Quantcast

#@&DEADPRESIDENTSDAY&$#

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hitting a child is assault and battery. End of story.
Unless they hit you first. Then all bets are off. You can only bash their head off the railing on the porch once. Anymore then that you can be charged with Assault of a Minor. Make sure there are witness'. You are never allowed to choke them out, under any circumstance. No matter how much they fight back. If the child is on probation for assault and possession of a weapon, then you're in the clear no matter what the screaming yelling 400lb Mom says. Let the cops sort it out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unless they hit you first. Then all bets are off. You can only bash their head off the railing on the porch once. Anymore then that you can be charged with Assault of a Minor. Make sure there are witness'. You are never allowed to choke them out, under any circumstance. No matter how much they fight back. If the child is on probation for assault and possession of a weapon, then you're in the clear no matter what the screaming yelling 400lb Mom says. Let the cops sort it out.
you have knowledge on some awfully specific scenarios.....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd say that the parent's are missing a golden opportunity to build a LOT of character with this child. :mad:
Yep.
i would not hit a dog let alone a kid....
I agree with this, esp the dog part.

Growing up though ('70's Michigan) it was pretty common for us to get disciplined by strangers in the community.
Not so much violence* as dragging us back home and explaining what fucks we were being to parents, police etc.

One exception was while camping in UP, my brother and I were messing with a fisherman by lobbing stones near his boat with our wrist-rockets. He's see the splash, reel in and cast/move his boat near the ripples. Finally saw us, motored out of sight and snuck up behind us. When my dad found us the guy was holding me against a tree by the throat screaming bloody murder. Dad just laughed and asked if he had time to straighten out my brothers too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yep.

I agree with this, esp the dog part.

Growing up though ('70's Michigan) it was pretty common for us to get disciplined by strangers in the community.
Not so much violence* as dragging us back home and explaining what fucks we were being to parents, police etc.

One exception was while camping in UP, my brother and I were messing with a fisherman by lobbing stones near his boat with our wrist-rockets. He's see the splash, reel in and cast/move his boat near the ripples. Finally saw us, motored out of sight and snuck up behind us. When my dad found us the guy was holding me against a tree by the throat screaming bloody murder. Dad just laughed and asked if he had time to straighten out my brothers too.
One of our friends has a... spirited child, we shall say... and he came up to me once when he was around 5 with a stick and was making like it was a spear and he was going to stab me. I grabbed the end and pulled him in and leaned down and quietly told him if he hit me with that stick it would be the last thing he would ever do on this earth. I think he wanted to think I was kidding, but wasn't sure enough to follow through with the stick. :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
One of our friends has a... spirited child, we shall say... and he came up to me once when he was around 5 with a stick and was making like it was a spear and he was going to stab me. I grabbed the end and pulled him in and leaned down and quietly told him if he hit me with that stick it would be the last thing he would ever do on this earth. I think he wanted to think I was kidding, but wasn't sure enough to follow through with the stick. :D
That’s just solid verbal communication skills at work.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my dad just cracked a belt to keep us in line....never laid a hand on us.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My mom used to carry an apron full of wooden spoons, and she was like a ninja with those fucking things. 100 paces? Bitch please, she'd hit you right between the god damned eyes.

My dad never laid a finger on us, but he had a way with words, let say.

I was WAY more worried about getting into trouble with dad, than my mom growing up.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
depends on the kind of pool, but yes. i remember having to go around with scuba goggles and a magnifying glass.

especially now with the automated vacuums
A test tube filled with red food color. Cover with cling wrap and a rubber band. Tape the test tube to the skimmer pole if you don't want to get in the water. Poke 2 pinholes in the cling wrap. As you get near the leak the food color is drawn to the leak. Do not ever use a sharpie to mark the leak.

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
A test tube filled with red food color. Cover with cling wrap and a rubber band. Tape the test tube to the skimmer pole if you don't want to get in the water. Poke 2 pinholes in the cling wrap. As you get near the leak the food color is drawn to the leak. Do not ever use a sharpie to mark the leak.
The hot tub at my work has had a leak since before I started. We've tried food color to no avail. But not with the method you described. Will have to try that. But i also think it is leaking in 3 seperate spots. And it definitely needs to be resurfaced

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My hot tub is a salt setup.
We're actually designing an indoor pool for a client. Probably the richest client we've ever worked with. Guy makes and sells liquid eggs from tanker trucks to quarts........ Anyway we're working with a really good pool designer. They don't recommend Salt water pools or spas for anything. They said the salt water corrodes everything outside the pool. They actually use a UV system, with a cartridge filter, and a low dose chlorine injector system. The UV light sanitizes the water and the very low (lower than drinking water) chlorine level helps the keep it sanitized until it goes through the filter again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We're actually designing an indoor pool for a client. Probably the richest client we've ever worked with. Guy makes and sells liquid eggs from tanker trucks to quarts........ Anyway we're working with a really good pool designer. They don't recommend Salt water pools or spas for anything. They said the salt water corrodes everything outside the pool. They actually use a UV system, with a cartridge filter, and a low dose chlorine injector system. The UV light sanitizes the water and the very low (lower than drinking water) chlorine level helps the keep it sanitized until it goes through the filter again.
rich client... recommended something more expensive.. that's called an "upsell". surely you're familiar with this, no?

it sounds like the dudes you're working with are overstating the corrosion risk. while yes, there is a risk, it only increases slightly, and there's more factors at play than just "oh there's salt". are we talking a hot tub or swimming pool? indoor or out? covered or uncovered? heated or not? if so, to what temps?

target concentration for a hot tub is about 2500 ppm, about 0.25% concentration
swimming pool target is about 3500 ppm, about 0.35% concentration
for reference, ocean water is about 35 ppt, about 3.5% concentration.

so rich dude's oceanfront property or yacht is gonna be at way higher risk for corrosion than anything surrounding a swimming pool or hot tub that runs on a salt system.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
rich client... recommended something more expensive.. that's called an "upsell". surely you're familiar with this, no?

it sounds like the dudes you're working with are overstating the corrosion risk. while yes, there is a risk, it only increases slightly, and there's more factors at play than just "oh there's salt". are we talking a hot tub or swimming pool? indoor or out? covered or uncovered? heated or not? if so, to what temps?

target concentration for a hot tub is about 2500 ppm, about 0.25% concentration
swimming pool target is about 3500 ppm, about 0.35% concentration
for reference, ocean water is about 35 ppt, about 3.5% concentration.

so rich dude's oceanfront property or yacht is gonna be at way higher risk for corrosion than anything surrounding a swimming pool or hot tub that runs on a salt system.
If you ever spend the night in Portland ME the Hilton across from the ferry terminal has an indoor salt water pool.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you ever spend the night in Portland ME the Hilton across from the ferry terminal has an indoor salt water pool.
i have spent the night in portland, just not there.

i remember visiting some of the mansions in Newport RI and one thing that stuck out is how the bath tubs had a separate valve/faucet that would pump in ocean water.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My mom used to carry an apron full of wooden spoons, and she was like a ninja with those fucking things. 100 paces? Bitch please, she'd hit you right between the god damned eyes.

My dad never laid a finger on us, but he had a way with words, let say.

I was WAY more worried about getting into trouble with dad, than my mom growing up.

I find it best to keep a trained enforcement child around to keep the others in line. It looks natural and tends to not attract negative attention.