Quantcast

decisions, decisions...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm so confused. I'm about to order a Cannondale Gemini DH frame, and I don't know what to do about fork choices. It's either a Sherman Slider Plus or a Sherman Breakout Plus, but I can't decide. It'll be used more as a freeride bike than a pure DH bike, and the bike has a 1.5" headtube, so it might be a good idea to get the Breakout Plus. However, if it's gonna be a real DH/big hit bike, I kinda feel like it should have a triple clamp fork. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Breakout Plus: pros:
-1 lb lighter than Slider Plus
-full turning radius
-takes advantage of 1.5 headtube

cons:
-not a real triple clamp
-not totally sure about a 7" single crown (seems a little sketchy)

Slider Plus: pros:
-full triple clamp security and strength

cons:
-limited turning radius (more so than with other DH forks)
-1 lb heavier than Breakout Plus
-makes headset situation a little more complicated (need reducer cups for 1.5 headtube)

So what do you guys think?

Turley

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Queensland, Australia
I reckon a breakout. I own a slider+ and even on a giant the turning radius is a bit tight. With a 1.5 headtube if the frame hasnt' been designed well it might be too tight. Also, has anyone actually done any design/experiments to actually show that the breakout isn't as stiff as they slider+? If ya got 1.5 ya might aswell use it I say!

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Tripple clamp all the way!! At least your finally getting a frame, we're going to have to ride real soon then, at least once I get my helmet back.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Li'l Dave said:
Tripple clamp all the way!! At least your finally getting a frame, we're going to have to ride real soon then, at least once I get my helmet back.
Dammit Dave, now why'd you have to go and do a dumbass thing like lose your helmet? :p

Yeah dude, I'm home in Nor*Cal right now, but I'm gonna try to get back to SB a few times this summer before school starts again in the fall. I'll keep ya posted.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
the breakout plus I rode felt as stiff as a boxxer. If I was a lighter rider, that would be my race fork of choice

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have a Breakout plus. Let me tell you a little about it...
Depending on what you're riding, it can be great or really bad. For freeriding it's awesome. It's very stiff and takes huge hits not to mention SPV keeps you rigid when pedalling. Highly recommended for this application. For DH, don't even go there. Due to o-rings instead of bushings, the poor fork has zero light bump sensitivity. Also, the rebound is not very adjustable and does not get fast enough for most DH applications. However, these problems will all be seen in the Slider + too as it is the same fork with an extra crown. Anyway, if you're just worried about durability and stiffness, don't worry. The breakout + has it.

Turley

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Queensland, Australia
Arem7, Your fork obviously has problems and needs to be sent in for warrenty. Sounds like it is the same problem I had with my sherman before I sent mine in for warrenty. Not saying that sherman is the best fork for DH as I agree it isnt' the "best" but your sherman certainly does sound like it is suffering some problems.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A Cannondale?! Yuck dude!

The Slider+ might be an issue with the turning radius.
Breakout might be sweet.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
The Gemini is a pretty sick bike, especially for the price. Plus, everyone knows that Single pivot bikes ROCK!! Might have a problem with the Turning radius at slow speeds, but that just means he's gonna have to ride faster. I thought you were going to stay here this summer Ben, now I guess I'll just have to show you how to ride when you get back :p.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
i know someone who blew-up there breakout on there Cannondale so he sold it and got a boxxer. and it feels perfect and is still super light.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Li'l Dave said:
Plus, everyone knows that Single pivot bikes ROCK!!
I think you mean single pivots get rocked.... down Tunnel... regularly :p

Dave, you down to do a drop on Saturday? Cold Springs, Tunnel, Knapps, whateva.

I think that Bellistic helmet will fit you, it fits freakin tiny on me!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
I think you mean single pivots get rocked.... down Tunnel... regularly :p
Dammit Noah, I'll rock your single pivot! Wait, nevermind...

So as of now it's looking like the Breakout Plus. Any more input?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
For me, having a DH bike with a single crown fork just doesn't look right. I'm not sure if if would make me ride any different, but there is something to be said for the comfort issue. By the way, you tell him, rock his single pivot there Ben.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dexterq20 said:
So as of now it's looking like the Breakout Plus. Any more input?
Why not a Demo? You work at a Spec. dealer, might as well ride what you sell :sneaky: Worried about weight?

At any rate it's sweet you'll be gettin a worthy ride for shuttling.
Does the Gemini DH frameset come with a floater?

I think that breakout+ sounds frickin cool, but I've never even seen one, much less ridden one.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
Why not a Demo? You work at a Spec. dealer, might as well ride what you sell :sneaky: Worried about weight?

At any rate it's sweet you'll be gettin a worthy ride for shuttling.
Does the Gemini DH frameset come with a floater?
No Demo for me. Right now I'm home for the summer and working at a Cannondale dealer, so that's why I'm going with the Gemini. Also, the Demo is ridiculously expensive, even with EP pricing.

And yes, the Gemini DH frame has a floater. Cuz we got no love for brake jack. :D

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Wow, ok, so I've gotten input from only 4 or 5 people. C'mon, give some more advice, help a fellow monkey out!