Quantcast

Decore brakes with avid rotors???

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
i picked up a new shimano deore brake set (w/o rotors) off ebay for a steal of $85. I am going to run them with 6'' Avid rotors. Are there any disadvantages to this setup? And if it is a bad idea does anyone have any sugesstions on compatable 6-bolt discs.

Also I would just like to ask why shimano would use center lock discs if their hubs are 6-bolt. If i used center lock discs I would have to buy $30/wheel adapters to mount SHIMANO rotors to my SHIMANO hubs. Also it seems to me like adapters would compromise the strength of the system.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Did the set include adapters?
The only thing that you need to be concerned about with using the Shimano brakes with avid rotors is the adapters and pads.
Alot of times Shimano uses 160mm adapters and rotors. Avid are 165 and require a 165mm adapter. Occasionally shimano also uses a resin pad that requires a shimano rotor that's specidied at resin pad use only.
If you have organic or sintered pads you'll be fine.

I've got a couple customers running LX and XT brakes with avid rotors and they work great.

Center lock rotor mounts are available on Deore through XTR hubs. Shimano also offer IS 6 bolt mounts on many of it's hubs as well.

-Kevin

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Did the set include adapters?
The only thing that you need to be concerned about with using the Shimano brakes with avid rotors is the adapters and pads.
Alot of times Shimano uses 160mm adapters and rotors. Avid are 165 and require a 165mm adapter. Occasionally shimano also uses a resin pad that requires a shimano rotor that's specidied at resin pad use only.
If you have organic or sintered pads you'll be fine.

I've got a couple customers running LX and XT brakes with avid rotors and they work great.

Center lock rotor mounts are available on Deore through XTR hubs. Shimano also offer IS 6 bolt mounts on many of it's hubs as well.

-Kevin
no the set was f&r Shimano Deore M535 calipers and deore levers with shimano hoses factory bled

and my avid rotors have 160mm written on them but idk if that includes the "wave" part on the outside

and it seems to me that specialized tools, like the cassette tool for the rotors, are just a way for bike shops to make money

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Avids are 160's the shimanos should be a 165, I would nab up a hayes rotor, or any other nthats a 165. The cassette tool your talking about, is for the center lock system, its actually a nice system, if you have hubs for it, go for centerlock.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I am running LX brakes with Avid roundagon rotors, 160mm everything seems to be working fine. They stop me when I pull the levers so that's grand!

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Avids are 160's the shimanos should be a 165, I would nab up a hayes rotor, or any other nthats a 165. The cassette tool your talking about, is for the center lock system, its actually a nice system, if you have hubs for it, go for centerlock.
yea i'm looking at hayes v-cut rotors and i know i want to run a 6'' in the rear but i'm looking at running an 8" in the front but i dont want to drop $50 for a shimano 203mm adapter. hayes makes one for $15 bucks but idk if that would work

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I missed your first question about the center lock rotors, answer is that newer shimano hubs, are center lock hubs. Older hubs, are 6 bolt standard. Thats the general, I know there are some newer shimano out there from time to time that are still offered in a six bolt, but your on the right track to get the hayes vcuts, they will work perfectly with the shimano brakes. You will however, need the shimano mounts for the calipers.

My bad about misreading your question in the first place, I had a few before I read it last night. Easy answer is that if you have bolt on hubs, use a bolt on rotor, if you have centerlock hubs, use centerlock.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I missed your first question about the center lock rotors, answer is that newer shimano hubs, are center lock hubs. Older hubs, are 6 bolt standard. Thats the general, I know there are some newer shimano out there from time to time that are still offered in a six bolt, but your on the right track to get the hayes vcuts, they will work perfectly with the shimano brakes. You will however, need the shimano mounts for the calipers.

My bad about misreading your question in the first place, I had a few before I read it last night. Easy answer is that if you have bolt on hubs, use a bolt on rotor, if you have centerlock hubs, use centerlock.
yea i thought your comments about the centerlock stuff were a little strange, great info though!

so tell me if this will work...
my mounts are: manitou 74mm post mount front, and IS 54mm in the rear
the calipers are shimano deore m535 and they are 74mm post mount and come with a rear 54mm IS adapter (i know i can run them this way with 6" shimano rotors)
I want to run a 160mm hayes v-cut rotor in the rear and a 203mm hayes v-cut rotor up front.
so I will need some kind of adapter for the front
will this one work? http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC318156
and is there any cheaper adapters available (i really think $50 for an adapter is outrageous)
in theory this setup should work but ive learned that compatibility is not in the vocabulary of brake manufactures
and please give me suggestions on 203mm adapters for 74mm post mounts because 50 bucks for a little piece of aluminum is outrageous

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah thats the correct adapter, Hayes makes a cheaper version, about 25 bucks, I will try to find it.

You can use any brand adapter for a 203 rotor that is for the post mount style BTW, its a 74MM caliper, so hayes, avid, any of them that are made for a 73mm post mount 203 will work. The shimano brand has always been more

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
awesome!! any ideas why shimano is more than double the price?