Quantcast

DCI fans?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Are there any drum corps fans here on RM?

For the first time EVAr, the DCI finals will be held on the left coast this Saturday. This will be my first time at finals, but my nth show in the past 10+ years. Why it took so long to bring the finals out here is beyond me. Let's see, Florida vs. California. Yeah, tough call my ass.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Blue Devils Baby! Shoulda tried out back in the day but didn't have the $$ and needed some to start my dismal college career. Was invited by the Boston Crusaders but again couldn't afford it. Still get chills when I hear Conquest and about a dozen BD tunes. I should have gone to the show when the finals were in Foxboro, MA a couple years ago but it's the weekend of my not really mandatory company picnic. There are a couple decent shows around here, but nothing so good I need to run out and get tickets for.

I had heard Finals were going to be broadcast LIVE this weekend, but couldn't find any more info.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'm a Cadets fan myself. I've been to a number of smaller competitions (my parents usually get tickets to Allentown) and I've been the championships three times- twice in Buffalo and once in Foxboro. Great every time.

Usually, the finals are broadcast by PBS.

I marched 7 seasons with the Americanos. I missed the show here in Atlanta a while back.
Are you marching reflux?
I got to finals in Kansas City in '89. My last show. We took 4th. Should have been better, but we didn't hit on all cylinders. Call it nerves. I was on fire that night. One of the best shows I ever did, and thats how I left it. Almost got to hook up with the Bandettes Drum Major that night.
I even stole one of the little cones that mark the front of the pit.
I love watching finals. I crank the volume up and just get that feeling all over again. I miss that felling - alot!

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Marched Blue Stars for 7 years, 2 DCI champion rings. I still remember hearing Star of Indiana in 93, and Phantom Regiment. Loved corps.

Oh, and who didn't almost hook up with a Bandette...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm a Green Machine fan. for me, it doesn't get any better than Niagara Falls (i've got one of the bugles used in the Finals that year). Ellis Hampton was my hero for a number of years. i'm still pissed at myself for not auditioning.

BD's F-tuning with Ditty going in the background is ****in' rad, too.

Phantom's "A Defiant Heart" is a favorite, also. As well as pretty much everything by the Scouts.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm at home on a Friday night thanks to my lingering bronchitis. What better time to reply to this thread.

I only marched in high school; 4 years of the trumpet. Out here in Orange County, back in 95 (96?), the local corps was Velvet Knights. A buddy of mine was marching the euphonium (sp?) and he invited me along to a tryout one weekend. I use the term tryout loosely, as a monkey playing a horn could've made it. Anyway, I went to one tryout before the corps folded. Yeah, that sucked.

Anyway, I still have a grip of friends who are involved with DCI, but they mostly do guard work. A majority of them are with Pacific Crest, and I think one or two of them do some work with Bluecoats. I know what you're talking about Jet: even though I never marched DCI, some of the memories were so great from band that I can remember it like it was yesterday. Haha, the girls who marked PC still cry each time the corps plays their warmup. Pvssies.

Good call on "A Defiant Heart." I think I still have some old DCI stuff on a broken computer. If you guys are interested, I'll see if I can dig it up. Shoot me a pm. I forget the year and the corps, but the show was titled "A Russian Christmas." Freakin great program. Was it VK that did Fiddler on the Roof back in the 90s? Also a great program.

Bandette or corps whore? Haha, speaking of which. We found a girl from PC who later did the bangbus. She looked alright, but...no.

Riding, some of the BD shows have been freakin amazing. The '94 show, Chick Corea, is still one of my all-time favorites.

That is all.

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
Chapel Hill, NC/Charleston, SC
i just graduated high school, but the guy who taught our marching band came from the Blue Devils, he left the year after they won...04 i think?....we did pretty good after he came, won state every year after he started teaching. I also have some friends that marched for Carolina Crown. Too expensive for myself!!

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
I like the looser(?) 70's and 80's stuff myself. My highschool band pretty much played at least one BD tune every year including One More Time Chuck Corea, Malaguenea, Rainmaker? forget the rest. There's more "Cadets from (wherever they're from now)" influence now as the Assistant Band Director is the Drum Instructor for the cadets and recruits from the HS Band. Thanks to youtube and google video, there's tons of stuff out there to listen to and watch. You just gotta surf because the searching isn't always great.

Unless you a horn player, these probably won't matter to you but some of these BD clips definitely give me the chills:

I really wish this were longer, from a 2007 encore show with some alumni a piece from the 1988 show

- I don't even know what the note at the end by the soprano is???

Full 1988 Show Love the last minute

2007 Show - crappy quality

Makes me wish I could see finals this weekend. I remembered where I heard it was going to be playing LIVE. I guess regal cinemas has the Div 1 quarter finals. So I was a bit off. I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
a good friend of mine is on the snare line for the Blue Knights...he kept trying to get me to try out for their drum line, but i just didn't have the time or the money to do it

edit: this is one of the best percussion features in my opinion Cadets 2000

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
****in' shiiiiit. BD drumline rocked. wow. that had to have won the Championship. and the marimbas. awesome.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Drum Corps.

Marched in Highschool, 4 years 3 different instruments.
Freshman Year: Trumpet
Sophomore year: Melaphone
Junior and Senior year, Sousaphone.

Started my training on the tuba/sousaphone one day after returning from a tour in Germany and Austria where we marched in a parade and did several performances. By the end of the second day, I had everything down.

My trial by fire was my junior year. The senior that was above me, had an interview at Rutgers, the other one ahead of me somehow managed to forget 2/3rds of his instrument. Wound up doing the entire field show and all of the stand music on my own. When interviews and stuff was done for the senior year, I was section leader for the Sousaphone and Baritone section, the one who forgot 2/3rds of the instrument was placed behind a freshman. Both junior and senior years, I was principal player for the tubas. Won the overall in a national music fest that year in Williamsburg, Va. Was asked to tryout, should have instead I decided to follow what my planned major was(History) and look where that has me now, working in a bikeshop with some bar tending on the side.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
****in' shiiiiit. BD drumline rocked. wow. that had to have won the Championship. and the marimbas. awesome.

I was pretty impressed with that one shot of the marimbas and then they just stopped! I was pretty dissapointed with the coverage. Only 6 minutes of a 12 minute show? Why bother!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
After two shows in as many weeks...

Pacific Crest - Not a bad show for a tier 2 corp.
Santa Clara Vanguard - Decent music, good drill, good colorguard. The show will get them to finals.
Blue Devils - It is what you'd expect: not a showstopper, but exactly what the judges are looking for. I will say this though, there's a smokin guard sequence midway through the show that worthy of a standing ovation. Wow.
Phantom Regiment - Theme show of Sparticus. This had to be one of the most fun shows I have ever seen in person. The story, the music, the drill, the guard; General Effect was off the chart.