Quantcast

DEE Max WTF?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a set of Dee Max wheels. Mavic hubs. My rear wheel is straight, and I just had it tensioned and trued. On my first ride out, I made about a 2.5 ft. drop to flat and one of the spokes has already popped out of the hub. I've got a 7" rear travel bike. I would've thought the wheel could handle it. Anyone hear of this prob.?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
go back to the place that did the work because i bet the f'ed up. alot of places i have noticed will not tension a dh wheel properly and the spokes are actually too loose

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well that's a PITA.

I want to get my bike to the point of bombproofness. I'm not too fussy about weight. Any suggestions?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Well that's a PITA.

I want to get my bike to the point of bombproofness. I'm not too fussy about weight. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem with my dee-max wheels. I had 2 pairs, one on my dh and one on the 4x. On the dh bike I would lose a spoke nearly every ride. It was a total pita. The only thing that I have heard that helps this particular problem is to zip-tie all of the spoke intersections on each side, this on its own is a total pita as well and may or may not fix the problem but it can help (by relieving alot of the side load on the spokes that causes them to pop out). Or you can go the route I did and just say FVCK it, laced me some 5.1ds to a set of hope pro2 hubs. Yeah were money now.:monkeydance:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Go on a diet fatass.

If that doesn't work I vote for the zip tie rig. I've has similar problems with other wheels and the ghetto zip tie trick worked.
I'm a svelte 155 lbs thank you very much.

The ghetto rig sounds like an idea. I'll give it a go.

I rode a pair of deemax wheels for two years and only had a spoke pop out once.

Tension the fvckers properly and it's a non-issue.
There's no way I'm beating the wheels as bad as you, I've seen some of your vids, and I'm not doing anything nearly as nuts.
But I'll give everything a little tweak and cinch 'em in tight. I just know I'm going to screw them up...but I'll give it a go.

Mar 1, 2008
Nathan Rennie's mech solders the intersections of his spokes together, cleaner and I'm sure much more secure than zip ties (God bless those wonderfully useful pieces of plastic!).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's no way I'm beating the wheels as bad as you, I've seen some of your vids, and I'm not doing anything nearly as nuts.
But I'll give everything a little tweak and cinch 'em in tight. I just know I'm going to screw them up...but I'll give it a go.

Anyone hitting a rock at speed puts as much stress on a wheel as anything.

But yeah just keep them tight (like probably tighter than the guy at the shop with the campy painters cap and sheldon brown book in his back pocket) thinks you should have them) and you'll be fine.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So, I fiddled with wheel and it kept happening, so I brought it to the shop. Man, I'm a fantastic customer.

I just called to see if it was ready and apparently the hoop is shot. Super tight spokes on one side and super slack spokes on the other. I'm expecting a quote for a new hoop and re-build. Ouch. I guess I could buy that warranty on the new hoop.

Anyone know if the MP3 (?) warranty applies to a re-built wheel with a new hoop?

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
So, I fiddled with wheel and it kept happening, so I brought it to the shop. Man, I'm a fantastic customer.

I just called to see if it was ready and apparently the hoop is shot. Super tight spokes on one side and super slack spokes on the other. I'm expecting a quote for a new hoop and re-build. Ouch. I guess I could buy that warranty on the new hoop.

Anyone know if the MP3 (?) warranty applies to a re-built wheel with a new hoop?
dude, if you mean the left and right side, rear wheels always have tight spokes on one side and loose on the other. sounds like the shop is shot, not the hoop.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
dude, if you mean the left and right side, rear wheels always have tight spokes on one side and loose on the other. sounds like the shop is shot, not the hoop.
In most cases, yes.
A normally dished 135mm rear wheel will have higher tension on the drive side than the non-drive side.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Held the 09 deemax wheels in my hands the other day.

fixes all the problems and then some. the engagement is well worth buying them again. the spoke placement is wayyyy better. nice and light too.

still trying to see if i can "borrow" them

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Held the 09 deemax wheels in my hands the other day.

fixes all the problems and then some. the engagement is well worth buying them again. the spoke placement is wayyyy better. nice and light too.

still trying to see if i can "borrow" them
I agree. The '09s look nice.

toby

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i had 05 deemax wheels for a while and the rear spokes always poped out of the rear hub. they suck and there is nothing to do other than sell them to someone who does not know they suck. better hurry.

as far as the 09 deemax, can you buy the crash replacement policy on those wheels ?

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
man it happens. Anyone saying it doesn't isn't riding rocks. I live at the bottom of tunnel here in Santa Barbara and pretty much always have one spoke pop out on a run. I don't really think it is that much of an issue. I have been building wheels for about 15 years now and know the tension on my spokes is just fine, they are just a light wheelset that is going to deflect. Not a big deal. If you had it pop that easily maybe tension them a little more, but don't expect them to never come out. Just put them back in when it happens.

FWIW, it pretty much only happens on Tunnel. Spent a long weekend up in Mammoth last summer and never had it happen once. Rocks, deflection, etc can do the trick.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
man it happens. Anyone saying it doesn't isn't riding rocks. I live at the bottom of tunnel here in Santa Barbara and pretty much always have one spoke pop out on a run. I don't really think it is that much of an issue. I have been building wheels for about 15 years now and know the tension on my spokes is just fine, they are just a light wheelset that is going to deflect. Not a big deal. If you had it pop that easily maybe tension them a little more, but don't expect them to never come out. Just put them back in when it happens.

FWIW, it pretty much only happens on Tunnel. Spent a long weekend up in Mammoth last summer and never had it happen once. Rocks, deflection, etc can do the trick.
Yeah, I'm not trying to crap on DeeMax's, I was just surprised that it kept happening even though I'd had the wheel worked on a couple times. It turns out that the hoop was just all warped beyond repair after perhaps ignoring the problem of a popped spoke for one drop too many.

The wheel in question is on a used rental bike I bought, and I've got about 1.5 seasons out of almost everything on the rig so I can't complain. I'm sure I was just about due for something like this.

I'm getting the wheel rebuilt by Mavic as we speak, and I'll just be more mindful of my spoke tension from now on. Newb mistake.

I've learned to be nice to my bike. I went through 2 rear derailleurs this past weekend. Ka-ching.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

I've done that trail many, many times. My house is right at the base of it. I've done it on a wide array of wheels, from cheapo formula hubs laced to speeddisc rims to nicer custom builds. I have never had a spoke pop out. I think either they need to be tensioned more, or they suck ass.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Or sell them to someone who knows how to keep their wheels tensioned.

Dude, the wheelset got ridden, not wiped with towel and pics posted on the web. The wheel spent many day at the LBS getting rebuilt, sent to Mavic for replacement and they returned the wheel saying it was fine. a source of GREAT frustration and down time. the wheels absolutely fvckin suck. when i see them on peoples bikes, i laugh to myself and say "noobie-pinkbike-grom". If the spokes are not popping out on you, you ain't riding.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I gotta ask. Why not go with hadley hubs with 72 point engagement and 823 mavic rims. They are light and bombproof? They cost less and the hubs are better?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I want Deemax wheels so I can have spoke pop problems :biggrin:
hahah

i have a pair I can sell you for a backup set of popping awesome! Actually, after a solid season of racing and bike park riding, my spokes never had any issues.

bansheefr51

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Well that's a PITA.

Sun Doubletrack rims around XT hubs. I have been running Mag 30s (Same Rim) for 5 years and I go 10-15ft big and weigh 245lbs. Ive only had to true them a little over the years. Heavy but bombproof