive long distances. I'm good for about an hour, after that....well - you place your bets and takes your chances. Even if I did do the 3 hour drive up, I would probably be in no condition to ride.
If I got lucky and made the drive with no issue and was abe to ride, (without dying) i can guarantee the drive home would be an absolute shit show, and I don't even want to think about how I would feel Saturday, assuming I made it home.

It is still ends up being a pretty rough day even when you are the passenger and have a relaxing ride up and back. Between the drive and the riding - massive stimulation. The next day is guaranteed to be a miserable all day big brain ache whilst festering on the couch.

Brain injuries really really suck.
word nerd, I thought you were 5 minutes from the ride zone, not a long drive from it. Totally understand.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Friderp, finally!

NGL that upper pic looks like no fun at all. I hate those kind of trails. The bottom one though....!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
MIL1 is driving me crazy. We're trying to renovate her CA condo to rent, but it's a fucking mess. It wasn't maintained for 30+ years, so there are mold issues, rot issues wherever water exists, etc. When I was out there last year I refused to work inside without my P95 respirator and corresponding filters. We're looking at somewhere between $50-75k in remediation and renovations on this place.

Wifey's bedroom has custom, built-in furniture that she refuses to let go of. It's really nice, old oak shelving, cabinets, and bed, but they are custom to the room. Because we're making it into a rental, we can't have the second bedroom be forced into a bedroom with storage, as not everybody will use it for that. That stuff was built over 35 years ago and it's value has clearly been used, but she can't let it go (see hoarder). She doesn't have the ability to remove them to have somebody come take them for low cost/free and while there is a lot of wood, there aren't a lot of large pieces to make it notably valuable. But she won't let go," because it's really nice furniture and it's wasteful to just get rid of it". ie. I'm a hoarder and can't let go of something that I have memories attached to.

She's also been out there for a week with the sole purpose of continuing to empty it, having a realtor out to get a real estimate of current value, having a few GCs look at the place for repair estimates, etc. She's not had a fucking person by and the only person coming by is the friend of a contractor "to take a look at their first reaction of the condition". This isn't even a GC, just a guy who does work. We don't believe he's even licensed/bonded, but he's friends with somebody shes knows, knows. And that first person is an untrustworthy ass, which she openly admits. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Oh, and she's not done any work emptying it or calling the local charity place that she prefers to send things to. She's been visiting friends instead. I filled an entire room with stuff that can just be thrown into a truck when I was out there last time, but she now needs to look through all of the bags/boxes again to make sure that everything she confirmed then was correctly set aside. To hell with the 5*5*10' sized dumpster worth of shit that needs to get disposed of... this must be review again. I can't even...

I might just take a week off (because I have all that time available) and fly out with my tools to rip this shit out, and start disposing of things. I filled up a dumpster and took two trips to the junkyard with a full Pilot when I was there in 1.5 days last time I was there and only cleared out a 10x10' bedroom and a few cabinets in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure with a week I can gut it, but that also means that I have to fight her as to the value of petty shit "but all of these pens/pencils... it's wasteful!". :banghead:
/rant

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
MIL1 is driving me crazy. We're trying to renovate her CA condo to rent, but it's a fucking mess. It wasn't maintained for 30+ years, so there are mold issues, rot issues wherever water exists, etc. When I was out there last year I refused to work inside without my P95 respirator and corresponding filters. We're looking at somewhere between $50-75k in remediation and renovations on this place.

Wifey's bedroom has custom, built-in furniture that she refuses to let go of. It's really nice, old oak shelving, cabinets, and bed, but they are custom to the room. Because we're making it into a rental, we can't have the second bedroom be forced into a bedroom with storage, as not everybody will use it for that. That stuff was built over 35 years ago and it's value has clearly been used, but she can't let it go (see hoarder). She doesn't have the ability to remove them to have somebody come take them for low cost/free and while there is a lot of wood, there aren't a lot of large pieces to make it notably valuable. But she won't let go," because it's really nice furniture and it's wasteful to just get rid of it". ie. I'm a hoarder and can't let go of something that I have memories attached to.

She's also been out there for a week with the sole purpose of continuing to empty it, having a realtor out to get a real estimate of current value, having a few GCs look at the place for repair estimates, etc. She's not had a fucking person by and the only person coming by is the friend of a contractor "to take a look at their first reaction of the condition". This isn't even a GC, just a guy who does work. We don't believe he's even licensed/bonded, but he's friends with somebody shes knows, knows. And that first person is an untrustworthy ass, which she openly admits. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Oh, and she's not done any work emptying it or calling the local charity place that she prefers to send things to. She's been visiting friends instead. I filled an entire room with stuff that can just be thrown into a truck when I was out there last time, but she now needs to look through all of the bags/boxes again to make sure that everything she confirmed then was correctly set aside. To hell with the 5*5*10' sized dumpster worth of shit that needs to get disposed of... this must be review again. I can't even...

I might just take a week off (because I have all that time available) and fly out with my tools to rip this shit out, and start disposing of things. I filled up a dumpster and took two trips to the junkyard with a full Pilot when I was there in 1.5 days last time I was there and only cleared out a 10x10' bedroom and a few cabinets in the kitchen. I'm pretty sure with a week I can gut it, but that also means that I have to fight her as to the value of petty shit "but all of these pens/pencils... it's wasteful!". :banghead:
/rant
Will she not let it go, or will you not let your objections go? :bhuddaemoji:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Will she not let it go, or will you not let your objections go? :bhuddaemoji:
Won't let it go. Unless it goes to "a good home or is used properly". I'd love to give it to Habitat for Humanity Restore, but you have to get it there. She can't remove it and has no way to deliver it. This place has sat uninhabited for over a year and is continuing to rot. It's a condo, so if it gets too poorly kept, she has to start dealing with whole building issues.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Won't let it go. Unless it goes to "a good home or is used properly". I'd love to give it to Habitat for Humanity Restore, but you have to get it there. She can't remove it and has no way to deliver it. This place has sat uninhabited for over a year and is continuing to rot. It's a condo, so if it gets too poorly kept, she has to start dealing with whole building issues.
Sell it and be done with it?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Pull all the built in's out and then post on craigslist or nextdoor and see if it can go to a wood worker. There are a lot of people who can build random cool shit with scrap material. You get rid of it and it goes for a good purpose. Win win!

Then again, if it were me (my wife too likes to hoard) I'd go there, rip the shit out and throw it in the dumpster, tell her it wasn't salvageable. She'll be pissed, you might have to sleep on the couch for a few nights, but mission accomplished and she'll eventually gets over it. However she will continue to bring it up throughout the years, but whatever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

/rant
She can't remove it and I'm 4 states away. That's part of the issue.
give her a deadline for her to do it her way. make it realistic, and make it clear that this is her final chance to do things "her way" otherwise you will be doing it your way.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My daughter (youngest) is graduating high school today. Crazy how fast time goes. She'll be off to Savanah Georgia in the fall for college. Hard to believe we'll be empty nesters come September.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Pull all the built in's out and then post on craigslist or nextdoor and see if it can go to a wood worker. There are a lot of people who can build random cool shit with scrap material. You get rid of it and it goes for a good purpose. Win win!

Then again, if it were me (my wife too likes to hoard) I'd go there, rip the shit out and throw it in the dumpster, tell her it wasn't salvageable. She'll be pissed, you might have to sleep on the couch for a few nights, but mission accomplished and she'll eventually gets over it. However she will continue to bring it up throughout the years, but whatever.
You know anybody around Santa Cruz? My biggest issue is that I'm in Denver. I can't pull the damn things out and put them onto Craigslist. We'd give the damn things away for free is someone can take them out. It's probably $1-2k worth of wood, so not a throwaway pile of wood, if someone local wants it.

give her a deadline for her to do it her way. make it realistic, and make it clear that this is her final chance to do things "her way" otherwise you will be doing it your way.
See above. I'm in another state.

two words ....

insurance fire.
Condo. Takes out everybody else too. Place is probably better off burned to the ground though.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
You know anybody around Santa Cruz? My biggest issue is that I'm in Denver. I can't pull the damn things out and put them onto Craigslist. We'd give the damn things away for free is someone can take them out. It's probably $1-2k worth of wood, so not a throwaway pile of wood, if someone local wants it.
I do know you're in CO, just saying if you took a week and came here. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in that area. I thought I remember way back when, someone here on RM in the SC area that was a cabinet maker. I maybe wrong though

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Solo ride yesterday afternoon in 85º sunshine... felt good, man. Found out that a rocky, fast, and loose 14 minute DH requires a heck of a lot more focus and effort than a rocky, fast, and loose 11 minute DH. My dang hands went numb!

Last edited:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Here.

Late for work, Wifey scolded both hands last night on bacon grease fresh off the stove. Got to cool water fast enough to not blister. Up all night helping her keep th pain under control. Asleep at 4, up at 8:30, work at 8....

Doing stuff today..

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here.

Late for work, Wifey scolded both hands last night on bacon grease fresh off the stove. Got to cool water fast enough to not blister. Up all night helping her keep th pain under control. Asleep at 4, up at 8:30, work at 8....

Doing stuff today..
You're in Canada-land. Go see if the dr's can at least help with that.