Quantcast

decision on bikes- stinky or enduro?

matts73240

Chimp
Apr 11, 2003
la canada, ca
i've been looking to get a bike lately, and i have narrowed my decision between 2 bikes, the specialized enduro, and the kona stinky.
Whatever i get, It will probably be the base model ( a college student can only afford so much) 1500-1700 is aboutt my ideal spending range.

lately i have been doing a lot of climbing, and some basic trail riding. (style may change to more technical trail riding later)

the LBS owner told me if i go with the enduro, he would let me get a vanilla rc or rl coil shock at cost, install it for free, and let me keep the oem air shock if i decide that a coil shock is not my thing. (he said that the enduro with a coil shock is more like a happy medium between a xc and a freeride bike)

i think the enduro will climb better than the stinky, but the stinky wil take hits better.

any sugesstions, comments, or insight would be greatly appreciated.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
The enduro will definitely climb better than the stinky since it'll probably end up weighing quite a bit less. I have a 2001 Stinky built for freeride and dh...junior t up front, dangerboy plates in the rear (6.2-7")...definitely not the climbing machine. I only weight 160 (6'0"), but it's plain to see that stinkys are overbuilt and will never break. So, if you're pushing the scales, I'd go for the stinky, otherwise, go for the enduro. Sounds like it fits your riding type a lil' better too. Has adjustable rear travel for trail and light freeride (4"-5") which is definitely up your alley.

Frenchy

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
North Georgia
I am on my second Stinky and love them. I am also lucky enough to have a Bear (a.k.a. Dawg) for trail riding. I've ridden my friend's '03 Enduro for comparison. just get a Dawg it rides awesome takes just about anything a stinky will and weights less and climbs better. It also has a straight seat tube so you can extend your seat up for XC and drop it all the way to the basement for freeriding. You definitely CAN NOT do this on an Enduro. I would also recomend a psylo with all travel this definitely helps get more out of your bike.

Hope this helps. If your dealer can get you a Stinky he can get you a Dawg.

Absinto

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
Bristol, UK
Stinkys are all good. Get one and never look back. I can keep up with the XC guys going up - and leave them for dust on the way back down.
Mint.
:)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think the Enduro will be a far better bike for techy trailriding than a Stinky, in both geometry and weight.

The only reason I think you have to consider a Stinky is if you feel you might get into bigger jumps and drops, or begin DHing or something.

This is coming from a guy who rides a freeride bike everywhere, btw. It's just that it suits the majority of my riding better...but I'm under no illusions that it's optimal for climbing or trailriding. I suffer through it...but I think the Enduro is a better bike for what you describe.

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Frenchy
You definitely CAN NOT do this on an Enduro.
Actually, a lot of people can. Depends on your leg length and frame size. It's totally an individual thing.

MD

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I was in the same boat Stinky vs. an Enduro. I took a hard look @ my riding style and determined I was an agressive trail rider not a freerider. Not to say a stinky coudn't hit the trails but the horst link 4 bar and weight pushed me towards an Enduro. A better comparison of bikes would be the Enduro vs. the Kona Bear. I'd say the bear would be a little stronger but the Enduro has a better rear suspension.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I would go with the Enduro. I am a huge fan of the FSR design. Someone suggested a Psylo up front. I would avoid that fork like the plague. Too many plastic parts. Have seen them brake in other ways, too. I'd call fox about the rear shock. The Itch is not a standard eye to eye. The shop may be cool and knowledgable, but I'd want to hear it direct from Fox before I threw down that knid of coin. I think Romic might make one. The suspension design is also built around the leverage ratio of an air shock. Fox air shocks seem to hold up well. I replaced the Vanilla R on my older enduro w/ a float and love how it rides. I put a complete 2000 disc brake rear end on a 1997 main frame and now have what I have decided is the coolest trail bike ever. Weigh 200+ and haven't blown it yet. I do keep a back up though. As for seat height, I bought the cheapest post I could find and chopped it down for DJing. Got a Woodman stem, too. If you get the post, the shop may even throw in a cheap take-off saddle.