Quantcast

Decisions, decisions.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Sooooo here's the deal. I have a 2008 Kona Stinky that is pretty much stock except for the fork (2007 888 ATA), seat, and drivetrain (I'm running single speed). I'm wondering if I should upgrade the piss out of it by replacing parts when they break, or upgrade the frame. Neither of these things would happen soon, but I'm pretty sure I have a job lined up that could pull in some pretty good money. What I'm pretty much asking is, Is it worth it to put top-of-the-line parts on an average frame. I wouldn't be asking this, but I haven't ridden any other bikes for the most part. I'm assuming I should just upgrade parts and ride the frame until it becomes inadequate or outdated, and I'm only 14, so I think the frame is fine, and a nicer frame won't make me a better rider.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I've had this debate in the past. I think you need to ask yourself what riding you want to do on it. If the Stinky or a similar type of frame is ideal for what you ride, then you might be better off keeping it and upgrading the parts, which can make a difference but it's still more or less the same bike. If you go down this route, look at changing major things if you want to see a difference; lighter, stronger wheels for example will be more benificial that a new seatpost or X0 rear mech.

On the other hand, if you feel that the Stinky is holding you back or you want to start racing DH for example, it's not that the Stinky couldn't cope but a dedicated DH frame would have better angles and general set up. In that case, you could think about upgrading your frame.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I haven't ridden enough pure "DH" bikes to know. The bikes I've tested at all are the Bottlerocket, IronHorse Yakuza, DirtBag, Blindside, and Specialized BigHit.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I would ride what you have and then once the bike is starting to get a bit beat sell the whole bike and pick up a newer used bike. That is typically the best way to spend minimal money and ride reasonably nice stuff. Typically I keep a bike for two years and then buy a new to me current model year used bike. No reason to upgrade things unless you break them. When replacing parts the highest end things usually are a pretty bad value while mid level parts are a far better value and usually work just as well.

Also while you are still young I would say it is better to work less and have more time to ride etc than work more and have a nicer bike. You will have plenty of time to work lots(even if you don't want to) once you are older.