Quantcast

Dear Monkey Mechanics, I have a car related problem.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have an Australian built mid ninety's Ford and and is a complete piece of ****.

My problem seems to be related to high ambient temps and my fuel pump starving of fuel after the fuel system heats up.

On cold days the car runs fine but on days approaching 100deg F the car will will run fine for a while then start to splutter and cut out. If you try to re start the car the fuel pump takes longer than normal to build up line pressure then if you crank the car you hear the fuel pump spin flat out as if the pump is unable to draw in any fuel. It also seems to happen a lot quicker in stop start traffic.

I have removed the pump checked all fittings, pump strainer, pump voltage under load but I have only just bought the fittings to check fuel pressure so I'll do that tomorrow, I will also change the fuel filter after I get my base pressure reading.

I know the engine is running at the correct temperature as I have tested the temp sender resistance cold and at operating temp and it is within spec as are all of the other sensors on the engine,(haven't tested the MAP sensor but it is unrelated to this problem) I have also changed the thermostat and radiator.

All I can think of that could cause my problem is a dud pump, faulty regulator that bypasses somehow when it gets hot or no restrictor in the return line to the tank causing the fuel to boil after returning from the hot engine bay as the return is right next to the pickup.

Cheers for any assistance, also I hate this car very very much so I am trying to diagnose stuff before throwing money at it as it brakes my heart to waste money fixing an Australian built car.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Try it now?
I have, it's a cool day so it runs fine.

It's a multi point fuel injected car with the symptoms of an old carby car, oh and I have removed the fuel cap when it happens and there is no vacuum so the breather seems fine.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
mid ninety's Ford and and is a complete piece of ****.
Redundant.

My thoughts as well. Aren't you guys in Australia breaking record highs? You sure you've got the fuel filter? My now long gone early 90's ford had similar issues and it as it turned out the filter was full of FSM only knows what. IIRC that car had both a strainer and a filter, it's possible yours might be similar.

norton55

Chimp
Jan 14, 2013
macaroni mountains
I have, it's a cool day so it runs fine.

It's a multi point fuel injected car with the symptoms of an old carby car, oh and I have removed the fuel cap when it happens and there is no vacuum so the breather seems fine.
That was going to be my next question. I have a friend who is a Ford factory mechanic, I'll run it by him and I'll post with his thoughts. Might take a day though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Classic fuel pump..... Fords are known for this around the world..... The fuel pumps are built with pretty damn close tolerances, they get gummy a bit and when they get warm they stop working.. cool down all is good Etc etc....

Put a pump in it, put a filter in it life will be good

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i´d try with a new pump and filter. should not have any more problems.

an 15-20 years old fuel pump will likely have its mechinical parts worn out, and this will cause the troubles you mention, even if there is no variation in voltage/current under load.

the only time i have ever encounter something like this, that wasnt a faulty pump/wiring or vapor lock... was in a land cruiser about 4 years ago (out of the 110+ cars with checked out daily at the shop).
car would starve, hesitate and sometimes stall, after 2-3 hours of running, specially above 10000ft high.

we initially thought "vapor lock", although this problem wass not seen in other similar vehicles, using the same fuel. we replaced the pump and filter (even though the car had less than 50k miles), as we noticed the fuel was a bit dirty, and we thought the dirt in the gasoline had prematurely worn the pump internals.

car came back a few days later with the same problem. we hooked a scanner to the car, and drove it to the mountains for a good 8 hours to see what was going on, since there was no signs of electronic problems.

it turned out to be an issue with this particular fuel line, which had a tendency to suddenly buldge under pressure/heat, enough to cause an uneven fuel pressure, which was felt as hesitation and eventually stalling. extraordinarily rare occurance. problem was fixed, once we replaced the fuel line.