Quantcast

Deductions for bike shop employees

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Can I deduct from next year's taxes any bike-related tools I buy?

I suppose bikes are out of the questions...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Actually, I think you can deduct them as unreimbursed business expenses. The logic is that you buy the bike(s) for research and sales knowledge. I know at least one shop employee that did that. I'm not sure if its legal but he didn't get audited (yet).

Are you going beyond the standard deduction though?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It depends how you set up your taxes. If you are simply an employee, you will need to do what DRB says. I wouldn't try it with bikes though...

You won't be able to write them off unless you set yourself up as a contractor or sole proprietorship - of which you are neither (I gather).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You can Write of anything and everything you use for work. Trouble is that when you write stuff off, you ar enow itemizing, and it is not always worth it to do so. Like with me, i would need about 14-16k worth of write off's to make it worthwhile to itemize like that, otherwords the given from the state/gov will give you more of a break. There are some Tool specific programs out there for those whos line of work requires that they supply there own tools, which allows for a Full reimbursment throught the year. Toll Solutions is one of those companies, but this is Only for those required to supply there own tools

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
There are some other weird restrictions that you need to look into before doing this. I used to deduct all of my tools bike related or not when I worked for the shop, because my job description was sales/mechanic it worked out. Now I deduct all my camera gear, hell I buy gear for other people just so I can take the deductions. I make them give me cash for it tho.