Quantcast

DC on a Chameleon

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I've got an '03 Chameleon that I was thinking about entering into a few hardtail DH races. I've got a Boxxer Race that I can't get enough for to make it worth selling. If I set the Boxxer to 6" would it be safe to put it on the Chameleon? This frame has the headtube gussets, and I seem to remember reading a thread where somebody did the same thing, but I can't seem to find it.

Also, is it possible to buy a lower headset race only? I'd like to be able to switch forks without having to move the race around.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i dont know anything about the DC on a chameleon...but what HS crown race are you looking for?theyre usually availible for most headsets

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Dirty
i dont know anything about the DC on a chameleon...but what HS crown race are you looking for?theyre usually availible for most headsets
It's a Cane Creek, not sure which one though. The bike's not nearby to check, but I'm pretty sure it's the S2.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yup, s2 crown races are availible through QBP, so that means any shop should be able to order you one. pretty cheap. and theyre in stock.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
'03 and newer chameleons are approved by Santa Cruz for DC forks, I had a friend that put a Stratos LR-1 on his Chameleon for a couple of days, it was too heavy and too tall for the type of riding he was doing on the bike but it was still rideable.

You shouldn't have any problems putting a boxxer on if it's set to 6" but you may or may not like the way it rides, the only way to tell is to give it a try. What's a crown race cost? 5 bucks? it'd only take 10 mintues to install it, then take it on one ride and your preference should be pretty obvious.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
The Chameleon is designed to run up to a 150mm fork. Up til this last year, the only 150mm forks out there were DC forks. So I would say that you should have no problem with running a Boxxer on our Chameleon. I thought about doing that too, but then I sold the Boxxer and then I sold the Chameleon......I guess that is a moot point now.:rolleyes:

mtnbikej