Quantcast

day after televised elder abuse gmt

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Apologies all, but I have a bike-related question for you.

My daughter is shopping for another bike. We've tested a few, and she's pretty set on a mountain bike. We found a Scott Contessa active 40 at a local shop that she fell in love with. It's a size small, and it fit her OK when she rode it. I guess it was a special order that fell through, so it's discounted to $800. I like the bike a lot aside from it being a 2x setup, and it's probably a bit overkill for a casual rider-to-school and back.

Not so local bike shop looks to have a Liv Tempt 1 in stock for a blowout cost. Drivetrain is superior (1x10 with clutch) aside from the cranks (square) and the fork is an upgrade as well. It's an XS for $700. We haven't ridden it nor confirmed that it actually exists, but it looks like a very capable bike.

Before I pitch the Liv, what are parents/peoples' thoughts on buying a bike for a girl who is probably 5' at this point and continuously growing? I don't want to buy her a bike she will outgrow quickly, but I don't want to buy her a bike that she's too short for right now. The scott would probably last until high school or even college, the liv would be a stepping stone and we'd probably have to investigate something else as she grows out of it- but that lends the opportunity to buy something more focused (road or MTB) or nothing at all if interest fades. I know that growing up, my dad used to love to buy me big things and wait for me to grow into it, and I'm still waiting to grow into my size 13 roller blades at 41. So, I would rather buy her something that she will love now and fits well then something she's going to have a hard time with and hopes to be able to ride next year.

Thoughts? I kind of feel like typing this out makes me lean toward the scott.
don't you have any 26ers sitting around she could ride?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
don't you have any 26ers sitting around she could ride?
Surprisingly not! I've been trying to unload/reduce the collection as much as possible. I'm down to the spooky, the eeb, the roadie, then TT bike, and my mountain bike (plus a trek with no brakes nor rear wheel attached to a trainer, but I don't count that). I'm reluctantly trying to unload the spooky to make it a cool 4.

Also, this is to be my daughter's second real bike. I bought her a wicked nice 14" to get started, trash picked the middles (20" and now 24") but she's riding enough that she deserves her own bike from an LBS that she picks out. I'll go get the scott.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Surprisingly not! I've been trying to unload/reduce the collection as much as possible. I'm down to the spooky, the eeb, the roadie, then TT bike, and my mountain bike (plus a trek with no brakes nor rear wheel attached to a trainer, but I don't count that). I'm reluctantly trying to unload the spooky to make it a cool 4.

Also, this is to be my daughter's second real bike. I bought her a wicked nice 14" to get started, trash picked the middles (20" and now 24") but she's riding enough that she deserves her own bike from an LBS that she picks out. I'll go get the scott.
I don’t have kids, but all of my friends that do kind of say that making sure the child is stoked on the thing that they have (be a bicycle or a bow and arrow or whatever) is key to them staying interested. If she fell in love with the Scott, sounds like that’s the way to go?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

that's fair. fwiw my son is on a giant stp 24" and it has a nice build. the liv seems to be in the same ballpark.

i have kept my 26" frames so that when my son (and eventually daughter) outgrow 24" wheel bikes they can use the 26" bikes I already have.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's fair. fwiw my son is on a giant stp 24" and it has a nice build. the liv seems to be in the same ballpark.

i have kept my 26" frames so that when my son (and eventually daughter) outgrow 24" wheel bikes they can use the 26" bikes I already have.
Trust me, more than anything I want to trash pick/buy used a beautiful and outdated 26er that weighs 24lbs and fits like a glove...but to @Full Trucker 's point, I want this to be a "Continue to love biking" birthday present, and not just a "you need a new bike that fits".

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
don't want to buy her a bike she will outgrow quickly, but I don't want to buy her a bike that she's too short for right now.
I got my eldest a Trailcraft Maxwell 26 that actually fits her. but then again as I have 3 kids them growing out of bikes isn't as big of a concern in my house

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I couldn't watch that shit last night and I would not let my wife put it on in the house. I didn't need to go to bed angry, sad, and depressed. Looks like I made the right call.

Slept great, then was up at 5:00 to get my 2600 yard swim done. I've lost the past two workdays due to an all day off-site meeting, then not having power and internet, so now I have a shitload of work to get done.
Same. We watched the men's Olympic gymnastics qualifying.