Quantcast

Daytona 500

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Anyone else watching?
I may be from So Cal, but I love racing. I am (and have always) cheering for Mark Martin. Yeee Haaaw!

Any other auto racing fans out there?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Not a bad race. Usually I don't care much for the restrictor plate races (Daytona & Talladega) because they are often boring and there are too many big big wrecks. But, that finish was pretty exciting. Something like 9 lead changes in the last 10 laps.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Damn True said:
Not a bad race. Usually I don't care much for the restrictor plate races (Daytona & Talladega) because they are often boring and there are too many big big wrecks. But, that finish was pretty exciting. Something like 9 lead changes in the last 10 laps.
ok, I think the finish sucked. with the 5-3 laps to go was when it was exciting, with jr. bump drafting gordon and then all the lead changes, that was cool. but with the green-white-checker finish, it just sucked because gordon just coasted and nobody challenged him. Jr. wanted to challenge, but he was stuck on the inside with whats-his-mabucket blocking him on the outside and not attacking. not the best finish in my book. but cool crashes :thumb:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Man it was awesome! I had some friends over, and we chilled and watched it in hdtv on my bigscreen whilst we drank some budlight. I even won my buddy's dale earnhardt jacket!

Nah I was busy riding today I didn't watch it. :( :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ahhh.. that was a great race. Mark Martin did well, but I wish he would have won.

I love all auto racing. I can't wait till april for the Long Beach GP. I love watching the Toyota Atlantics. Yee Haw! I sure wish they would bring F1 back to Long Beach!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Damn True said:
Crashes are not cool.
yes they are.

i watched...only cuz i had to. the last 20 laps are all you need to see in any race & that may be pushing it...more like 10. I thought it was an exciting finish, but was hoping Jr. would pull it off.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
splat said:
I was out riding during the race . even had I been Home I probably would not have watched it , I'm just not into it. but I must say I like seeing Gordon win , just so I can hear all the people who hate him bitch about it.
I hate nascar too but that is also my favorite part.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Andyman_1970 said:
Is it just me or does NASCAR seem like the WWF of the motorsport world.................

It is just you.

It's more like the NFL, well marketed, wildly popular and a huge money maker.

The WWF is a conservation group, who recently sued a pro wrestling company over naming rights, but really they not even close to being a sport entertainment company. ;)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Andyman_1970 said:
Is it just me or does NASCAR seem like the WWF of the motorsport world.................

There isnt a WWF any more, the Worl Wildlife Foundation made them change it! HAHA, owned by a bunch of geeks. :nuts:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
My point was the antics (more like poor sportsmanship) of the drivers on and off the track and how it seems similar that the artificial "hype" those wrestling associations tend to encouage.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Andyman_1970 said:
My point was the antics (more like poor sportsmanship) of the drivers on and off the track and how it seems similar that the artificial "hype" those wrestling associations tend to encouage.
they gotta make it interesting. turning left all day is boring.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
TN said:
they gotta make it interesting. turning left all day is boring.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I will say I enjoy the road course race NASCAR does, if anything to see that they can't complete more than 1 or 2 laps without spinning, or hear the more "seasoned" drivers complain about someone (usually a road course racer used specifically for that race) out braking them.........too funny.

I will say, drivers like Tony Stewart, and both Robby and Jeff Gordon (although Robby is a complete jerk) I'm impressed with as they race other series (Rolex for example) in the off season and tend to do pretty well. Jimmie Johnson kicked a WRC drivers butt (in a WRC car no less) in the Race of Champions this last year in Paris - I was impressed.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Andyman_1970 said:

Shesh Andy, yes, of course you were making that point. We were being silly.

There are similarities between all the pro sports, the people who are marketable are colorfull and adept at garnering TV time, even if it is beacause they act a fool.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Andyman_1970 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I will say, drivers like Tony Stewart, and both Robby and Jeff Gordon (although Robby is a complete jerk) I'm impressed with as they race other series (Rolex for example) in the off season and tend to do pretty well. Jimmie Johnson kicked a WRC drivers butt (in a WRC car no less) in the Race of Champions this last year in Paris - I was impressed.

Uh, ya, what you said.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
ummbikes said:
That Tony Stewart is no slouch behind the wheel either. He can flat drive.
From what I have seen he does pretty good in the Daytona Prototypes I've seen him race in.

Although Robby Gordon did pretty well in the Dakar Rally this year for his first time - he was such a winer and a baby when he had to help his teammates..........dude get over it.