Quantcast

Deadly traps on Marin County trails

Nov 27, 2006
Petaluma
Dear Trail Users of Marin County,

Last evening a few friends and I went out to ride a trail in the Cascade Canyon area of Marin called Split Rock. Yes this trail is restricted to bikes, but as we all know, it is a very well known trail and ridden frequently. For those of you who have ridden this trail you know there are many different entrances, most of which are NOT posted as no bikes.

Anyway, as we dropped into the trail we can upon some very nasty and extremely dangerous surprises. First, there were barbed wire fences built across the trail, followed by a big boulders rolled into the middle of the trail. The tops of these barbed wired fences were painted bright orange, so at least unsuspecting trail users could see these blockades as long as they were looking up. The most troubling booby traps came farther down the trail in the tree covered, dark section... The saboteurs had pounded rebar into the trail, spaced every 3 inches, and then BENT the rebar at a 45° angle to point directly at you as you approached it, this rebar was also painted dark green to further camouflage it to the unsuspecting trail users. I did not count the number of booby traps, but I would say there were at least 5-7 different traps extending down the first 100 yards of trail.

There are all sort off issued that arise from vigilanteism/vandalism of this sort, the least of which is trail erosion from users (hikers and bikers) going around the traps and the traps themselves holding water and causing the trail to break away.

I can only speculate who and why someone might vandalize a trail in this way, but in my mind it was done not only to deter mountain bike use, but most alarmingly to INJURE, MAIM OR KILL the bikers that do use it.

In my ten years of trail use (hiking and biking) I have never seen anything like this, and it is clear to me that the “dispute” between trail users has been taken to a whole new and deadly level!

It is no secret that a large portion of mountain bikers in Marin County ride illegally on single track trails, and we all take our chances of being issued tickets for doing so, this is an issue between bikers and law enforcement officials. It certainly seems to me that having “legal” trail users vandalizing trails in order to injure or kill other trail users is a FAR greater offense, and law enforcement officials should be turning there attention not to illegal bike use, but to the people who are doing the true damage to the trails and other people.

Most of us have been verbally,( and some physically) assaulted on the trails of Marin, as “illegal” users we usually try to talk calmly to our assailants or ride away, not wanting to endure the all to familiar rant of the “legal” trail users. I now fear not only for the bikers who might be injured or killed by these new traps, but for the hikers who might be opening themselves to the same physical violence by angry bikers who are tired of being targeted.

I can not understand why, as adults, all trail users can not come to some sort of agreement on trail use. These acts of violence serve only to escalate the problem and will no doubt end in tragedy for someone.

Please pass this on to anyone who you think can stop this violence.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow that’s really scary. Normally at my local trails people put sticks across the trails that you can normally manual over. That’s just down right dangerous. I can’t believe that someone would go to such an extreme to purposely try to harm someone with those 'traps'.

I bet they were old.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Document things like this with pictures (making sure there are no bikes in the background) and report it with pictures to the police.

Also contact the local media and show them what your found while hiking...

Raacerx

Monkey
back im my hometown in the east bay, we had hikers dig holes in the local downhill trail, sharpen sticks and put them in the ground facing towards the rider (pungi status) and then cover the hole with a light layer of leaves so unsuspecting bikers could fall in it and either flat or impale themselves. Branches at head level around corners, glass in the trail, and eventually a hiker literally trying to take my bike from me are some of the other things we dealt with. At some point the booby traps sort of disappeared as randomly as they had come and its been a few years since i heard of anything drastic. Might be time to give the trail a little breathing room for awhile and then try to revive once things have died down a little.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I found the Punji stakes Max is talking about. I came around a blind turn down a blind roll-in that had a hole dug into it with punji stakes planted in the landing. I ended up veering off into a tree at about 25 to avoid hitting the stakes.
Traps are a serious problem. You really should take pictures of what you came across and get it to the police and take videos and get it to the media. Make sure this get publicized

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sounds like R.E.I. is supporting some more Eco-terrorists...

I managed to dodge some fishing line on a certain "nameless" Santa Cruz trail one day. But it's funny to me. I've never seen hikers (okay, I think I've seen two (2) hikers, one (1) time on one of those trails) in the two years I've ridden there.

Insane if you ask me.

I thought it was all about free-love, green, and cum-bah-yah.

Not... "For tomorrow, my dreadlocked haired, unkempt children... we can destroy the trail for ALL people, just to get at a few mountain bikers. And no... we shall not poke them in the eye with sticks. We shall destroy their equipments, and hopefully impale them with large, rusty objects."

Guess that's what you get with a Berkeley education.

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
mmmm all we have to do is start a rumor that mountain bikes are...get this eco friendly...oh and carry brownies with us to throw at them to distract them as we ride off.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is VERY vandeman-esque, but he lives over in Berkeley. He's the one that chucked a pinecone at one of my friend's (a 100# girl) and we believe he setup the traps in the Berkeley hills. He also attacked one of my coworkers.
I would not be suprised if it is him, but it is a little far out of his normal range.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Went out there last night. Can't let the terrorists win.

Pretty much all clear. There is a boulder in the middle of the trail near the top, and I noticed some faint flourescent markings in a few spots a little lower. I'm assuming those are from someone marking the rebar before it was removed. No other issues, and super fun as always.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Article today in the SF Chronicle:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/16/BAGIHOMGND1.DTL

I have very mixed feelings about this kind of publicity. I also have mixed feelings about advocacy for bike-only trails. I sure like the concept but it seems we are not going to get anywhere if we argue we need our own trails, there are too many other user groups that could say the same thing. No, on balance I think we need to continue to show that we can get along with other trail users and that we don't need special treatment. In popular areas like Marin there just seems no way we're gonna get exclusive trails.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_5449341

The BIG issue here is these "traps" weren't set by hikers, but by EMPLOYEES of the Marin County Open Space District.

This is really, really F'd up and sends the wrong message to all kinds of people.

I don't know what will come of this in the next few weeks, but I hope somebody loses their job. There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything. This was about as wrong as you can get. I can't even begin to comprehend the thought process.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't know Dana, but personally I think the bigger question is if mountain bikers are characterizing legitimate District efforts as being booby traps designed to maim and kill, particularly in such a public way. There have been wire fences erected on that trail from time to time over the years, they are usually very conspicuous and I would never consider them traps. They are what they are: Unavoidable obstacles that completely extinguishe an argument that the rider were not aware the trail is illegal.

I understand the frustration but as long as the trail remains illegal, it's a bit misguided to lash out at the District for their enforcement efforts. We're not going to get anywhere without them on our side.

Having said that, if individuals vandalized District obstacles in a way that created dangerous traps, I understand the reaction and share the outrage.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I understand the frustration but as long as the trail remains illegal, it's a bit misguided to lash out at the District for their enforcement efforts. We're not going to get anywhere without them on our side.
I see your point. Things may be getting blown out of proportion.

IMO - Fences, logs and barriers are common, we see them everywhere. I can't imagine the people I ride with freaking out about a fence and sending me warning emails about boobie-traps.

I didn't see it, but the things I've heard imply that it was not at the trail head, but part way down the trail. The way it was laid out doesn't sound indicative to a barrier, but more as vandalism.

Everyone thought this was vandalism aimed at hurting cyclists untill it came out as arranged by the parks dept. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I've never seen a cattle grate or fence and screamed "Ahhh, vandals are trying to maim me!"

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I didn't see it, but the things I've heard imply that it was not at the trail head, but part way down the trail. The way it was laid out doesn't sound indicative to a barrier, but more as vandalism.

Everyone thought this was vandalism aimed at hurting cyclists untill it came out as arranged by the parks dept. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I've never seen a cattle grate or fence and screamed "Ahhh, vandals are trying to maim me!"
Exactly. Fences have been erected at different parts along the trail in the past. Some were cobbly efforts that looked like the work of disgruntled hikers, others were more clearly official work. In this case, I also want to give Dana the benefit of the doubt and am assuming that what she reported is what she saw, and that it was the result of vandals who modified the District's efforts. (I don't really want to consider the alternatives.) In any case, crying vandalism and intent to maim over what may have been a legitimate District effort is not a good idea. They are not the enemy.

I would also like to point out that for a while (like years) that trail was posted as off-limits to ALL users, including hikers. Now, the one sign out there has the symbol for no bikes, but no mention of other users.