Quantcast

dealing with paypal claims

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Its a long story and not bicycle related but everyone is very helpful here so i figured i would ask for advice. I sold a limited slip diff from one of my older bmw's on bimmerfourms and have had nothing but issues with the buyer.

I shipped him a mint differential, It was in beautiful shape and noise free. As soon as he installed the part he responded saying it didnt solve his noise problem. I immediately told him that if replacing it didnt solve the problem it is something else causing the noise. Then he wants a refund because he realizes his old diff is fine and he dosent need mine. So he opens a dispute through paypal and they side with him and allow a return.

So i am out $100 in shipping now. When i receive the diff i notice that he stripped and realized the mounting points. This a $250 fix in just parts alone. So i call paypal and opened an appeal due to receiving damaged goods. They tell me to take it to a professional for a quote and have them fax in documention of the damage. So after receiving a quote from a local drive train shop paypal reviews the case and decides they do not feel the damages are grounds for a appeal.

What can i do at this point? Any one had similar issues?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Paypal protects the buyers to a fault. I get that they do this because there are more problems with sellers than with buyers, but nonetheless, it blows when you're a seller getting screwed.

I would keep hammering at them. Not much else you can do. Squeaky wheel and all that - if you have a phone number for them, it's harder to ignore you on the phone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BTW, this is why I always state explicitly that I only accept returns if the item I sold was not as described. I do not accept returns for dissatisfaction on the part of the buyer.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
BTW, this is why I always state explicitly that I only accept returns if the item I sold was not as described. I do not accept returns for dissatisfaction on the part of the buyer.
Have you tried to enforce that in a dispute? I know paypal doesn't give a sh!t what you put on your ebay auction when the buyer does a charge back.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I actually missed in the OP that it was Paypal specifically that allowed the return. I thought birdman accepted the return, then found the damage.

I've never had Paypal do that to me - I've had two disputes opened, one as a buyer and one as a seller, but in the instance where I was the seller, the woman was a crazy bitch and Paypal eventually sided with me. Surprisingly, since I was a seller, but she was exceptionally crazy.

thegoodword

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Walla Walla, WA>Boise, ID
I had PayPal tell me that they represent the seller and not the buyer after I opened a dispute with them. Despite PayPal representatives telling me that I am protected if, "I do not receive the product as I see fit," they closed my dispute because the item I purchased was a custom bicycle. I never received the bicycle and Weight Weenies, INC. is not so good with communication even 7 months after paying them. Luckily I had accepted a PayPal invoice and my credit card company is looking into a charge back from PayPal. Do not trust PayPal. If you can pay with a credit card, do so. PayPal does not care about you.

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Kinda of an old thread but it brought up what happened to me as a seller. I sold a guy a rear shock and he realized it was the wrong size and wanted a return. He opened a dispute. I showed Paypal the emails (that said no returns) and pictures (the retail box with size) to show what he ordered. They closed it. His fault.

A month later he opened another saying I sent him a damaged shock. Same deal, I showed Paypal the emails, pictures and they saw the previous dispute. Obviously he put it on his bike anyway and screwed it up.

In my case it's the buyer's fault for ordering the wrong part and then he damaged it. Just keep emails, pictures, etc.

*Oh, the difference here might be that he claimed I shipped him the wrong shock to get around the no returns.

Last edited: