Quantcast

Dead Monitor Again!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
thats on the top of my list for a new monitor. i love their Ultrasharp monitors and i was pissed when i bought their 20" non widescreen and they intro'd the widescreen 6 months later.
With a 20% coupon it would be interesting if its comparable to the HP. Wonder what kind of IPS it is? The HP is pretty well proven H-IPS and you can get it now for $517 shipped, no tax which is about the same as the Dell after tax if they offer free shipping.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
With a 20% coupon it would be interesting if its comparable to the HP. Wonder what kind of IPS it is? The HP is pretty well proven H-IPS and you can get it now for $517 shipped, no tax which is about the same as the Dell after tax if they offer free shipping.
id buy it through our company's program with Dell. it would probably come out close to the 20% coupon's price.
ive never been a fan of HP's LCD's, but i havent honestly done a comparison of their new stuff.

im really hoping to win one of our 32" sets so i wont have to something else.
its a pretty cheaply priced panel :eek:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/10/jvcs-ultraslim-32-inch-lt-32wx50-hdtv-landing-in-november-for/

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
id buy it through our company's program with Dell. it would probably come out close to the 20% coupon's price.
ive never been a fan of HP's LCD's, but i havent honestly done a comparison of their new stuff.
Most of these high end monitors from HP, Apple, Dell, NEC to all have various LG IPS panels. Dell is more infamous than HP for panel lotteries.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Most of these high end monitors from HP, Apple, Dell, NEC to all have various LG IPS panels. Dell is more infamous than HP for panel lotteries.
is it LG that makes their panels? id guess it would be a toss up b/w LG, Sharp, AOS ( or whatever its called)

if had both Dell and HP monitors and just had better luck with Dell...i guess its just brand loyalty for all the years ive had em

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
if had both Dell and HP monitors and just had better luck with Dell...i guess its just brand loyalty for all the years ive had em
Its easier to deal with Dell than HP for support and return policy. On the low-end stuff I'd take Dell (or for smaller corporate environment). I've personally owned two high-end HP monitors, 5 Dells of various price levels, and 1 high-end Gateway.

Brand loyalty on Dell monitors is silly since they often do revisions and swap panels on the same model, they are notorious for it though at least its no problem to exchange it for another or sometimes they'll even give you a full refund many months after you bought it for very minor issues inherent to the LCD technology :D

Used teh google:

Dell U2410 - LG IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1) - updated version of the IPS panel that the HP LP2475W uses
HP LP2475W - LG IPS (LM240WU4-SLA1)
Philips 240PW9EB/75 - LG IPS (LM240WU4)
NEC 2490WUXi – LG A-TW Pol (LM240WU2)
Apple LED Cinema Display - LG IPS glossy shlte (LM240WU6-SDA1)

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
swapping panels in LCD's is nothing new.....unless they do it mid-year without a model revision.

ive liked their panels because of aesthetics, price, image quality and build quality.
im sure if something came around that caught my eye, id buy that too tho

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
swapping panels in LCD's is nothing new.....unless they do it mid-year without a model revision...
That is exactly what they have done hence its been nicknamed a lottery. Posted the LG panels in the high-end 24" displays above.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Going to get my wife a new/used G5 in a bit and will need to get a monitor to go with it. The new 24" HD Cinema display can be had for $599 refurbished. I'm not set that we have to have an Apple monitor...thoughts?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
their 24" LED Cinema display?

they dont give too much info on the type of LED lighting it uses, but most LED panels are great looking

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
their 24" LED Cinema display?

they dont give too much info on the type of LED lighting it uses, but most LED panels are great looking
Most computer LED panels (especially notebook LED displays) only do about 70% gamut - bright and lower power but not great otherwise. Even the Apple panel (which sucks ass since its glossy):

Digital Arts said:
We measured the colour gamut using the same process as the monitors in our recent group test of pro-level monitors, and found Apple’s display to have a far smaller gamut than any other LED monitor we’ve looked at. It would be unimpressive on an inexpensive LCD display too. Colour depth and accuracy were also mediocre.
If she isn't concerned about viewing angles, gamut, etc you could just get a cheap TN or a mid-range VA paneled monitor.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This one. hmmm uses Mini Displayport. Not sure if the tower I'm looking at has that or not...
Definitely not, buy the HP mail order or the Dell direct w/a 20% coupon if you want a high-end monitor if you are real picky otherwise you can get away with a 22" TN panel LCD monitor like the Acer splat mentioned or the one Stinkyboy has.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Most computer LED panels (especially notebook LED displays) only do about 70% gamut - bright and lower power but not great otherwise. Even the Apple panel (which sucks ass since its glossy):
thats good to know.

id kinda figured they would have used Samsung or LG's panels since there are only a handful LED panel makers.

that quote basically said if its not Scottish, its crap!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
thats good to know.

id kinda figured they would have used Samsung or LG's panels since there are only a handful LED panel makers.

that quote basically said if its not Scottish, its crap!
It seems there isn't as much technological push in LCD monitor as there are in LCD HDTVs right now of course the market is large/more competitive for TVs. Wonder how long it will take for OLED monitors since it seems larger TVs are on their way already.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
youre gonna wanna get a panel that can show as much of the RGB scale as possble then
Yeah the Dell w/the 20% coupon ($480 + tax, not sure about shipping) otherwise the HP from costcentral.com for $517 delivered - both have excellent LG IPS panels.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It seems there isn't as much technological push in LCD monitor as there are in LCD HDTVs right now of course the market is large/more competitive for TVs. Wonder how long it will take for OLED monitors since it seems larger TVs are on their way already.
OLED's are still stupid expensive to produce. i think the biggest model shown was a 15" and theres only one tv on the market, the Sony 11"

youll see more concepts at CES next year since nothing was shown at CEDIA last week.
i have seen a 32" OLED, but we wont bring that to market for several years

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
OLED's are still stupid expensive to produce. i think the biggest model shown was a 15" and theres only one tv on the market, the Sony 11"

youll see more concepts at CES next year since nothing was shown at CEDIA last week.
i have seen a 32" OLED, but we wont bring that to market for several years
Well they are always coming up with new stuff:

http://www.oled-info.com/scientist-say-new-tech-could-make-manufacturing-oleds-be-inexpensive-printing-newspapers

SEDs were supposedly going to be cheap to mass produce too but I guess the battle in the courts screwed up the momentum for that technology:rant:

edit: SED blog, heh - http://www.sed-tv-reviews.com/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well they are always coming up with new stuff:

http://www.oled-info.com/scientist-say-new-tech-could-make-manufacturing-oleds-be-inexpensive-printing-newspapers

SEDs were supposedly going to be cheap to mass produce too but I guess the battle in the courts screwed up the momentum for that technology:rant:
flexible OLED screens will come of age, but not for some time...at least to mass produce.
there have been small runs of E-Ink ads in magazines, but nothing widesrpead

the SED i saw at CES 4-5 years ago was the bees knees for sure. both parties decided to battle it out and court and basically forget about he technology all together

“When it comes to costs and technological expertise for commercial production, we need some time to catch up.
yeah..many, many, many, many years. theres no way theyll pull this off by themselves. they needed Toshiba

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah and it would have been huge if Sony didn't quit either...
i was bout to comment on your first post there...patents dont mean anything. for Canon to break into the consumer market at this time of our industry, is stupid. Pro products is one thing, the consumer world is cut throat.

i didnt know Sony was part of it. if they were, it only makes sense after they invested billions into their new panel plants

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i was bout to comment on your first post there...patents dont mean anything. for Canon to break into the consumer market at this time of our industry, is stupid. Pro products is one thing, the consumer world is cut throat.

i didnt know Sony was part of it. if they were, it only makes sense after they invested billions into their new panel plants
Well Sony was thinking about doing FED which was pretty similar technology:

As I reported at FED TV Reviews, Field Emission Technologies has given up on producing field emission displays and FED TVs.

Sony stated that the reason was trouble obtaining financing for production. Not acquiring Pioneer’s plasma plant last year really threw a wrench into their spokes.

The big question for SED TV fans is whether or not this is a good thing for SED TV technology.

FED is gone for now, Pioneer Kuro is no more, OLED TV in any decent screen size won’t be here for a LONG time.

What will Canon and SED Inc. do next?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well Sony was thinking about doing FED which was pretty similar technology:
well until a new technology comes into play, ill stick with the newer LED's. my buddy just got a Samsung LED and i should be getting one soon from Haier (my father's company)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
well until a new technology comes into play, ill stick with the newer LED's. my buddy just got a Samsung LED and i should be getting one soon from Haier (my father's company)
I never knew those companies made those giant roadside LED displays:weee: Local-dimming or edge lit LCD HDTV?

I've watched the benchmark 1080p 56" HP DLP HDTV for while, its pretty great but I'm one of the few people that can see the rainbows...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I never knew those companies made those giant roadside LED displays:weee: Local-dimming or edge lit LCD HDTV?

I've watched the benchmark 1080p 56" HP DLP HDTV for while, its pretty great but I'm one of the few people that can see the rainbows...
they are coming out with both edge lit and local dimming sets.

i have always seen the rainbow effect with DLP's. i have never been a fan of them except for a 3chip FPJ which are a lot of money.
i had a choice to get a sample Mitsu DLP we had in the office for demo purposes or one of our LCoS sets.
it was a no brainer. i bought it to watch the Bears lose the SuperBowl

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
they are coming out with both edge lit and local dimming sets.
But you are going to pick up one of those full color LED billboards though:D

i have always seen the rainbow effect with DLP's. i have never been a fan of them except for a 3chip FPJ which are a lot of money.
i had a choice to get a sample Mitsu DLP we had in the office for demo purposes or one of our LCoS sets.
it was a no brainer. i bought it to watch the Bears lose the SuperBowl
Well back in 2005/early 2006 when the MD5880n was bought, nothing in the price range was comparable. The other DLP and LCoS displays I demo'd weren't as good. They tested out well in various mags too:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdtvs/876

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But you are going to pick up one of those full color LED billboards though:D

Well back in 2005/early 2006 when the MD5880n was bought, nothing in the price range was comparable. The other DLP and LCoS displays I demo'd weren't as good. They tested out well in various mags too:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdtvs/876
no, no billboards for me. i watch enough tv and having a billboard would just be too awesome

yeah, back in 2005/2006, our LCoS technology isnt what it is today or was two years ago. our tv's were over bright and the colors were over saturated.
i still wish we made rear projection LCoS sets, but wer are only focusing on our awesome FPJ's.