Quantcast

Decisions, Decisions

Road Bike or new XC Trail & race bike???

• Total voters

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So, I have some $ and I need to decide if I should get a road bike (or cyclocross but that's a completely different debate) or sell my jekyll and put all my $ toward a Yeti 575. Thoughts....anyone?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
greenchris said:
which option would bring the most use?
That's what I am trying to figure out...I would use the road bike to train and ride when I can't get to the trails on my XC bike, BUT I have been drooling over the Yeti for 2 seasons now...also, I have never ridden a road bike so I am not sure if I will even like it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I love my 575. HOWEVER, it really depends on the riding you do on a regular basis.

I'm probably going to get an ASR or even a hardtail because some days the 575 is too much bike for what I'm riding on a daily basis.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
DRB said:
I love my 575. HOWEVER, it really depends on the riding you do on a regular basis.

I'm probably going to get an ASR or even a hardtail because some days the 575 is too much bike for what I'm riding on a daily basis.
I also have an AS-X for DHing & a hardtail SS (and currently I also have the jekyll for XC racing and a K2 Disco monkey for freeride purposes--yes, I have too many bikes).

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I voted to buy a road bike.

I never realized just how much I'd ride a road bike (and actually enjoy it) until I bought one.

If your MTB was a POS, I'd vote for the 575 though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
that is a SUPER tough question... what kinda road bike are you lookin at? is there one you are set on? I would maybe suggest a cyclocross bike like a Lemond Poprad, which has a more relaxed geometry to offer more of a MTN type feel rather than a road bike feel. plus the poprad is a great value... and its steel so you get a nice cushy ride...

you can find some great deals on road bikes if you aren't looking for anything special... and just want something to go out and ride, and arent looking to do crits and stuff with... I think you could probably afford to purchase something pretty inexpensive to do training with and then save for a 575...

PS... if the shop Manhattan and I work at becomes a Yeti dealer I'll be able to take care of you on price!!!:thumb:

let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I can get you any deal at the shop!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I voted for the roadie, even though the 575 would clearly be more fun. Why? Having a roadie would bring in a whole new type of riding for you. You will now be able to ride when the trails are too wet, on the freakishly warm day in the middle of december when the trails are iced over, etc. And there are 2 other side benefits to having a roadie... one, it's much better on the trainer, IMO... and two, the bigger gears on a roadie (especially if you go with a double and ride any kind of hills) will whip you into shape in half the time compared to a mtn bike.

The more I ride the more I realize that I'd rather have more types (XC, DJ, road, etc.) average bikes than fewer high-end bikes. More types = more ways to ride = more chances to ride. Of course I say that with a 575 and a roadie sitting not 3 feet from me.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Like someone already says...it depends. My 575 isn't my everyday bike. It's too much for some of the tamer after work trails I hit. I'd say buy it and get a cheaper entry level used road bike until you know you will ride it a lot. Some of the low line mainstream road bikes are really a very good value and will last you awhile.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Heidi said:
Like someone already says...it depends. My 575 isn't my everyday bike. It's too much for some of the tamer after work trails I hit. I'd say buy it and get a cheaper entry level used road bike until you know you will ride it a lot. Some of the low line mainstream road bikes are really a very good value and will last you awhile.
Exactly.

You can always find good deals on used road bikes but don't spend a lot.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
If you want to ride road, stick some slicks on your 575. :)
LOL! I was running my old hardtail with slicks as my road bike. Trouble is, I couldn't keep up with Sq-Earl then (he was also on an older HT with slicks) and now he has a road bike too :eek:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I Are Baboon said:
based on the early poll results here, obviously the choice is clear.

:D
It looks like a deadheat to me. You have to add the 2nd&3rd choices together.

Edit -- 575 takes the lead.

It's summertime. Buy the 575 and ride trails and save some money and buy a road bike in the fall. The road thing is overrated anyway.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
TreeSaw said:
LOL! I was running my old hardtail with slicks as my road bike. Trouble is, I couldn't keep up with Sq-Earl then (he was also on an older HT with slicks) and now he has a road bike too :eek:
If you want to keep up with Sq-Earl, ditch the roadie and the 575 and buy a motorcycle.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
just look at what the cool kids are doing, like me, Heather M., Sq-Earl...get the roadie!

I know you want to race XC, every single person that I know that does, and is fast has a roadie !!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Get the 575, put road slicks on the hardtail. Riding road is about the ride not about the bike. Get a compact road crank or cyclocross crank along with a road cassette if the MTB gearing doesn't work out. If you like riding road save up and get a road bike later.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Westy said:
Get the 575, put road slicks on the hardtail. Riding road is about the ride not about the bike.
Interesting you say that... perhaps it's just the wording and how I interpret it/think of things... and how I ride, but I feel just the opposite. Trail riding is about the ride... bomb around, have fun, ride everything you can (I'm obviously not a racer)... it's an adventure, a rush, and a challenge. Road riding is just the opposite... it's about the connection between you, the bike, and the road... it's spiritual and musical. MTBing is brute-ish, road riding is elegant.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
Road riding is just the opposite... it's about the connection between you, the bike, and the road... it's spiritual and musical. MTBing is brute-ish, road riding is elegant.
looks like someone is saving up for a fully campy/boutique italian frameset ride. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
looks like someone is saving up for a fully campy/boutique italian frameset ride. :)
na - I love the way my steel Jamis rides. If I were to upgrade, I'd go entry level carbon from Felt. My Yeti was a one-time deal... I love it, but have no need for real high end bikes.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
narlus said:
The beauty of road bikes is that you can spend a bunch of money on one that is a perfect fit for you, and then never buy another one again. In theory of course.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I basically agree with everything Jackson said.

If you already have a pretty good mtb/xc and are curious about skinny tires, get a road bike. Having different styles of bikes helps prevent burnout and your fitness can really benefit from a road bike. Just give in to the fact that you are a bike junkie and let it happen, there are far more expensive and harmful vices.

I would rather have 5 decent bikes across a broad spectrum than one or two that are the pimp flavor of the month...that's why I do. :)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
TreeSaw, if my crystal ball is working properly, it is saying that at some point in the near future you will be towing a child in a trailer behind your bike. Therefore, you should consider this activity before you buy anything. After trying it with all of my mountain bikes, then an old hardtail with slicks, I finally settled on a cyclocross bike with a triple crank. That's what I suggest you buy. It is a good bike for everything other than mountain biking, and you already have plenty of mountain bikes. Then again, if you get a cheap one, you can get the Yeti too...I got mine for $900 no tax no shipping.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If you spend $1500 on a road bike it will weigh 2#s less than if you spent $6500, with road the fit is what counts most. If you buy a 575 it will be a great bike, I love mine. If you don't buy a 575 I'll post a new thread every day about how cool mine is.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TreeSaw said:
You still won't be able to keep up with him on a road bike, then. So I say go for the 575 and put the road bike money into the wee one's college fund. :D

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
At one time Instigator had a women's road bike in his basement he was looking to unload. I don't know what size it was or if he still has it, but you might want to talk to him. You have been lusting after the 575 for a while now, but what ever motivates you to ride more is what you should get.
I have no desire to ride anymore, but I still enjoy looking at bikes. If you buy something just because it looks nice, but it doesn't make you want to ride more then it's a waste. i think I would enjoy a road bike, but I can't justify getting one because the drivers around here suck and I end up riding in the dirt on the shoulder anyway. See you this weekend! (Hopefully)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
T, that Jeckyl is dope. If it were larger I'd buy it. As far as travel goes, it's perfect for what we ride 99% of the time. I vote keep the J and get a roadie. Or, more importantly, get a FR/DH bike for Jiminy/Diablo/etc.. Didn't you say something about an ASX?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
T... you know how I was being all responsible the other day when telling you to get a blah blah blah.......

FVCK THAT GET THE 575

WHOOOOOT WHOOOOOT

its the F'N BOMB n@

it just came in... I have been building it since 11:00 WOW takin my time and helping customers as I go!!!

Just get it!!!! man is it purty!!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I picked up a very nice steel road bike off ebay for $125 from a local guy. I got new bars, new cables, did a quick tune-up and it's been great. Unless you plan to get way serious on the road bike, they are expensive.