Quantcast

De Maar does double Dutch Antilles: he wins national time trial and road championshi

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Curacao, Netherlands Antilles – Newly-minted Netherlands Antilles citizen Marc de Maar of the UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team Presented by Maxxis is now the newly minted road and time trial national champion of the island nation in the southern Caribbean Sea. </p><p>
</p><p>
De Maar won the time trial on Saturday under very warm conditions. </p><p>
</p><p>
“It was a hard course and incredibly hot,” he said. “Normally I never drink during a TT but today I finished the whole bottle.”</p><p>
</p><p>
De Maar faced similar conditions for today’s 140 km road race. “It was a tough course again today because of the heat and also some of the roads wer e a bit rough,” he said. “I was a bit scared of crashing and of the heat, but I had a good mechanic and a soigneur handing me up bottles.”</p><p>
</p><p>
The road course included a large, 120 km loop, with three trips around an 8 km finishing circuit. “The finishing circuits were really flat, so I attacked on the last climb with 60 km to go,” de Maar explained. </p><p>
</p><p>
No one could follow, and 26-year-old essentially rode his second consecutive time trial to the finish to take his second title of the weekend.</p>

More...