Quantcast

>@<Day before Food Coma GMT>@<

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Pretty sure a bullet passed between a buddy and myself while hanging out on a snowy ridge line on the East side if the cascades. Rifle crack followed what sounded like a super fast cicada that had flown between us.

We now always joke that we are living bonus days whenever about to pursue questionable choices.
Are you sure you heard the "crack" before the cicada ?

When I got shot at practicing for a dual slalom race it was "zip" then a "pop". We would have to duck behind the berms until the rednecks that inhabited the area stopped shooting. Fucking Asheville...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

When I got shot at practicing for a dual slalom race it was "zip" then a "pop". We would have to duck behind the berms until the rednecks that inhabited the area stopped shooting. Fucking Asheville...
Yep, most rifles fire usually from 2000-3000fps and beyond, well above supersonic, so usually you'll hear the bullet/impact first, then the crack of either the bullet being fired and the round breaking the speed of sound, or if it's a silenced rifle, you'll still hear a crack from the bullet traveling faster than sound when it leaves the barrel, after impact-if you are downrange. That's kind of what snipers and hunters rely on, otherwise the target would be startled. For a rifle round to drop to subsonic would be way out of normal range where one could aim with a rifle caliber. You can get .22s subsonic if you specifically buy that ammo and over a distance they are likely to drop subsonic because they don't travel much faster normally anyways. Big fat handgun rounds like .45 are usually subsonic too.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You lose...
No kidding. I was here for the State Enduro championships and I did ride in Austin too. There is some good chunk here, but riding is few and far between. No mountains and I'm dying in this 70 degree heat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Rifle crack came about three seconds later. Just enough time to say "what the fuck".

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i got a appearance ticket for getting caught poaching a few Turkeys. I got greedy I guess. The DEC took the evidence. I am screwed $$ It was a good run however. No more Tasty turkeys....

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I'm at the (automated thus always open) car wash. My $49 Groupon purchase for supposedly 10 washes has yielded me multiple dozens. It's the non-STD gift that keeps on giving.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Man I hate hearing how people have had poor encounters with hunters. I know I can speak for myself on this, I never take a questionable shot myself. Gotta know what I am shooting at, and what is beyond. If I do not know that I will not pull the trigger. That goes for rifle, shotgun or archery.

With that said, two more deer in the garage hanging tonight. Wifey got a nice mulee first thing in the morning then I got a lil whitetail doe. Main rifle season is over this weekend, but elk has a shoulder season in a lot of areas this year running till the new year.

We will see how it goes, but next week... I am done

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
and it's beer time. The turkey was taken out of the brine rinsed dried then I chopped up an herb rub using rosemary from the garden, fresh garlic, coarse ground pepper, kosher salt, oregano, sage, thyme, and mustard in an olive oil base, and applied it under the skin. It will go into the oven at 5 am