Quantcast

Day trading chimps?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Apple at $400 is more than 10% gain so I hit the sell. Not the time I was planning to but too the numbers are nice. No telling how long the good times will roll.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
It's not a security to hold long term. It's just a leveraged inverse etf. We have been in a bull market essentially from spring of 2009 until the end of august 2011 that's why its performance is weak.

FAZ has been equally fun today.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
how do you stumble across those? they look like options i'd consider using, but i know nothing about finding them and analyzing their performance.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
so, if we were to build a Ridemonkey fund, what would be in it and how would it perform?

HANS - for Monster
LUX - for Oakley

i'm not able to find many public bike, tire, or suspension companies.

i'm assuming we should blend in some tech and beer stocks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
so, if we were to build a Ridemonkey fund, what would be in it and how would it perform?

HANS - for Monster
LUX - for Oakley

i'm not able to find many public bike, tire, or suspension companies.

i'm assuming we should blend in some tech and beer stocks.
Sram is your best bet, assuming they didn't pull their IPO

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The traders are going to put profits in the pockets of people who will turn around and use that money to do business, placing money in the pockets of the "working class" people offended by the statement.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I did, but then got back in again. I apparently didn't wait long enough before going back in. Fortunately, I'm still not playing with big enough blocks to cause any real financial destruction.

I'm eyeballing AAPL. The i5 out tomorrow is going to translate into some big sales. Though, who knows with this economy.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Be careful man. See amazon for the most recent example of hype to complete failure pattern. That and the "trend is your friend."

FWIW, I just sold my position on AAPL today. I plan to re-enter short after any bear rally or break of 372.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So is HANS. I'm thinking there has got to be a bad news day around the corner, so it may be selling time again. What a wild freak of a ride. Has the market historically seen this type of volatility on a week to week basis, or is this new since 2008, or even a more recent trend? Is it more of a function of which stocks I happen to be watching? It seems some have pretty wide swing on the 52 week high/low, while others I'm watching do tend to be tighter.

Edit - fvck AAPL, have you seen Goog? Of course you have. Q3 profits up 26% driving them up over 6% today.

I'm not sure where to go to get quarterly info the soonest it is available. Suggestions for online sources?

Edit 2 - found it
http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
The market is completely news driven right now and we are entering earnings season, let alone all the government intervention. Expect the swings to continue and the issues to be pushed under the rug again. I stand by my previous analysis that I would have to see the S&P above 1230 to turn bullish. Historically October is normally a bullish month especially late oct...grain of salt.

As for 2008, I could probably find a dozen examples of similar market behavior between fall 2008 and fall 2011 but it all boils down to $hits ugly. Long term weekly and monthly index charts look like hsit, credit looks like **** and so does the EUR/USD. This market is not going anywhere without the financial sector.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Like a high school kid, I pulled out today. With my "fun money" investments, I dumped all my hold-for-growth holdings, and only held a few non-volitile div stocks. I had more than 15% growth in both GOOG and INTC, and HANS was getting close to 10%. I just don't have faith that things won't go wonky over the weekend, and I don't want to start next week with holdings in the dump. Going with the "bird in the hand" plan.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Speaking of. AAPL has got a nice tug of war going on. Holding support at the 30 day moving average and showing a On Balance Volume divergence. I thought we would see a gap fill but i guess not, this strikes me as odd considering the market is up 200+ points today and aapl is relatively stagnant. I'm definitely staying away until something defines itself. See attached.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Wtf is up with the emails I get from The Motley Fool?! Every week it is like a white trash infomercial.
On Saturday, October 22, 2011, Andy Cross, CIO, The Motley Fool <Fool@foolsubs.com> wrote:
> The iPhone 4S has almost everything you could possibly want...
>
> Including a lightning-fast dual-core A5 processor... an ultra-sharp 8-megapixel camera... and even a voice-controlled personal assistant.
>
> But there's one extremely crucial feature the iPhone 4S doesn't have -- and not only will this put the legendary smartphone franchise even further behind its Android rivals... but it could also cause it to completely miss out on what experts estimate is going to be a $670 BILLION mobile revolution.
>
> What is this feature and why is it so important? Why are in-the-know insiders so sure it will make it into the next iPhone? And why is one of America's top investment minds confident this mobile revolution could hand well-positioned investors the kind of profits we haven't seen since the dot-com days?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Definitely made the right call staying away from AAPL in hindsight, On balance volume rarely lies. I entered short at 397 this morning, I don't see this trade lasting very long though.

RE: Motley fool. This is why I don't listen to any talking heads...well maybe Reggie Middleton. Keep your eye on the financial sector.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
watching HANS dip again with the talking heads claiming current price below calculated value. i think HANS could be my momentum trade favorite; i am getting a feel for it and the volitility swings are big enough and frequent enough to make it worth my time following without making me fill my shorts with worry.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
And I waited too long to buy HANS, they are bouncing up big today.

On the other hand, MDR is the suck, glad I don't own them.

Vague Euro news seems to be tugging things pretty hard. Once this thing gets resolved (say it happens tomorrow, just for giggles) what is going to be the big driver? Housing? Employment? Corn prices?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
It's really been nothing but selling intraday today tech wise at least* (HANS included). Have a look at the hourly charts of both aapl and hans. Sure they are up but hardly up from where they were.

Keep your eye on the financials! Again, this market will go nowhere without them. Europe is playing the buy on the rumor - sell on the news strategy very well. They are creating a **** load of rumors and no solid news.

FWIW, the market has blasted through its significant resistance areas. Even permabears like me are bullish right now, but I'm making life easy and only trading the indices and aapl now (SPY, IWM, QQQ, AAPL). I was liking the price action happening on hans, it has developed a pretty nice up trending channel, but I'm a buyer way closer to 80 and not a very committed one with earnings right around the corner on Nov. 3.

*so far

Last edited: