Quantcast

Day At The Whoops

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thought I'd share this. Nothing too wild, but it was fun little session we had at my old stomping grounds. JJMF is :crazy: for doing flips up there... if you saw the jumps and the gravel that they are made of, you'd think its the last place in the world you'd see a flip.

Check it out on Vimeo if you want to see it in HD.

And, yes, I built up a blue one. :)

:cheers:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
thats a sweet edit. I really like the flip in reverse, had me pretty spun out for a second or two....

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea I saw that edit on your blog, dope. Makes me wanna go ride some trails. Is that you on the blue liquid rig?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
nice vid & song. the blue looks good too. Had surgery yesterday and am laying around doing jack. thanks for posting up a trail vid.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That place looks like it makes some monster boogers.
lol. I've never noticed any boogers... but the dust does mess with my eyes sometimes.

Most of the jumps were built by and are maintained by this old guy Kurt... he's at least 60 (and rides the jumps!). The amount of work he has put in up there over the years is unbelievable. The "dirt" makes it impossible to build jumps the normal way, so he developed this system of hauling up water in wheelbarrows and buckets. He then sifts the dirt (because it's mostly rock) into the water and uses the mud to stack and shape the jumps... one layer at a time. He always tells the story about how he learned to do that by building adobe houses in the military. Pretty crazy stuff. I hadn't been up there in awhile, but this was pretty much the only place I rode/dug my first year in California. It's where I met most of the crew that a ride with now... so it will always have a warm spot in my heart. :)

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
lol. I've never noticed any boogers... but the dust does mess with my eyes sometimes.

Most of the jumps were built by and are maintained by this old guy Kurt... he's at least 60 (and rides the jumps!). The amount of work he has put in up there over the years is unbelievable. The "dirt" makes it impossible to build jumps the normal way, so he developed this system of hauling up water in wheelbarrows and buckets. He then sifts the dirt (because it's mostly rock) into the water and uses the mud to stack and shape the jumps... one layer at a time. He always tells the story about how he learned to do that by building adobe houses in the military. Pretty crazy stuff. I hadn't been up there in awhile, but this was pretty much the only place I rode/dug my first year in California. It's where I met most of the crew that a ride with now... so it will always have a warm spot in my heart. :)
That is a rad story with his age and his build process. Any pics or vid of Kurt riding? Good motivation for an old fart like me trying to keep at it.

And I love the pure x-up run - that cruiser looks like it runs so smoothly.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Rad. Old guys.

C_S

Chimp
May 14, 2004
Clovis
The "dirt" makes it impossible to build jumps the normal way, so he developed this system of hauling up water in wheelbarrows and buckets.
Is he still using the wagon full of five gallon barrels? I did more that a few water runs for him when I was living down there. Brutal work trying to push/pull that stupid wagon up the hill. Glad to hear he is still at it though. Super nice guy.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
ha every time my mom who is 55 too whines about riding her bike up this stupid hill going to work I'll show her this vid.

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
Nice...I'm 37 and I always have that internal question how long can I do this? I love to see someone his age digging, maintaining & riding all for the love :thumb: