Quantcast

:dead:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, the folks in europe pay something like $4-6US for a gallon.
still most happy i don't drive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How will people survive? It is going to get tough for those people commuting in their 5 ton vehicles, and especially tough for those who need to drive to the end of their driveways to check the mail. The American way of life is on the line here.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Westy said:
How will people survive? It is going to get tough for those people commuting in their 5 ton vehicles, and especially tough for those who need to drive to the end of their driveways to check the mail. The American way of life is on the line here.
the only places i have to drive to are school 20min and "work" 10min i try to ride my bike for anything else. and i still end up paying over $50 a week in gas and thats in a little toyota 4banger truck.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
Once the weather gets a bit more decent, I'm gonna commute 2-3 days a week on my bike. I think maybe I'll get a carpool going, too.......

-S.S.-
Yeah, I can't wait for warm weather and long days so I can ride my bike to work a couple times a week (40 miles each way). Of course, I am not going to do that to save on gas, I'm going to do it for the mere sake of riding my bike. :)

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Lowest I saw today was 1.98 for 87... That was outside the city near school. The place down the street from my house in downtown is 2.13 for 87

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
europe has had $5/gal for years, hopefully this will stop people from driving stupid SUV's everwere, dont get me wrong SUV are kickass but you dont need to drive one to the mall. :rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I tried looking for it, but didn't find much. :think:

What is the tax rate on gas in Europe and Canada and then what is the US.

I am assuming that Canada, and more so Europe, tax the living crap out of gasoline.

Anyone find info regarding the tax rates?

Just foud this and it was % amounts
http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/glotax/carbon/001101.htm
In Europe, fuel tax can amount to more than 75% of the price at the pump. Comparatively, gas taxes in Canada represent approximately 40% of the price at the pump, with variations between provinces and territories. In the U.S., the tax percentage is only 12.5%. Why the disparities? Well, because just like businesses, countries have different goals -- and taxes are placed on consumption goods as a vehicle by which governments attain these goals.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
RhinofromWA said:

I am assuming that Canada, and more so Europe, tax the living crap out of gasoline.

They do tax the $h!t out of it, which is why they have 60mpg diesel and other super efficient cars, made by GM, Ford, and these other american companies that swear up and down that they couldn't develop something that efficient here.

Expensive gas drives development of efficient cars, but unfortunately, certain politicos like to sell us a lot of expensive, but not prohibitively so, gas.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
RhinofromWA said:

Here in the U.S. it is usually a combination of both state & local taxes. For example, here in Colorado the taxes amount to $.40/gallon. :dead:

-S.S.-

Edit: Here's the skinny:

Colorado's highway motor fuel taxes resulted in total receipts of $518 million in 2000. The state collects 22¢ per gallon on gasoline, 17¢ per gallon on gasohol and 20.5¢ per gallon on diesel fuel. 13 states have higher gasoline tax rates than Colorado. 60% of state taxes collected go to the State Highway Fund to be used by various agencies within the Department of Natural Resources to replace depleted natural resources, complete water projects and promote the mineral and mineral fuel industries.

A federal tax of 18.3¢ per gallon is also collected on the sale of gasoline (13¢ per gallon on gasohol and 24.30¢ per gallon on diesel).

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Barbaton said:
They do tax the $h!t out of it, which is why they have 60mpg diesel and other super efficient cars, made by GM, Ford, and these other american companies that swear up and down that they couldn't develop something that efficient here.

Expensive gas drives development of efficient cars, but unfortunately, certain politicos like to sell us a lot of expensive, but not prohibitively so, gas.
Except if you want to put more than 3 bags of groceries the car is worthless. :D j/k

Expensiv gas also contributes heavily to unemplyment and increases in costs of everything else....yet after spending the $$$ on the new car and the higher price of gas all you are left with is mosre expensive everthing else....:)

Sorry scannng the European gas tax stuff on the net also brings out the critics of the problems Europe has with taxing gas so much.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
http://www.ncpa.org/pi/taxes/pd050200b.html

The flip side of raising gas prices....

Renewed calls for an increase in the federal gasoline tax have caused some observers to wonder what has caused a return of this cry to jack up the cost of a gallon of gas in order to "conserve energy."

Along with levies imposed by the states, the federal government extracts 40 cents to 75 cents per gallon.

That accounts for 40 percent or more of the retail cost to motorists.

Tax backers say Americans should "pay their fair share," the way European and Japanese drivers do -- and pay anywhere from $2 to $4 per gallon.

Observers point out, however, that the free flow of energy at close to market rates is critical for a healthy economy, and that we would not be in the midst of almost 10 years of uninterrupted growth were it not for restraint in applying taxes to fuel.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I can't wait to afford a new vehicle that gets better mileage. I used my mom's Volvo wagon to drive to Snowshoe last summer. 1,550 miles round-trip. Her car saved my woman and me $100+ in gas. Driving a car that gets close to 25-30mpg highway beats the hell out og my 15-18mpg Pathfinder

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I wanted a big ol' truck for roadtrips and daily driving. I go out of the city for everything I need to get, so parking my Ram 2500 Cummings isn't too bad. According to my gas expendatures this weekend going to and from Va Beach I'm getting about 21 MPG driving 85 the entire way. Not bad for a super duty carrying 5 190 pound guys and a bed full of coolers of beer. Payed 1.98 at the PX.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Barbaton said:

The new version of the golf in europe gets absurd mileage, yet they cannot release it over here due to gov't regulations protecting the fuel industry.

In canada we are currently paying almost $1cnd a L. (94.9c/L in Montreal).
Multiply that by 4, and consider $1 cnd = 82c Usd right now.

Stop bitching, and get a smaller car.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
}
in europe is 2/3 to 3/4 of the prices in taxes. same in japan, and actually most of the world that is not an oil producer of the US.
how long could that go on?? i dunno. but people depend way too much on their cars in the US....

if you kinda analyze it, overdependance in cars and long conmutes are very innefficient ways to waste man-hours. in some places taxes on gas, and on cars and tolls are high to discourage people from wastefully using a car with a single occupant, or to encourage them to use the mass transit system which constrains people to live close and diminished conmute times, and fuel waste...

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
well, i was down at the petrol station in my buddies car, the prices went up to 82.3p per litre, thats up from 79.?p the other week.
i cant be bothered doing the maths, but its a hell of a lot more than you guys are paying.
i'm just glad than i'm not driving at the moment.

i was listening to the news last week, and they were talking about petrol prices, but what caught my attention was, if things keep going the way they are, £1 per litre may not be far off.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
i get 10 mpg in my jeep and it sux...it would cost me like 50 bucks to fill up and that would last maybe 5 days.

gas prices r so gay.