Quantcast

Dee Dub for President!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I loved the "money in the bike industry" question, as he sits in his own personal machine shop with a brand new looking STI motor on the ground for his apparent VW beetle swap. Nope, no money there.

Also interesting that his "one bike" would be a 145mm travel 650b carbon fiber single pivot with a split pivot rear end. No DW linked ripley? or 650b burner?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Apparently there is no money in the bike industry because it all goes to him.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
It's unfortunate that people on here have run him off. People had personal access to one of the more intelligent guys in the industry... though not nearly as intelligent as the armchair industry insiders that have exposed him for the evil doer that he is.

DARPA funding, that will kick start almost any career. Should we go over exception Vs. rule?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Apparently there is no money in the bike industry because it all goes to him.
wrong. he can't afford sleeves on his shirt. he can't afford to finish his walls, just particle board. he can't afford all of the stars and stripes for his flag. his car is nothing but an empty shell. the list goes on and on if you care to pay attention :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's unfortunate that people on here have run him off. People had personal access to one of the more intelligent guys in the industry... though not nearly as intelligent as the armchair industry insiders that have exposed him for the evil doer that he is.

DARPA funding, that will kick start almost any career. Should we go over exception Vs. rule?
One thing that DW has always been phenomenal at was marketing, and there's something to be said about playing your cards close to your heart...He's always had TONS of irons in the fire. His later posts were edging on reclusive and he wasn't apt to share a lot of things ("Bikes that you know of..."). Hell, usually when I was looking to glean information from him, his posts contained a lot of "Which I've already explained", "in another post", "has already been asked". So, if you weren't around in 04/06, you'd better be an artist with the search function.

Then there was the whole bradflyn thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One thing that DW has always been phenomenal at was marketing, and there's something to be said about playing your cards close to your heart...He's always had TONS of irons in the fire. His later posts were edging on reclusive and he wasn't apt to share a lot of things ("Bikes that you know of..."). Hell, usually when I was looking to glean information from him, his posts contained a lot of "Which I've already explained", "in another post", "has already been asked". So, if you weren't around in 04/06, you'd better be an artist with the search function.

Then there was the whole bradflyn thing.
can't say i blame him.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
surely you can't blame the bradflyn thing on DW?!

and the man has no marketing budget (have you seen the DW-link website?!?!). Maybe he was fond of explaining on these here forums why his designs are better than others out there, but that's not really marketing. Marketing would be the money the bike companies pay (in magazines and on websites) to promote the fact they have a DW developed suspension system. but that's not him.

One question for you guys: which bike is it he said would be his "if you could have only one"? I missed out on it in the interview... and can't be bothered to watch it again just to find that one little bit of info.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I loved the "money in the bike industry" question, as he sits in his own personal machine shop with a brand new looking STI motor on the ground for his apparent VW beetle swap. Nope, no money there.
I knew he was going to get a lot of flack on RM and elsewhere so I'll defend Dave here as I was the one that shot this video. Immediately after he gave that answer, he said that it's not really what he meant, and that pretty much everyone will take it the wrong way. What he really meant by that answer was that there arent a TON of people making a TON of money in the bike industry. Yes, there are people that do well, but they are few and far between. And yes, Dave has done well for himself...but c'mon are you really going to dog him for working his f#*king ass off for so many years and making a living out of it? :rolleyes:

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
surely you can't blame the bradflyn thing on DW?!

and the man has no marketing budget (have you seen the DW-link website?!?!). Maybe he was fond of explaining on these here forums why his designs are better than others out there, but that's not really marketing. Marketing would be the money the bike companies pay (in magazines and on websites) to promote the fact they have a DW developed suspension system. but that's not him.

One question for you guys: which bike is it he said would be his "if you could have only one"? I missed out on it in the interview... and can't be bothered to watch it again just to find that one little bit of info.
I believe it was the BH Lynx 5, which is a split pivot bike. I have seen the BH Lynx 6, an I must say it is one damn fine looking bicycle.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Agreed. Marketing in the traditional sense (paid advertising in print and online) is something that Evil, Iron Horse, DW, and most of his other partners have never supported strongly. The way I see it, what generated buzz for DW were the phenomenal results achieved on the products he designed.

I think his "one bike" answer was the 650B BH Lynx 6. Interesting choice, but it looks to be a pretty cool bike with nice angles. I'm sure there are other contenders in his portfolio that haven't been officially announced to the public yet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
are you really going to dog him for working his f#*king ass off for so many years and making a living out of it? :rolleyes:
no, he's probably the best known suspension engineer in cycling, and generally for good reason! He honestly deserves his reputation and the associated ca$h flow....but I had to rolleyes dot jaypeg when he talks about lack of money in the industry and sits on his toy car/CNC/private commode.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
wrong. he can't afford sleeves on his shirt. he can't afford to finish his walls, just particle board. he can't afford all of the stars and stripes for his flag. his car is nothing but an empty shell. the list goes on and on if you care to pay attention :D
oh yeah, and a hair cut, apparently he can't afford a hair cut either. ok, seriously though, he NEEDS a hair cut.