Quantcast

Dead Monitor Again!

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Are you smacking these around too much and knocking out the backlight bulb?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I don't remember ever smacking (or even flicking) my monitor.

Is it an easy fix? Should I Free my Viewsonic on Craigslist or throw it in the trash?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
If its the bulb, just gotta open it up and replace it.

Ive always been under the impression they were good. Shouldn't be failing after two years, twice, but normally it is the bulb in nicer monitors.

With it on, can you peer into it or screen at different angles and see a faint glow/image anywhere? Or see it at an obscure angle when you first flick it on?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It had "blacked out" a few times recently, so I turned everything off, reseated the cable and it would work, but then it got to the point where I reseated all of my cables (external hard drives, etc) and eventually it would work. I spent over an hour screwing with it (different monitor cables, etc.) today to no avail, so I said screw it.

Actually I found the receipt and it's 1 year old, but I do leave my machine on 24/7.

Edit: I saw nothing with it powered up.

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Rex Grossman probably hit him with his porche on his way to banging like 53 hot broads.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If its the bulb, just gotta open it up and replace it.

With it on, can you peer into it or screen at different angles and see a faint glow/image anywhere? Or see it at an obscure angle when you first flick it on?
easier said than done. most companies will not give a consumer replacement bulbs. plus the price is usually so high, that a new monitor would be cheaper

Rex Grossman probably hit him with his porche on his way to banging like 53 hot broads.
no, he would have missed the lizard by at least 10 yards.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I don't remember ever smacking (or even flicking) my monitor.

Is it an easy fix? Should I Free my Viewsonic on Craigslist or throw it in the trash?

craigslist man! "I don't know what's wrong with it, maybe you can fix it? $20"

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Finally got around to sending the Viewsonic back a couple weeks ago, and this arrived today:

First $200 takes a new 22" widescreen in an unopened box.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i should get another screen.
The one splat mentioned is acceptable if you want cheap. The HP LP2475w if you want something nice (H-IPS panel) without going overboard.

Keep in mid TN panels have poor viewing angles so they aren't the best choice for multi-monitor setups

splat

Nam I am
The one splat mentioned is acceptable if you want cheap. The HP LP2475w if you want something nice (H-IPS panel) without going overboard.

Keep in mid TN panels have poor viewing angles so they aren't the best choice for multi-monitor setups
I used to have a High end HP at work. one day I tunred it on, and smoke started coming out of the back of it. and for $600 it better be a lot better that the view sonic or acer

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I used to have a High end HP at work. one day I tunred it on, and smoke started coming out of the back of it. and for $600 it better be a lot better that the view sonic or acer
It has a three year warranty, its $520, and its an H-IPS panel, not TN. If you knew anything about LCDs you would not have to be told anything else, the panel type is a huge difference. It also has a wide-gamut backlight so you get 92% NTSC color, about 20% more than most LCDs like the acer.

Here is a detailed review - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Or a more mainstream one:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/review/2009/03/27/HP-LP2475w---24in-H-IPS-Display/p1

Toshi and Transcend were happy with theirs so I splurged for one earlier in the year. Its a bargain for a widegamut H-IPS display.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just picked up a Samsung SyncMaster T240. First big monitor in this family and I am in love. Can't believe how well it display video like Youtube stuff the normally looks crappy on the lap tops.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've got the 25.5" version of that Hannspree. It's 2ms though.
Very nice. $230 @ Bestbuy.
Good lord consumer electronics are getting F'in cheap.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Dell has released an IPS 24" for the US market, no reviews in the US, but here is one - http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-339298064.htm

Should be a nice option when they run their sales, coupons, bundle, or refurbed.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/14/dell-24-inch-u2410-ips-monitor-sneaks-out-for-599-us-retail/
thats on the top of my list for a new monitor. i love their Ultrasharp monitors and i was pissed when i bought their 20" non widescreen and they intro'd the widescreen 6 months later.

Chief's new dual monitor, articulating arm would make my setup even more better. i wish they had a add-on to my existing one

Last edited: