Quantcast

DebonAir Upgrade Kit for 2015 Pike?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone updated an older Pike from the SoloAir to the Debonair air spring?
Thoughts?

For $33 I'm very tempted.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’ve posted a few times, but debonair to debonair2 upgrade on my Lyrik was easy and recommended.

Also, the mid stroke support on these new RS is night and day better compared to the old ones. Not sure when that change happened.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It's better than the original but not as good as a Luftkappe. The Debonair bearing assy has much lower friction which is nice tho

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
A larger negative spring should require slightly higher pressure and since the volume of the positive chamber is unchanged in the Debonair set up, higher pressure should yield more ramp up which can require less tokens.
Now, it's up to you to find if theory and practice concur!

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
A larger negative spring should require slightly higher pressure and since the volume of the positive chamber is unchanged in the Debonair set up, higher pressure should yield more ramp up which can require less tokens.
Now, it's up to you to find if theory and practice concur!
All true. I went about 20 psi higher and pulled all 3 tokens going to the new DB spring on Lyrik. Can run a lot of pressure without being too bad on small bump with the huge neg spring.

Rides higher and bottom force is about the same.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is it possible to do both? (Luftkappe + debonair bearing assy)
I'm wondering if this works actually. The negative air spacer has moved from the bearing to the piston, and the luftkappe doesn't have anything to compensate for it. I presume Steve is working on something though.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I'm wondering if this works actually. The negative air spacer has moved from the bearing to the piston, and the luftkappe doesn't have anything to compensate for it. I presume Steve is working on something though.

Since Steve recommends to remove the top out bumper, I don't think the spacer has a relevance anymore once you've installed the Luftkappe.

I have seen somebody removing the piston on a Debonair air shaft and then threading the shaft in order to be able to install a Luftkappe. Doing this you further increase the volume of the negative chamber.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing tho, the larger the negative chamber, the more pressure you need for a given sag which also yields more ramp up so that it might get difficult to use full travel if you're not a super fit and aggressive rider.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Since Steve recommends to remove the top out bumper, I don't think the spacer has a relevance anymore once you've installed the Luftkappe.
Yeah I'm just not 100% sure is all. If anything, I wonder if you could leave the bumper in to compensate for the lack of the spacer.

Steve is probably making a Luftkappe specifically for the Debonair shafts I imagine.