Quantcast

Debating Going To Oaxaca For An Enduro Race...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It’s for Day Of the Dead (Nov. 1st)
my 55th is Halloween, wifey said I could have a hall pass.
anyone want to go?

Not remotely planning on being competitive, it just sounds fun.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've been looking at doing that one for a couple of years now. Richie Rude and his mechanic did it a couple years ago and his mechanic lives here so was chatting to him about it, as well as the lady who organises the Trans BC/NZ/Tasmania events. They both agree the trails are absolutely world class and the entry is really reasonable, but I've also heard its a gnarly region safety/crime wise.

I know feck all about Mexico though but the event organisers even specify certain routes to take to get there etc. As it stands, Australian borders aren't likely to be opened this year without extended quarantine so I'll have to do it next year or after.

If you do go - report back! The trails look fucking amazing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been wanting to do that for years too.

I went to Oaxaca a handful of times with my momz to little bro, like 30 years ago... I love that area, and really want go back. I also want to take my kids there. Just this week I was showing my little guy pictures of Monte Alban. His was reaction was "cooooool! can we go?!"

I've heard all about the security situation in Mexico and must admit it makes me nervous. But I've also spoken to people who have lived there recently, and say all that stuff is blown out of proportion, and with a little caution is mostly a non-issue. It's hard to know what to think...

It would be great to go down solo to scope out the trails, and make some local contacts. And then maybe go back with buddies for bike trips, and with the family for family trips...

Food for thought.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I've been to TSN and I've done many trips to Oaxaca to ride, so ask away!

Also if any of you want to do a private tour instead of the race, a friend of mine started a tour company and they can get you sorted (transport, guiding, food and accomodation) for a ridiculously good price.

Two ways to get to Oaxaca: fly to Mexico City and then it's a 5-6 hour drive or fly to Oaxaca with a layover in Mexico City. Another option is to do a very long layover in Mexico City (2-4 days) and ride here, there's tons of trails.

The trails in Oaxaca are insanely good and some of them are super long and technical... theres a handful of trails with more than 1100m of vertical descent! Food is also insanely good :drool:, definitely worth it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been to TSN and I've done many trips to Oaxaca to ride, so ask away!

Also if any of you want to do a private tour instead of the race, a friend of mine started a tour company and they can get you sorted (transport, guiding, food and accomodation) for a ridiculously good price.

Two ways to get to Oaxaca: fly to Mexico City and then it's a 5-6 hour drive or fly to Oaxaca with a layover in Mexico City. Another option is to do a very long layover in Mexico City (2-4 days) and ride here, there's tons of trails.

The trails in Oaxaca are insanely good and some of them are super long and technical... theres a handful of trails with more than 1100m of vertical descent! Food is also insanely good :drool:, definitely worth it.
What's the name of your buddy's company? Does he have a website or other such presence? I'd like to pitch the idea of a group trip to my buddies, but would need some sort of documentation to entice them...

We usually do an annual bike trip. Usually it's the Southwestern US or Western Canada, but out last trip was to Ecuador and was a resounding success. My friends now have the travel bug...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
*might* postpone until Spring Break next year. Just gotta find stuff for kiddo to do, he’s really not into bikes right now.
he could possibly be interested in cooking classes in Spanish. And surfing. Both in the water and online.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
What's the name of your buddy's company? Does he have a website or other such presence? I'd like to pitch the idea of a group trip to my buddies, but would need some sort of documentation to entice them...

We usually do an annual bike trip. Usually it's the Southwestern US or Western Canada, but out last trip was to Ecuador and was a resounding success. My friends now have the travel bug...
Sendero Bicycle Co.

I'll send you by DM my friend's email, I'm sure he can prepare some documentation for your buddies.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sendero Bicycle Co.

I'll send you by DM my friend's email, I'm sure he can prepare some documentation for your buddies.
Awesome, thank you! I've shared his instagram site with my buddies. If I'm not mistaken, there's no off-season down there right? November through April would be totally do-able?

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Yeah there's no off-season but the best trail conditions and weather are November through January.

February and March tend to be very dry months.