Quantcast

DC area rides (lounge x-post)

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Hey ya'all.
I have a few days off in the D.C. area. Looking for a good place to go do a bit of riding. If there's nuthin nearby I'll hop on the road bike and go see the sites, but Id like to get a bit of dirt as well.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
True

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Check out: http://www.more-mtb.org/story.php?catID=3
The closest trails to DC are probably Wakefield, Accotink, Fountainhead, and Schaeffer Farm. Of those, I would go to Fountainhead or Schaeffer. They're a little further out, but much nicer than the other 2. Of course, if XC isn't your bag, maybe someone could take you up to the 'Shed.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Hey DT,

How much time do you have and when will you be in town? Also, do you have transportation to get yourself and bike(s) out of the city?

A few suggestions off the top of my head...

Fountainhead Regional Park in Lorton, VA, about 30 min. south of DC (assuming traffic isn't snarled down I95 which it usually is). The loop here is relatively short but it's a great workout nonetheless...lots of short but steep ups and downs. Unless you want to ride the flat towpath heading out from Georgetown, the only thing closer to DC would be Wakefield/Accotink which is just south of the beltway in Fairfax Co.

Patapsco Valley St. Park...about 45 NE of DC on the way up towards Baltimore. The trail network here is extensive and offers a lot of variety.

Gambrill State Park and the adjacent Frederick Watershed (a.k.a "the Shed") in Frederick, MD...just over an hour north of DC. Lots of techy, rocky singletrack to be had here. Classic east coast singletrack.

Elizabeth Furnace out in Front Royal, VA, about 1.5 hrs west of DC. Climb up, ride down...lots of good stuff to be had in this area. The trails are rocky and the closest you'll get to riding on a real mountain of any of these areas listed here.

There's also Schaeffer Farms up in Germantown, MD (about 30 north of DC) but unless you're coming later in the year it'll most likely still be closed during the current freeze/thaw season when the trails are particularly prone to damage.

If the timing's right I'd be happy to set up a ride somewhere. :)