Quantcast

Dear Decline Mag,

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
My girlfriend got me a subscription to your mag as a XMAS gift. I got a gift card a couple of weeks ago and today I received this in the mail.

I dont understand....

Stickers and scissors. I cant make this sh*t up. Pretty decent ones too, Fiskars 12-7926 6984 Titanium Nitride No. 8 Shop Snip, though after reading the amazon user reviews, it makes me wonder is PSP works with you.

I saw this item on eBay, advertised as the best new discovery for goat hoof trimming. Not on my goats. The Teflon coating on the blades makes them slide off the hoof before they get started cutting. I've been trimming goat hooves for 18 years, so I don't think it's just me.
They are lightweight and easy to handle, so might be fine for garage use.
The micro snips I bought with them (Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip #9921), as a 'better together' item, shipped separately (costing me more) and arrived first. I've yet to use them.
BTW, the Shop Snips went for $41 on eBay.
**New info** I have to revise my opinion; once 'broken in' these work as well or a little better than the classic orange handled trimmers on baby goat feet, and 'winter trimming' (wet soggy feet), but I still go back to the 'foot rot shears' for the older girls. I tried to revise the stars to 4 but it's blocked out... Amazon can you help???
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-12-7926-6984-Titanium-Nitride/dp/B000SL44G2/ref=pd_cp_hi_0/183-5903752-9605028?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=1BZKFHCZG6T0HFDYBYK1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_i=B000WR2SEW

:clapping:

Is this why it costs so much to subscribe to your mag? The first $18 went to postage and scissors, ha!

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Great job on their part to put a piece of stiff cardboard in the package to protect the decals. :disgust1::disgust1::disgust1:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
And i got a decline mag and got nothing. Now i see they're giving aways shoes with their subscriptions and all i get is a post card that is half gone bc their wasnt enough ink to print it with

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
In one of their recent issues they mentioned that they are giving away the cutters because they felt that they were superior for cutting tires. the company found out and gave them a bunch of free ones to give away as a promotion. I just got my package with a shirt and stickers.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
tire cutting eh, never had to do a set so I was pretty confused. I guess im in luck, I just scored a comp 24 from a friend. Thanks Decline!

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
If you dont need the snips feel free to send them my way....
haha

On topic it is a kinda random present?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A real tool. What a stupid gift. Only people who know how to use tools can use it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
And i got a decline mag and got nothing. Now i see they're giving aways shoes with their subscriptions and all i get is a post card that is half gone bc their wasnt enough ink to print it with
Same here, At first I cared, because it's a pretty expensive subscription. Then each month it's a "if you sign up now you'll get" something, but I've never to date gotten anything from my decline subscription.

I like the pictures and all, but I don't know if I'll renew it when my 2 years is up. It's a quality mag, but some of the stories or articles are seem to be there to just fill space. (Pro's diet, girl junk, giving every pro rider their own page to write stories etc....)

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I like decline never got anything with my renewals though.

Some things are fluff, but nothing as bad as the sh!$ in MBA.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I just got a T-Shirt. Oh well, its a cool shirt.

However, you can give circumcisions with them.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
My wife got me a subscription to decline a few years ago and I never got $hit. She did get charged for the full amount for a year on her credit card. called and said we didn't get anyhting they said the fixed the glitch, still did not get anything, they fixed it again and still didn't get anything. Six months later she asked for her money back, after jumping through hoops like PSP on shrooms at a goat farm she got the cash back.

FUKK YOU DECLINE

I will stick to reading RC's paid for crackpot advice while i'm crop dusting the magazine aisle at the supermarket.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Honestly, I only like it for the pictures. Im also using it as a mechanism to get my lady friend in to riding. By coming to the monkey or the like bike forum, you probably know about anything in the freeride/dh market before anyone else or any mag for that matter. Hell we watch world cups via freecaster now and have a few magazine editors on this site that share all of their content as soon as they get it. Not to mention the word of mouf from the pros and people in industry that frequent this site. Though it is nice to have in the car on the way up to the mountain or on your coffee table ready to explain what freeride is to somebody new.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Decline is an expensive subcription? please.

Try DIRT. it's over $50 a year. I bit the bullet anyway, because the main difference between Dirt and Decline is that Dirt is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WORTH IT!

I could care less about all the 'cool-brah SoCal' BS that comprises 50% or more of Declines issues. Sure, there are some decent photos and barely above acceptable articles, but other than that, it's a waste of oversized glossy paper.

Dirt has nothing but super quality shots, pertinent bike and eqiupment tests, the most up-to-date information about the most important thing in DH, the World Cup series, and I have really begun to get into their travel series lately. The latest issue has an awesome story about riding in Germany which I'm going to use to plan my post-graduation vacation around.

DIRT FTW.
I will be renewing my subcription every year until I croak or the magazine goes under (knock on wood!).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Try DIRT. it's over $50 a year. I bit the bullet anyway, because the main difference between Dirt and Decline is that Dirt is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WORTH IT!

I could care less about all the 'cool-brah SoCal' BS that comprises 50% or more of Declines issues. Sure, there are some decent photos and barely above acceptable articles, but other than that, it's a waste of oversized glossy paper.

Dirt has nothing but super quality shots, pertinent bike and eqiupment tests, the most up-to-date information about the most important thing in DH, the World Cup series, and I have really begun to get into their travel series lately. The latest issue has an awesome story about riding in Germany which I'm going to use to plan my post-graduation vacation around.

DIRT FTW.
I will be renewing my subcription every year until I croak or the magazine goes under (knock on wood!).

Think Dirt is really that expensive?

Decline is $53 a year for 11 issues. Breaks down to $4.81 an issue.

Dirt is $58 for a year of monthly issues (12 total). Breaks down to $4.83 an issue, only $0.02 more per issue than Decline.

Dig BMX is $32 a year of bi-monthly issues (6 total). Breaks down to $5.33 an issue.

Granted this is an apples to oranges comparison, just trying to put things in perspective.

**edit: these prices are for new subscriptions as listed on each mag's respective website.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Haha, decline is around $18 here, and dirt is $10-12ish, and they are always a month or two late.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Think Dirt is really that expensive?

Decline is $53 a year for 11 issues. Breaks down to $4.81 an issue.
HOWTF is Decline getting away with charging $53 a year?! That is highway robbery.
It should be around $20-25 a year, at MOST, just like the majority of other magazines out there, regardless of topic.

Even more reason to boycott it. Geez I cannot get over that; $53 a year?! Who do they think they are? Seriously?

Also noticed a picture of Ryder Kasprick on the homepage. Apparently he likes to forego the use of a saddle and just ride on his rear tire.

Haha, decline is around $18 here, and dirt is $10-12ish, and they are always a month or two late.
Where the hell do you live? $10 for Dirt? They are $8 an issue at Barnes N Noble here.
My copies of Dirt show up wrapped in plastic the first week of every month, just like nudie mags! :thumb:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe because it's an oversize publication run on high-quality coated stock on a 5- or 6-color hi-fi web press, Perfect-bound with a wrap cover and then distributed to a relatively tiny niche-market base? :rolleyes:
Not to mention a large portion of their content is generated from remote locations, relatively speaking.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Paid for a couple years of declined and got tired of seeing re-ran advertisements and too much hucker BS!

What's with companies who offer free sh!t to new subscipts and nothing to the repeat customer?

That's what is wrong with this country! Guess they think they have the repeat customer on lock.
I beatem' at their own game! renew cable and internet yearly with whoever has the "hottest" deal for the next period and just keep switchin it up.
Pay off credit cards that have climbing interest with a New card that offers 0% interest to new card holders....
Who's got the hottest phone deal for the next year?? And so on!

Sh!t's backwards in this world! The guy who has every issue should get the cool prizes!
It's Like being in a bike shop and trying to get help with your shopping and or bike needs.
Only the guy keeps interupting your request to have you hold on while he
helps someone else on the phone threee times during the experience.

Last edited:

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
The problem with Decline is that the magazine is boring. I have never read one of their issues all the way through. Do they even have feature articles? Not one comes to mind. The only articles that come to mind are the Weir and Voreis columns, and not even those are enough to make up for the disposable garbage that makes up the rest of that magazines. They can keep their shears.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I have a subscription to decline and have found it an okay magazine. There are way to many articles which talk about getting drunk and hanging out. Not near enough about trends, bikes and equipment. There recent price increase, in a recession no less, does make me wonder if I will renew next year.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
What's with companies who offer free sh!t to new subscipts and nothing to the repeat customer?
Is this the first time you ever subscribed to a periodical? Magazine circulation/marketing people do that kind of thing all the time. Yeah, they do it to attract new subscribers. They offer lower introductory rartes to first-timers too. But you know, usually all you have to do is call when you renew and get the introductory rate or talk 'em into sending you the cool schwag or whatever. The circ. people will usually do just about anything to keep their numbers up; all you have to do is ask.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

DIRT FTW.
Couldn't of said it better myself, I haven't seen an issue of decline in months that has made me want to cough up 7.99$ for, just as someone else said, the content is incredibly lackluster, I would love to support an american publication but Dirt has it on lock down, I buy Dirt every month because guess what there is relevant and well written content that is entertaining to read and educational as well, not to mention the pictures kick ass. Decline needs to pull their tongues out of all the so-cal bro gnars cornholes if they want to have something that resembles a magazine again. They are way to focused on -just puttin it out- every month instead of getting features that are worth a damn. Rant over, but seriously Dirt is always worth every penny.:plthumbsdown: decline.
Oh yeah and another thing, Dirt is so rad that I am seriously stoked to just get some stickers that say dirt, Decline on the other hand has to give away super sweet schwag just to get people to subscribe.
New title for thread "Dear Decline mag, please stop sucking"

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The lack of real insight here is astounding.

On one hand, you have a bunch of guys accusing dirt of lacklustre content, and concentrating on thier "So-cal" bros.

The on the other hand you have guys raving about Dirt and thier "unbiased" coverage of events.
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in the way that Dirt hypes the **** out of UK riders compared to Decline hyping US riders. DECLINE IS A US DH MAGAZINE. What the F do you expect them to report on? Its like complaining that a Ford mag has **** coverage of BMWs.

The real fact is, the US DH scene hasn't been anywhere near its glory days for a while, yet Decline takes pride in the US scene (albeit mostly west coast stuff rather then as a whole) and promotes it and shows it off in a way they are trying to keep exciting, and you CHUMPS that do nothing but bitch on message boards sit here and take shots at it. What exactly have you done that you are in a position to rip on them? Whats the last magazine you've produced?

The fact is, I am sure that if you were proactive and just emailed Decline and inquired about content that wasn't so US-centric, they'd appreciate the feedback, and you'd get what you want. Then if you supported the mag that tries to bring you the sport that you love, they'd actually have enough in the budget to fly people to different areas. Print is suffering, or at least shrinking hugely compared to what it used to be, so I seriously doubt that the boys at DECLINE are taking all those billions of dollars that come from subscriptions, and embezzling it into the lucrative housing market.

As for complaining that the mag is full of rider articles, seriously? This annoys you? I could sit and read stories from Vories for days, because he lives a life I am confident saying NONE OF YOU DO. Same with Lopes. Even Weir (whom I didn't like reading at first, but instead of bitching on the web I TURNED THE ****ING PAGE. Imagine that.)

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The lack of real insight here is astounding.

On one hand, you have a bunch of guys accusing dirt of lacklustre content, and concentrating on thier "So-cal" bros.

The on the other hand you have guys raving about Dirt and thier "unbiased" coverage of events.
THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in the way that Dirt hypes the **** out of UK riders compared to Decline hyping US riders. DECLINE IS A US DH MAGAZINE. What the F do you expect them to report on? Its like complaining that a Ford mag has **** coverage of BMWs.

The real fact is, the US DH scene hasn't been anywhere near its glory days for a while, yet Decline takes pride in the US scene (albeit mostly west coast stuff rather then as a whole) and promotes it and shows it off in a way they are trying to keep exciting, and you CHUMPS that do nothing but bitch on message boards sit here and take shots at it. What exactly have you done that you are in a position to rip on them? Whats the last magazine you've produced?

The fact is, I am sure that if you were proactive and just emailed Decline and inquired about content that wasn't so US-centric, they'd appreciate the feedback, and you'd get what you want. Then if you supported the mag that tries to bring you the sport that you love, they'd actually have enough in the budget to fly people to different areas. Print is suffering, or at least shrinking hugely compared to what it used to be, so I seriously doubt that the boys at DECLINE are taking all those billions of dollars that come from subscriptions, and embezzling it into the lucrative housing market.

As for complaining that the mag is full of rider articles, seriously? This annoys you? I could sit and read stories from Vories for days, because he lives a life I am confident saying NONE OF YOU DO. Same with Lopes. Even Weir (whom I didn't like reading at first, but instead of bitching on the web I TURNED THE ****ING PAGE. Imagine that.)
I clearly stated that I have NO problems with them focusing on US riders, however I do have a problem with the lack of actual content in the magazine. I would much rather spend the same amount of cash on a magazine that has some content and actual articles than the same amount on something that seems quickly thrown together and produced for the sake of producing it. I would be more inclined to buy it if they switched to a bimonthly format (which they will never do) the way dirt used to be in order to make a magazine that is worth while every two months. Decline is sometimes awesome, but lately it has been lacking, especially when you compare it to dirt (its main competition btw) its not like we are comparing Mountain Bike Action to dirt and complaining that dirt doesn't have enough articles on carbon hardtails. Please.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. We, as consumers paying for a product, have to have had done something comparable to the product we're purchasing in order to be entitled to express dissatisfaction? :rofl: So we're not supposed to complain about Kenda tires for example, since none of us have made tires ourselves? I find it entertaining that in every other market the product is based around the consumer, because if the magazine sucks then it goes belly up; but in the mountain bike world your not entitled to slam a ****ty piece of paper because the internet will get you.