Quantcast

decisions, decisions...need help folks!

help!!!

• Sell the Dawg, ride Azonic and build up the new frame...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the Dawg and keep saving your pennies...

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
OK.....so I've got the itch for a new bike. Bad. I know exactly what I want, but can hardly afford it with out selling my current ride. The problem lies in that even with selling my Kona, I'd only be able to afford the frame I want and it would likely be at least six months + before I could have enough $$ on hand to build up the new frame. I do have my Steelhead SS which I could throw some gears on if need be to ride until the new bike was ready. The other "issue" is that I plan on racing some 24's this summer/fall and would have to do them on the hardtail Azonic if I sell tghe Kona.

So, do I sell the Kona now, get the new frame and ride the Steelhead all summer? Or, ride the Kona into the ground and continue to save for another year or more until I can afford the new ride complete ($2300ish)?

:help:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ride the Kona into the ground. You're going to die with a new frame sitting around that you can't build up.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Heidi said:
Ride the Kona into the ground. You're going to die with a new frame sitting around that you can't build up.
AGREED

what are you riding at the open?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
McGRP01 said:
Or, ride the Kona into the ground and continue to save for another year or more until I can afford the new ride complete ($2300ish)?
That's what I'd do.

I never saw the point in buying a frame and very slowly putting components on it. First off, the money you were saving could have been earning interest while you waited. Second, that new frame that you love so much will be cheaper to buy next year when you have the money to do it all at once and someone puts the frames on year-old closeout.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
McGRP01 said:
OK.....so I've got the itch for a new bike. Bad. I know exactly what I want, but can hardly afford it with out selling my current ride. The problem lies in that even with selling my Kona, I'd only be able to afford the frame I want and it would likely be at least six months + before I could have enough $$ on hand to build up the new frame. I do have my Steelhead SS which I could throw some gears on if need be to ride until the new bike was ready. The other "issue" is that I plan on racing some 24's this summer/fall and would have to do them on the hardtail Azonic if I sell tghe Kona.

So, do I sell the Kona now, get the new frame and ride the Steelhead all summer? Or, ride the Kona into the ground and continue to save for another year or more until I can afford the new ride complete ($2300ish)?

:help:
I'd say it depends on if you will be satisfied riding the SS all summer. Personally I'd just wait and save the money and ride what I had. A bird in the hand and all that.........

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I guess I could just strip the Dawg down (which is now built up FRish and weighs in around 36lbs.) and build it back up lighter so it's more managable to race....

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
it is going to hurt either way! If you sell the Dawg, and make do, and have a brand new frame sitting there it will hurt. I also know the pain of wanting/needing a new bike and not having the ability to get it!

Good luck in what ever you choose. as I always say I have 3/4 of a jar of peanut butter, and I am sure that If I just use up all the groceries in the fridge and in the pantry, we can live for like 3-4 weeks! Thats a whole months worth of grocery money! prolly like $400 if I could just get everyone on the PB&J diet for like a year, I'd be golden! I could have any bike I wanted!:thumb: then again, CYS would be pounding down the door :rolleyes:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
splat said:
Tigg you need a Craftworks! and I know just the one for you !!!
Ha! I've ridden that bike, and while it is nice, I'm actaully looking for something lighter, more "raceable". Something that is made in AZ., is adj. 4"-5" and is dead sexy! :drool:

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
McGRP01 said:
Not going to the open now... Don't ask. :mumble:

I'll be riding my Giant DH again this season though.
want us to pick you up on our way down?
we don't have room in our hotel room but i know others that do.

we're leaving friday 3-4am... coming home monday afternoon

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Lighten up the Dawg to make it more trail friendly and then ride the Azonic for the more FRish type of days you go out, while saving up for that tasty Titus down the road a bit.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
DHS said:
want us to pick you up on our way down?
we don't have room in our hotel room but i know others that do.

we're leaving friday 3-4am... coming home monday afternoon
Thanks for the offer, wish I could take you up on it! I actaully have a ride down and a place to stay as most of my team will be there racing. Circumstances just won't allow this year. :(

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Hmmm...that's a toughie and I know your pain. I would keep the Kona and save up for a complete bike build. Sorry to hear you aren't going to the open. We were talking about going to watch (and maybe hit a couple of runs if we could).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
McGRP01 said:
I guess I could just strip the Dawg down (which is now built up FRish and weighs in around 36lbs.) and build it back up lighter so it's more managable to race....
36? That's nothing. Suck it up and race the pig as is. Rock what you have now and wait until the $$$ is there to build away.

It took me a month ot put together my Bullit a few years ago and that was the worst month ever. Since then, I just wait until I have a pile of parts or cash and just spend a few hours.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jimmydean said:
36? That's nothing. Suck it up and race the pig as is.
Yeah, I raced it at the Dalton 24-hour last year, might as well this year as well.

Thanks for the advice all. Seems the answer is clear! :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
how bout going the other way, buy some of the light parts you'd be getting for that new frame now, and put them on the dawg?

maybe a new set of lighter wheels/tires...and just use them for races

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
how bout going the other way, buy some of the light parts you'd be getting for that new frame now, and put them on the dawg?

maybe a new set of lighter wheels/tires...and just use them for races
Yeah, that's a good call Doug.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
McGRP01 said:
The other "issue" is that I plan on racing some 24's this summer/fall and would have to do them on the hardtail Azonic if I sell tghe Kona.
Whats the issue with riding a 24 on a hardtail?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
TreeSaw said:
Hmmm...that's a toughie and I know your pain. I would keep the Kona and save up for a complete bike build. Sorry to hear you aren't going to the open. We were talking about going to watch (and maybe hit a couple of runs if we could).
well that would rock!