Quantcast

Dear SRAM

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
:help:

I'm writing this letter to make a tiny little wish that would change the world for atleast some future GT bike owners.

As you are well aware of, GT will in a couple of weeks release it's GT IT-1 with Nexus hub and Revo shifter.

The bike is awesome, and I've had the pleasure of riding the prototype for 2-3 weeks here in Norway - ending in a small review here on RM, aswell as a wishlist to the local distributor with some suggestions on a couple changes.

And there is only one thing I didn't like about the bike (except for the Kenda tires). I never really got a good feeling with the Revo during high speeds. The good things about the bike far exceeds this tiny little issue, but the bike would be totally flawless for me with this upgrade!

:nopity:

Shimano generally has a 1:2 ratio on their shifters, while SRAM has 1:1. Nexus is running a 1:1.8 ratio, and even though I don't know the value of 1 on the nexus, it forces you to use the Revo - and have no other option.

Please please please consider making a tiny little upgrade set for your SRAM XO Trigger shifter that just includes a wheel that matches the Revo 1:1.8 pull....I'll assemble it myself.

(and I'll bet you'll sell atleast.......50.....(!)...of them)

;)

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
Trigger (who's been using your products for years) :love:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
blt2ride said:
Yeah, but it's a special order item and it was only $3 less than the set...

Then someone be trying to rip you cause it's just about 1/2 off for one everywhere I've seen them.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Zutroy said:
Then someone be trying to rip you cause it's just about 1/2 off for one everywhere I've seen them.
Yup. I generally side with shops (as a former employee) but get pissed off when they try to claim s+h charges. Maybe if they are tiny, but any decently sized shop that uses QBP has no excuse.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Repack said:
Yup. I generally side with shops (as a former employee) but get pissed off when they try to claim s+h charges. Maybe if they are tiny, but any decently sized shop that uses QBP has no excuse.
I hear ya. It isn't like they are having one single item shipped to them from the distributor either. The shop I used to work for used to have several hundred items shipped in weekly.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
blt2ride said:
Yeah, but it's a special order item and it was only $3 less than the set...
just buy my X9....just kidding....i bent the paddle with my knee, and can't wait to try the beta version that you can run inside the brake lever....I've always been annoyed with this too....makes you wonder how many left shifters go to waste.....

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Can you also ad, that they should make their stuff more durable? Develop play less quickly and not snap below the frame bolt! I love SRAM but i wish it would last

Cheers!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Freefall said:
my sram suff has lasted way longer than my shimano stuff
Ditto. And I bought my X.9 RH shifter as a single unit for nearly half the cost of the pair. SRAM stuff rocks.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Trigger said:
Isn't SRAM a bit to custom for you, compared to shimano standards?

They use a wrong ratio you know...what if you wanted to change one of the parts?

;)

Actually, using SRAM stuff would mean that I DON'T need a new hub to run their (Avid) brakes and that their derailleurs shift forwards instead of backarsewards like all the Shimanos do now, and that they don't have that retarded integrated shifter/brake lever guaranteeing that you're stuck with their stuff.

Instead, all it means is that I have to replace a derailleur every second ride, and the shifters fall apart on me whilst literally JRA (yes really, no they didn't warranty it). But that's ok, they're rebuildable... except that the Aussie importers don't *actually* carry the parts.

:)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
My letter to SRAM: Make a Shimano compatible derailure, because I can't stand taking my thumb off the bars to shift. I know SRAM makes the Shimano der. compatible shifter, now make a derailure that works with my XTR shifter. An X9 with a 1:2 ratio would be sweeeet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
While we are at it, SRAM should make another interally geared hub, but this time with shimano's 1.8:1 actuation. No reason really, just seems to fit with this thread.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
reply from SRAM:

Dear Trygve,

I'm afraid that we are not going to fulfil your wish, but why not a
complete drive train set up from SRAM?

Best Regards
Wim de Koeijer
For some reason...I don't really think they actually read my mail, since they can't replace the entire nexus setup....or could I now from a legal point make a claim to them that they should replace the entire setup on the it-1? SRAM is the one suggesting it... ;)