Quantcast

Dear Bike Industry RE: colorways

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
F off.

Its a COLOR, or COLOUR if you're Canadian. I don't look at a car and say "Oh this is a nice colorways" or look at some chick I'm lying to and say "I love the colorways of your eyes."

Please. Stop the sillyness.

/rant.

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
Couldnt agree more. Where the hell did the term come from to begin with, I've never seen or heard it used anywhere else. Colorsonotway would mean raw unless raw is also one of the colorways right?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Here's another one that needs to go: use of the word "bushes" in place of the word "bushings".

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
While we're at it, all the kids could use some help too, not just the industry.

"Nice sled bro! Bet it rips you local track, eh?"

Thank you for the compliment about my BICYCLE, and yes it does well at my local TRAIL.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I agree it's a bit overused/inappropriately used, but the term does refer to more than "color" alone.

colorway n. a color scheme in which a pattern or style (of fabric, apparel, furnishings, wallpaper, etc.) is available

"Colorways" has been in common use in industrial and decorative design since long before mountain bikes (and almost everyone riding them) were around. The bike industry in general tends to operate with an attitude of snobbish ignorance to almost all common business practice and principle outside of biking. Ironically, the most successful individuals within the bike industry tend to have more traditional industrial backgrounds (e.g. DW, if I'm not mistaken). So, while the term may be new to our snobbish bike rider ears, it's probably a good thing to learn from the success of say... the entire garment industry for over half a century.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I am also angered by the afformentioned.

my addition: forks

I know why, and it still pisses me off. I say forks for my moto, but fork for my bike. Shouldnt be so hard to differentiate. If you have a Dorado/Avy/WB etc... you can call 'em forks.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I am also angered by the afformentioned.

my addition: forks

I know why, and it still pisses me off. I say forks for my moto, but fork for my bike. Shouldnt be so hard to differentiate. If you have a Dorado/Avy/WB etc... you can call 'em forks.
Possible dumb question ahead but why forks if they are upside down? Don't get that one.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Possible dumb question ahead but why forks if they are upside down? Don't get that one.
there are actually two seperate parts. USD forks don't have lowers, and each side is only connected at the triples. In contrast to the arch present on all lowers.

I suppose one could also differentiate between having a spring in one leg and damper in the other, vs moto forks where each fork contains a spring and damper. I'm not sure if the USD MTB forks do this.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I agree it's a bit overused/inappropriately used, but the term does refer to more than "color" alone.

colorway n. a color scheme in which a pattern or style (of fabric, apparel, furnishings, wallpaper, etc.) is available

"Colorways" has been in common use in industrial and decorative design since long before mountain bikes (and almost everyone riding them) were around. The bike industry in general tends to operate with an attitude of snobbish ignorance to almost all common business practice and principle outside of biking. Ironically, the most successful individuals within the bike industry tend to have more traditional industrial backgrounds (e.g. DW, if I'm not mistaken). So, while the term may be new to our snobbish bike rider ears, it's probably a good thing to learn from the success of say... the entire garment industry for over half a century.
I was about to say the same thing... it has been around for years. As a graphic designer and artist myself, I've been hearing for years elsewhere.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Haha, well the funniest part of that link to me is that it's so closely affiliated with the example I had given (DW), although I have no idea if he had anything to do with the colored bashrings.

I think it's important to remember that "colorways" is a term that describes color and pattern combinations available within a line of goods for sale, and that solid colors are often an option within a line. So, yes solid colored bashrings can be part of a colorway as long as more than one color or pattern is offered.

The thing that bugs me is that these terms feel trendy and false. Hearing a bike product line's "colorway" described is like hearing a girl you know as "Amy" introduce herself to someone else as "Moonbeam". But overall, I think it's probably a sign that people within the industry may actually be starting to care about being seen as professionals by other industries.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Forks, Tyres, Colour, bushing are all actually correct English terminology! The US language is wrong! see for yourselves..

http://oxforddictionaries.com/

Sorry but I can't take this seriously from a nation that can't spell anything the way it was intended to be spelt.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Forks, Tyres, Colour, bushing are all actually correct English terminology! The US language is wrong! see for yourselves..

http://oxforddictionaries.com/

Sorry but I can't take this seriously from a nation that can't spell anything the way it was intended to be spelt.
According to your dictionary it's fork: http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1248508#m_en_us1248508

Fork:

Forks:

and we say bushings, you guys say bushes(watch enough TG to know this), some more picture association..

Bushes:

Bushing:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I work in the apparel industry and we use the term 'colorway' constantly, it is a more technical word used to describe a customer choice when purchasing, honestly it is legit for the applications that the bike industry is using it for.

Now 'Bushes' and 'Forks' - i dont get but other areas of world seem to call them forks, but in 'merica' we dont...who knows...

is a trunk a boot? my tyres aint sticky.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
also, spelt is a kind of wheat. epic grammar nazi fail.
Ha Ha.. might have known someone would try to pick holes in my (UK) English grammar. Sorry to tell you but "spelt" is correct English (past tense for "spell") too.
Being Scottish, I am a collonized immigrant myself!

Captainspaulding - your link is to the US oxford dictionary.

I'll cut n paste the UK definition (just incase immigration won't let you in ;)):

fork (fork)

noun
1 an implement with two or more prongs used for lifting food to the mouth or holding it when cuttinga farm or garden tool with three or four prongs, used for digging or lifting[as modifier] denoting a light meal or buffet that may be eaten solely with a fork, while standing:
a fork supper

2 the point where something, especially a road or (North American ) river, divides into two parts:
turn right at the next fork
either of two forked parts

3 (usually forks) each of a pair of supports in which a bicycle or motorcycle wheel revolves

4 a flash of forked lightning

5 Chessa simultaneous attack on two or more pieces by one

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ha Ha.. might have known someone would try to pick holes in my (UK) English grammar. Sorry to tell you but "spelt" is correct English (past tense for "spell") too.
go eat some smelt with your spelt

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh alright then but only so you're not lonely eating humble pie :P

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

Captainspaulding - your link is to the US oxford dictionary.

I'll cut n paste the UK definition (just incase immigration won't let you in ;)):

fork (fork)

noun
1 an implement with two or more prongs used for lifting food to the mouth or holding it when cuttinga farm or garden tool with three or four prongs, used for digging or lifting[as modifier] denoting a light meal or buffet that may be eaten solely with a fork, while standing:
a fork supper

2 the point where something, especially a road or (North American ) river, divides into two parts:
turn right at the next fork
either of two forked parts

3 (usually forks) each of a pair of supports in which a bicycle or motorcycle wheel revolves

4 a flash of forked lightning

5 Chessa simultaneous attack on two or more pieces by one

do you eat with a forks?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
throw fitment in there; its a noun as in A FITMENT.

Stop using it to describe the processs of fitting or to fit something.

Colorways can go.

And in the nbr scene, if I here someone refer to 'Kitchen Electrics' one more time, someones getting kicked in the groin.