Quantcast

day after televised elder abuse gmt

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Well that about wraps it up for the US. My mind's eye sees America like that scene in Unbreakable where he falls in the pool and gets wrapped in the cover. Trapped, helpless and dying.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wish America would stay out of our News, it's either a whole bunch of people got shot or an orange annoying fuckbag saying stupid shit.

My work day was not great, 4:30 to achieve nothing, then did two services and left early.
Got on the bike and felt fatter and slower than normal.
Need a good sleep, body and brain are fooked.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wish America would stay out of our News, it's either a whole bunch of people got shot or an orange annoying fuckbag saying stupid shit.

My work day was not great, 4:30 to achieve nothing, then did two services and left early.
Got on the bike and felt fatter and slower than normal.
Need a good sleep, body and brain are fooked.
Why_not_both.jpg?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Got stung by a bee on the bottom of my foot the other day. This is very painful. Probably worse for the bee, but RIP in peace and now my foot itches/burns/swoles.

work in a bit.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Well that about wraps it up for the US. My mind's eye sees America like that scene in Unbreakable where he falls in the pool and gets wrapped in the cover. Trapped, helpless and dying.
we get what we pay for.

no returns.

all sales final.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
:wave:

Didn’t watch the thing yesterday. Not much to see imo.
Hauling soybeans today. Also picking up the new to us tractor that I bought from an old customer.

Isla’s 1st birthday party is tomorrow. Probably should mow the yard.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Working at the head office again, because quiet and better coffee. There is even a snack drawer!

Long weekend here, because its our Freedom Weekend. Looking forward to some sun and biking.

@HardtailHack try living next to those stupid fucks! :rofl:

I joke, I love MURICA. But for real, I stopped watching the news, partly because of that in general, and life is so much better. The world is so much better. The news is like reading reviews of bike parts on some forum; usually its just bad feedback, no one bothers to report the good stuff.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I couldn't watch that shit last night and I would not let my wife put it on in the house. I didn't need to go to bed angry, sad, and depressed. Looks like I made the right call.

Slept great, then was up at 5:00 to get my 2600 yard swim done. I've lost the past two workdays due to an all day off-site meeting, then not having power and internet, so now I have a shitload of work to get done.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

1000006417.gif

Your choice is still a well meaning but slightly confused old person, or a democracy destroying actual fucking fascist. Seems pretty clear to me, but I don't have to be happy about it.
:stupid:

Though please give me a VP I could get more excited about. Cause you know, no guarantee that an 81 year old sees 85.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
did not turn on the idiot box. I win

in other news. since going on my thyroid meds at the end of November I have gone from 275# to 221# and my resting HR has dropped to 51 bpm

enjoying my espresso before heading off to play with the fast driving stupid people on the roadway.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Last night I pedaled up and rode the trail I crashed on. It went better than expected in some ways, but not as good as I’d hoped. I think mostly because I was tired as heck and riding poorly, not as much because I was nervous or affected by the crash. So all that’s good I suppose. More riding on the docket for today and this weekend. Should be good.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
northboind. lost about 20 mins because i had to go back and get the toll transponder out of teh wife's car..

Got stung by a bee on the bottom of my foot the other day. This is very painful. Probably worse for the bee, but RIP in peace and now my foot itches/burns/swoles.

work in a bit.
you know what would help your foot? dh tomorrow! :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Tired because we didn't get home until almost midnight. Hannah was apparently amazing last night, which isn't a shocker because she was with a teacher who she'd been at school with since she was 2mos old. Ms. G does NOT fuck around and Hannah has no ability to push back. I have a couple of meetings today, but that's largely it. This weekend will be spent doing house chores and kart maintenance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Apologies all, but I have a bike-related question for you.

My daughter is shopping for another bike. We've tested a few, and she's pretty set on a mountain bike. We found a Scott Contessa active 40 at a local shop that she fell in love with. It's a size small, and it fit her OK when she rode it. I guess it was a special order that fell through, so it's discounted to $800. I like the bike a lot aside from it being a 2x setup, and it's probably a bit overkill for a casual rider-to-school and back.

Not so local bike shop looks to have a Liv Tempt 1 in stock for a blowout cost. Drivetrain is superior (1x10 with clutch) aside from the cranks (square) and the fork is an upgrade as well. It's an XS for $700. We haven't ridden it nor confirmed that it actually exists, but it looks like a very capable bike.

Before I pitch the Liv, what are parents/peoples' thoughts on buying a bike for a girl who is probably 5' at this point and continuously growing? I don't want to buy her a bike she will outgrow quickly, but I don't want to buy her a bike that she's too short for right now. The scott would probably last until high school or even college, the liv would be a stepping stone and we'd probably have to investigate something else as she grows out of it- but that lends the opportunity to buy something more focused (road or MTB) or nothing at all if interest fades. I know that growing up, my dad used to love to buy me big things and wait for me to grow into it, and I'm still waiting to grow into my size 13 roller blades at 41. So, I would rather buy her something that she will love now and fits well then something she's going to have a hard time with and hopes to be able to ride next year.

Thoughts? I kind of feel like typing this out makes me lean toward the scott.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

My daughter is shopping for another bike. We've tested a few, and she's pretty set on a mountain bike. We found a Scott Contessa active 40 at a local shop that she fell in love with. It's a size small, and it fit her OK when she rode it. I guess it was a special order that fell through, so it's discounted to $800. I like the bike a lot aside from it being a 2x setup, and it's probably a bit overkill for a casual rider-to-school and back.

Not so local bike shop looks to have a Liv Tempt 1 in stock for a blowout cost. Drivetrain is superior (1x10 with clutch) aside from the cranks (square) and the fork is an upgrade as well. It's an XS for $700. We haven't ridden it nor confirmed that it actually exists, but it looks like a very capable bike.

Before I pitch the Liv, what are parents/peoples' thoughts on buying a bike for a girl who is probably 5' at this point and continuously growing? I don't want to buy her a bike she will outgrow quickly, but I don't want to buy her a bike that she's too short for right now. The scott would probably last until high school or even college, the liv would be a stepping stone and we'd probably have to investigate something else as she grows out of it- but that lends the opportunity to buy something more focused (road or MTB) or nothing at all if interest fades. I know that growing up, my dad used to love to buy me big things and wait for me to grow into it, and I'm still waiting to grow into my size 13 roller blades at 41. So, I would rather buy her something that she will love now and fits well then something she's going to have a hard time with and hopes to be able to ride next year.

FWIW, my son had his growth spurt at 12. That was last year. I bought him a bike (29r medium) that fits me. It was a tad big last year, it fits this well this year, and I'm hoping his growth will slow down enough that he gets at least another year out of it.

His previous bike was a Norco HT in size XS (27.5 wheels). His brother (now 11) inherited it last year when his 24" Commençal was stolen. I had to get a super short stem, run it slammed to the headtube, a flat bar (I wasn't going to resort to an upside down riser bar...), and those Aliexpress Goldix super short cranks. It was a bit unwieldy on the trails last year, but he's slowly growing into it now. He'll be good for another year or two (depending on when he hits his growth spurt).

All this to say, I think it depends on when the growth spurt will happen. Girls are different than boys, I think its starts a little earlier? But if $ is a concern (i.e. you don't want to be buying a new bike every year), I think it's possible to get something a little too big and make it work, but the opposite isn't really true. IMO.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Did a super muddy ride last night. haven't ridden in that much mud in at least 10 years, maybe more. it was ridiculous.

Also, broke the sole of my shoe (Fizik Gravita Tensor) and the end of the cleat plate, right under the metatarsal phalanges (I think that's what it's called? where the toes start and your foot bends when you walk). I bought them in 2022, so they've only lasted two seasons. I don't really think that's good value. I think it's legit to get at least 3 years, and maye into 4 from a pair of shoes? considering I ride about 40-50x/year.

It's too bad, because they still look almost new, and I liked the fit and protection. I'm between 43 and 44 in almost all other shoe brands, so I'm bummed that these ones aren't durable. Though if I can find them heavily discounted, maybe I'll get another pair. We'll see.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I don't have little people other than nieces/nephews. But I'd say at that age it needs to be sized so it's enjoyable to ride and if you can get 1x, that's way easier for people to learn.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

We have a Contessa in the house that was the wife's, then kind of turned into the kids bike when she was riding to school. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it couldn't have been a lot. 2x drivetrain, been a great bike for what we were asking from it, i.e. Casual rider/commuter.