Quantcast

Dead screen samsung

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The screen on my Galaxy died but I can tell the phone still has power and the buttons work. Can't see anything though. No google account back ups. The peeps at the Verizon store said I am SOL for retrieving the contacts and pictures.

I said to them, if I was guilty of some terrible crime they could get my data instantly...

Am I SOL? Has anyone had any experience getting stuff off a phone with a dead screen?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Take it to a shop and have them replace the screen.

Some phones also have HDMI out, so you can get an adapter for the USB C port and then view the phone on your TV. Setup a backup and then you're done.

Can probably just use a generic one...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Take it to a shop and have them replace the screen.

Some phones also have HDMI out, so you can get an adapter for the USB C port and then view the phone on your TV. Setup a backup and then you're done.

Can probably just use a generic one...
Man. It was working. I had my old phone pulled up on the TV and was using a mouse and keyboard to get through it. I was using smart switch to make the transfer and the S8 seemed to die suddenly and now appears to be dead. I don't even know if there is anything saved on the SD cards - it may all be saved in the memory on the phone. Dang, I will find out more tomorrow.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man. It was working. I had my old phone pulled up on the TV and was using a mouse and keyboard to get through it. I was using smart switch to make the transfer and the S8 seemed to die suddenly and now appears to be dead. I don't even know if there is anything saved on the SD cards - it may all be saved in the memory on the phone. Dang, I will find out more tomorrow.
That sucks.. did you get it working again?

Did you try a hard reset while its powered on - if you can get it turned on? I had a phone completely die on my, won't turn on, reboot..nothing. But doing a hard reset, or going through the initial steps at least, somehow woke it up.

Can try going through those steps, but at the end obviously don't choose to wipe out the phone :dead:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@canadmos

I tried again last night and had the screen up briefly before it blacked out. When I get strava messages that phone beeps along with my new one so I think it's on? Yet the buttons don't appear to do anything. Maybe 4 years is stretching it with the phone life span.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
My ancient S7 did this last year. Lost very little - most everything backed up in various ways, and music/photos/etc on the MicroSD.

Made transfer to the newer S20FE very easy.