Quantcast

Decent Street bike?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this thing looks fine too me.

it's got front and rear brakes, a gyro and some other good stuff.
if you've never rode a bike w/ a gyro and 990's and you currently have V brakes or disks, get ready for some really crappy feeling brakes.

990's and a gyro take some time to adjust to get to work well and are the standard for bmx.

that's more of a heads up than anything. any bmx you buy for street / park use will have 990's.

that bike is a good starter bike and depending on how hard you ride and how often can last a very long time.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by NRSracer
are the brakes kinda like the ones on road bikes? i can see how those would be crappy.
no, those are sidepulls.

center pulls are the standard for bmx/freestyle bikes. some bmx race bikes come w/ V brakes.

center pulls or 990's (name brand from Dia-Compe) work fine

990's are usually set up w/ a gyro and gyros have a TON of drag in the cables if not lubed well. (most people don't work on their bikes but wonder why it doesn't perform well)
lube, lube, lube those cables.

or just run a strait cable and save yourself the headache.

the problem really lies in the fact that people don't know how to or don't want to learn how to work on their bike.

if you spend 30 minutes when you get your bike lubing EVERYTHING that has to do w/ the brakes they work great.
that includes the posts that they sit on.
don't count on the bike shop doing this.....

hope that made sense....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've noticed that you don't need brakes nearly as much in a skatepark though when compared to MTB riding. The only time I grab my brakes is to scrub off a little speed, rarely do i need to quickly stop, unless some skater jumps in my line :angry: