Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Congrats on the win. I'm glad you won. Now, could you please tell all your mouth brea... I mean fans, to kindly stop their blathering? I'd like a few months of quiet until you "highly talented athletes" start again next spring.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how many more Yankees threads do we need?

im suprised you know what baseball is Jon...or did you hear about it on the news?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
^^^^ See? Another NJ native bitter that the closest thing you have to a pro sports team is the Devils... I'm telling you, we'll set up some exhibition games, and once the game is over you can have a parade around the parking lot and pretend that you're an actual state instead of just a suburb of NYC or Philly. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dear yankees, you have now paid for another world series win. Please come talk to me when you actually earn it.
So are the Yankess just supposed to sit around and not spend the truckloads of money they pull in each year? They are serious about winning, have fans that are willing to put their money where their big fat stinking loud mouths are. Steinbrenner could easily sit back with a 50 million dollar payroll and pocket the rest of the money. You have to give credit to they Yankee fans for bankrolling purchased championships.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^^^^ See? Another NJ native bitter that the closest thing you have to a pro sports team is the Devils... I'm telling you, we'll set up some exhibition games, and once the game is over you can have a parade around the parking lot and pretend that you're an actual state instead of just a suburb of NYC or Philly. :)
Only pro us team I'm a fan of is the Steelers.

College football ain't too shabby either.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Baseball needs a salary cap. I know that would actually hurt the Red Sox since they are also big spenders, but until there is a salary cap, it'll always be very difficult for those small market teams to compete. Sure a team like Tampa Bay or Florida can have an exceptionally good year and break through to the World Series, but they won't have sustained success and will lose their best players when those affordable contracts are up. Until the system is fixed, the Yankees are playing within the rules. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

One thing you've got to love about the NFL is that any team can win the Super Bowl. It's all about how the team is run.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Baseball needs a salary cap. I know that would actually hurt the Red Sox since they are also big spenders, but until there is a salary cap, it'll always be very difficult for those small market teams to compete. Sure a team like Tampa Bay or Florida can have an exceptionally good year and break through to the World Series, but they won't have sustained success and will lose their best players when those affordable contracts are up. Until the system is fixed, the Yankees are playing within the rules. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

One thing you've got to love about the NFL is that any team can win the Super Bowl. It's all about how the team is run.
Do you think the raiders, Lions or Browns are going to win anytime soon? Every team is financially capable but retarded ownership and management will never allow them to contend. There are other ways an NFL team can spend their way into success. When the Bengals were drafting nothing but criminals they had only hired a few crappy scouts to look at talent. I'll bet that the Patriots have a whole bunch of the best scouts working for them, the best doctors and trainers too. All those guys aren't under the cap.

The fact that occasionally small market teams win the World series shows that good dedicated management still makes just as much difference as player payroll.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do you think the raiders, Lions or Browns are going to win anytime soon? Every team is financially capable but retarded ownership and management will never allow them to contend. There are other ways an NFL team can spend their way into success. When the Bengals were drafting nothing but criminals they had only hired a few crappy scouts to look at talent. I'll bet that the Patriots have a whole bunch of the best scouts working for them, the best doctors and trainers too. All those guys aren't under the cap.

The fact that occasionally small market teams win the World series shows that good dedicated management still makes just as much difference as player payroll.
That's sort of my point...those NFL teams you mentioned won't win anytime soon because of how poorly they are run. On the flip side of that, you've got a team like Indy that is considered small market, but they draft intelligently and compete at a high level every year. One could make an argument that the Yankees have been poorly run the last 10 years and have just thrown more money onto the fire to fix their mistakes. They've got a long list of expensive free agent busts since their run in the late 90's. Only in the last few years have they gotten smart and started investing more into their farm and scouting. If they had the financial limitations that an NFL team has, they'd have been finishing far out in the standings the last 10 years.

The small market baseball team can have a good year and make it to the playoffs, but the players that get them there eventually leave for the bigger markets. So, those small market teams can never have a sustained run in the current system. Oakland had a great young pitching staff back earlier this decade but had to trade them all because they couldn't afford to pay them. Even now, the Twins are going to have to deal with the possibility that Joe Mauer will leave after 2010 because the Yankees, Sox, Cubs, Mets or Angels are going to throw an obscene amount of money at him (see example A: Johan Santana) It sucks that a team like the Twins has to struggle to keep their young talented players.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's sort of my point...those NFL teams you mentioned won't win anytime soon because of how poorly they are run. On the flip side of that, you've got a team like Indy that is considered small market, but they draft intelligently and compete at a high level every year. One could make an argument that the Yankees have been poorly run the last 10 years and have just thrown more money onto the fire to fix their mistakes. They've got a long list of expensive free agent busts since their run in the late 90's. Only in the last few years have they gotten smart and started investing more into their farm and scouting.

The small market baseball team can have a good year and make it to the playoffs, but the players that get them there eventually leave for the bigger markets. So, those small market teams can never have a sustained run in the current system. Oakland had a great young pitching staff back earlier this decade but had to trade them all because they couldn't afford to pay them. Even now, the Twins are going to have to deal with the possibility that Joe Mauer will leave after 2010 because the Yankees, Sox, Cubs, Mets or Angels are going to throw an obscene amount of money at him. It sucks that a team like the Twins has to struggle to keep their young talented players.
It would help some of the smaller teams if the contracts were also more like the NFL. A small team could take a chance on a big contract if they could cut a player who was a bust.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It would help some of the smaller teams if the contracts were also more like the NFL. A small team could take a chance on a big contract if they could cut a player who was a bust.
Werd. Pay for performance...what a concept. The NFL is starting to get into that dangerous territory though with these increasing "guaranteed money" contracts and signing bonuses.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Werd. Pay for performance...what a concept. The NFL is starting to get into that dangerous territory though with these increasing "guaranteed money" contracts and signing bonuses.
Isn't there a very strong chance that the salary cap is going away with the next collective bargaining agreement? I bet the Cowboys will still lose.