Quantcast

day after freedom day gfmt

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So an in ground??? :fancy: :fancy:
After watching my neighbor cut apart his concrete pool deck section by section over the past few years trying to chase down a leak in his feed/return lines (to the tune of > 3,000 gallons out per week), the prospect of an in-ground pool became even less appealing.

Above ground, as trashy as they may look, are removable when the time comes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
After watching my neighbor cut apart his concrete pool deck section by section over the past few years trying to chase down a leak in his feed/return lines (to the tune of > 3,000 gallons out per week), the prospect of an in-ground pool became even less appealing.
sounds like he didn't properly winterize

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
i grew up with an in ground pool. y'all acting like i'm trying to build a submarine.
:popcorn:

Above ground, as trashy as they may look, are removable when the time comes.
Our neighbor had to jackhammer out the deck and then had it filled with dirt. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot of people here will do fiberglass with salt water to help with winter survival.
fiberglass is an option we're considering. our winters aren't as cold as yours (or as they used to be here) so concrete is actually becoming more common. definitely doing a salt pool.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think today's going to be one of those 'im gonna lose somewhere north of 5lb by the end of the day' type of days. Maybe I was a bit too aggressive with my coffee and caffeinated beverages intake this morning.:twitch:In other news, my pants fit better already and wifey said I'm looking good. :brows:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had a triathlon on the schedule this Saturday. I was going to skip it due to my broken toe, but instead I switched my registration to the "aquabike", which is swim then bike. Same race as the triathlon but ends after the bike. They offer this option for cripples like me who can't/don't want to run. It'll be fun to see how fast I can hammer the 24 mile bike course without having to save any energy for the run.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Rode my nashbar flat bar bar bike down to the mechanic to pick up my car. zero shoulders whatsoever in this town, but it's a quick trip down there at least.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
went on whale watch out of boothbay this morning. no whales but porpoise, seals, mola mola, etc. since no whales will get free tix to go again in the next two years. notbad.

currently chilling on the porch with an ipa and about to make guac. might walk over to the point and work on rebuilding our stone fort in a bit. lasted 7 years before a storm leveled it this winter.

will go see my mom in memory care later on, then grab some lobsters and mussels off the dock for dinner on the way home.

no official fireworks here last night but damn do people all around the harbor do just fine making up for it on their own.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
sounds like he didn't properly winterize
Maybe, maybe not. Looks like poor site prep is at least partially to blame, one of the lines ran too close to the diving board pier and a hole got worn through with freeze/thaw cycles.

Regardless, poor guy is going through it. Cutting and chipping up 4" wire reinforced concrete along 60' of pool deck doesn't look fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe, maybe not. Looks like poor site prep is at least partially to blame, one of the lines ran too close to the diving board pier and a hole got worn through with freeze/thaw cycles.

Regardless, poor guy is going through it. Cutting and chipping up 4" wire reinforced concrete along 60' of pool deck doesn't look fun.
no diving boards. most pools nowadays don't have them b/c they are a big driver for increases to insurance. plus they require a minimum depth in many/most regions.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
i think i've finally got my wife convinced it's time to get a pool
Why not get a lakeside property. You must have a couple of millions stashed away?
no diving boards. most pools nowadays don't have them b/c they are a big driver for increases to insurance. plus they require a minimum depth in many/most regions.
Around here pools can no longer be deeper than 60 inches.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
For some, a tool is simply a means to an end, no more no less.

And I am in the office with a $375 knife, thank you very much.
MIL1 heard me complaining about how we have crappy, not super sharp knives because wifey always cuts herself with them. She bought me a very, very nice 10" filet knife for Xmas. Wifey has use it once. She cut herself. This is why I can't have nice things.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MIL1 heard me complaining about how we have crappy, not super sharp knives because wifey always cuts herself with them. She bought me a very, very nice 10" filet knife for Xmas. Wifey has use it once. She cut herself. This is why I can't have nice things.
I found something that really works well for crappy, not super-sharp knives:

Bonus: it also works for nice, not super-sharp knives. :D

Double bonus: it's cheap

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I found something that really works well for crappy, not super-sharp knives:

Bonus: it also works for nice, not super-sharp knives. :D

Double bonus: it's cheap
I just ordered one to sharpen my lawn mower's blades. I have the little two slot fits on corner sharpener with steel and ceramic V things that are no doubt the wrong angle for my knife but work ok

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I just ordered one to sharpen my lawn mower's blades. I have the little two slot fits on corner sharpener with steel and ceramic V things that are no doubt the wrong angle for my knife but work ok
Let me know how the "garden tool sharpener" version works out - I may get one if it works as well as the kitchen knife one...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're tall, just put it somewhere she can't reach