Quantcast

deciding on upper body gear

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
so i used to have a 661 pro pressure suit that always felt somewhat bulky, especially in the elbow/forearm protection it felt binding. i am ordering some new armor and can decide between the new core saver or assault pressure suit. the assault is basically the cheaper comp suit without rlbow gaurds, but has more shoulder protection than the core saver. my question is basically if you have used the asault suit, is it big and bulky, especailly in the shoulders? any feedback if appreciated!

trev

for reference

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I heard thru the grapevine that the Rockgardn one was a little on the bulky side (but that's strictly hearsay). I have the same decision to make but this time I'm gonna fork out a little more $$$ and get the new POC Armor.

Edit: Snaked on the POC recommendation!

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
I just switched to POC the past few weeks after being in the same boat of wanting to upgrade from a lower end 661 suit.

The feel of the POC is far more comfortable than the 661 and you really can barely notice it. The spine protector is easily removed, but when it is in there very comfortable and confidence inspiring the way it feels on your back.

The only negative I would give it is that when you are driving a vehicle (i.e. it is your turn to drive the shuttle) it can ride up and you need to pull it down a litte. But this is a non-issue for riding your bike.

++1 for POC.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Love the POC stuff. I had slight reservations about the elbow pads being a little bulkier than I'd hoped for, but they're incredibly comfortable when riding. The whole chest/spine thing is brilliant, highly recommended.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Forcefield Body Armour UK has got some good stuff... Light, vents well, flexible and has gotten good reviews in Euro moto mags.
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/ba_extreme_harness_adventure.asp

I've been running the Pro L2 Back Protector for slightly more than a year now and I have to say it's the most comfortable piece of armour I have ever tried. Once it's on, I forget it's even there.
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/back_protector_sport.asp

Reviews -
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/reviews.asp

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
One more the for the POC... I've been running it for a few weeks now and had few slight tumbles and I must say.... I feel fvcking invincible! hahahahaha Actually it really is pretty awesome... I just land on my elbows when I crash and don't really feel anything.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i think im going for the core saver suit at least until i save up and buy the poc elbow guards. i was concerned about seperate elbow protection as ive heard a lot of pads tend to slip pretty easily, but i forgot about the poc gear, their stuff looks 100% promising especially from what ive heard

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I just switched to POC the past few weeks after being in the same boat of wanting to upgrade from a lower end 661 suit.

The feel of the POC is far more comfortable than the 661 and you really can barely notice it. The spine protector is easily removed, but when it is in there very comfortable and confidence inspiring the way it feels on your back.

The only negative I would give it is that when you are driving a vehicle (i.e. it is your turn to drive the shuttle) it can ride up and you need to pull it down a litte. But this is a non-issue for riding your bike.

++1 for POC.
Ok, so what POC gear do you wear?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
i think im going for the core saver suit at least until i save up and buy the poc elbow guards. i was concerned about seperate elbow protection as ive heard a lot of pads tend to slip pretty easily, but i forgot about the poc gear, their stuff looks 100% promising especially from what ive heard
Yeah, I can't really see the elbow pads slipping easily. The way the sliding pivot system works, they're pretty happy to remain where they're supposed to be. Same with the knee/shin guards.