Quantcast

decisions, decisions

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
My friend just offered me $1000 for my heckler. Its an older heckler.. I believe the second year they made it... mostly XTR on it, juicy 7's, 2003 z-1 fork.. solid wheelset. the thing is i am hesitant to get rid of it and I am not sure why... I guess $1000 is reasonable for it, but Its worth more to me.
I havent ridden it in a while though.. now that I have the 6.6 its been sitting although it has been winter so far. i dont knopw.. any thoughts... parting with it makes me kinda sad.. wierd

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
hooples3 said:
My friend just offered me $1000 for my heckler. Its an older heckler.. I believe the second year they made it... mostly XTR on it, juicy 7's, 2003 z-1 fork.. solid wheelset. the thing is i am hesitant to get rid of it and I am not sure why... I guess $1000 is reasonable for it, but Its worth more to me.
Sounds like a pretty easy decision. :p

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I know what you mean. I just sold my DH bike...I had thought about it last summer when I found out I was pregnant, but didn't really want to part with it so I didn't advertise it. I was giving advice to another mudhunnie about DH bikes and ended up selling it. I was SO sad to see it go, but I have replaced it :devil: So all is well. I definitely had a lot of good times on that bike and it really isn't going to be 100% replaced as it was my first DH bike ;)

I personally would weigh my options...how much riding will you do with the bike once you take the 6.6 out and will you have more fun riding with your friend if they have it? Good luck!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I would rather have a friend ride it then giving it to some random person. I am thinking of waiting for spring and seeing how much i ride it

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
I'd keep it as a spare for friends and out of town guests that want to ride but not bring theirs with them.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If it has that much personal value don't sell it. You will just end up regretting it. I regret selling my 2000 Trek 7000, my first real mountain bike. I would be overjoyed to give Gary something in Chicago his 350 dollars back for it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, dont sell it. Im already so attached to my bullit that I wont sell it, esp. since its from the last year bullits (at least of this variety) were made, it will be worth hanging on to.... Every dent will have a story for it. Im going to hang it on the wall some day.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
id say sell the bike. if your spending time on your 6.6 take the grand and buy a new heckler frame with change leftover and build that new bike up.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That's probably as much as you will ever get for it. Used bikes just don't bring much money unless you get lucky. But that's not necessarily a good reason to sell it. You don't strike me as being hard up for cash, so if you're not sure, hang on to it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
A friend of mine says, "Never sell gear that's paid for. NEVER!" Hard to argue with that... but $1000 buys a lot of gear - or a hell of riding vacation!

I've thought about selling stuff before (bikes, my truck, kayaks, etc.) but never did for various reasons. Except for my truck, it's all turned into garage clutter. Unless you are well enough off financially that the $1000 will have no impact on you, I say sell it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
One time i bought a Sourdough Jack Burger, it looked so good and smelled so nice, i decided to not eat it. After two years i still look fondly upon it but i feel it might be time to part with it. i think a grand is a fair price...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
by 'older' heckler do you mean the generation which came right after the Tazmon, and not the newer heckler like the bullit?

for $1000?

sell that thing.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
narlus said:
by 'older' heckler do you mean the generation which came right after the Tazmon, and not the newer heckler like the bullit?

for $1000?

sell that thing.
yeah.. I bought it the second year they came out 10 years ago

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
narlus said:
why are you even hesitating? that's the best price you will *ever* see for that bike.
i dont know.. sure the money is nice.. but i dont NEED it. there are a lot of miles on that bike.. lots of memories.. I almost feel like the bike should be retired!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well if you do feel that way, just remember that down the road it'll be worth a lot less...

and don't you want someone else to start collecting memories?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
hooples3 said:
thanks for all the advice.. still not sure what to do.. Im leaning towards holding on to it
Being a guy who has done all of his riding on either borrowed or rented bikes, I say keep it. It will be appreciated by all those bike leeches like me...

And if you don`'t need the money, why sell it?