Quantcast

Deemax Ultimate Rims?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Has anyone seen any Deemax Ultimate rims for sale seperate? My random googling has turned up nothing. Cost dependent they seem like they'd be awesome, just not on Mavics own hubs!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Its probably like DeeMax in the past; Ideally they only provided the yellow, branded rims as replacements for damaged sets. This was when they were straight up 729's with a different paint job. These are a whole different animal with no corresponding rim in the line up.

Would be nice tho! Im searching now!

EDIT: Called Mavic, they are only available as replacements for damaged wheelsets; not available as rim alone. You might be able to pull something out if you were a sponsored team, and get them to provide you with spares, but that would likely violate a contract so I'm not suggesting anyone try that.................

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Really? Are thy not just the same layout a 823's?
I have a wheelset built with 823's, a set of Crossmax SX's and a set of the grey Deemax's (not ultimates, though). I believe the Deemax Ultimate is somewhat of a Crossmax SX/Deemax hybrid, but I'm not sure.

The 823/819 eyelet system is designed to work with standard nipples and spokes, but is heavy (~100g in just eyelets per 36h 823 rim). The Mavic wheelset system (ie Crossmax, Deemax, etc) is a completely different design and does not work with standard nipples and spokes. Yeah, getting spares is not as easy as the standard method, but you end up with lighter wheels.

So, no, the Deemax rim is not the same as the 823 with regards to nipples. Additionally, the newer grey Deemax rims have the inter-spoke milling to reduce the weight, whereas the 823's do not.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
My team is sponsored by Mavic and we can get DeeMax rims as replacement only. And I can confirm they are custom eyelets. I have 823s and DeeMax.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
so there is any chance to build up a pair of mavic deemax ultimate rims with hope hubs?

i know i´d need the mavic nipple... but i don´t know whats going on with the spoke... can i use a standard 2mm DT competition spoke with the mavic nipple?

i got the chance to get the rims&nipples.... but i don´t know if i can use regular spokes on them... because if i get the spokes, they are straight one... and the hubs use j bend (non straight)

thanks ¡¡¡¡¡

Idahoo

Chimp
Apr 21, 2009
Honestly why would you want the Deemax Ultimate's aside from color and weight? Mavic said last year in a video from World Champs that the Ultimates are actually softer than regular Deemax's so they allow for more flex over rocks and what not. That means they wear out faster though and will deform easier. Just something to think about I suppose.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have realized that it really comes down to how you want your rim to fail, and what you feel is an acceptable weight v strength ratio for your riding (cost aside).

Sounds like common sense, but I, like many, thought there were "best" rims out there- now I don't really think that...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Do what I did (on accident) and hunt for a 04 823 rim. They were lighter than the new gen 823s and they hold up great. If you have a good wheelbuilder they are still stiff enough to take revolutions and still be stiff. With proper light hubs you should be around 2000g.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
They cost a fortune, but Fulcrum rims will take standard nipples. Of course, the wheelsets have Campy hubs anyway.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
I want a rim to be light and tubeless ready....

I have a pair of wheels with hope hubs/mavic 823 and other one with hope/mtx29 both with dr competition spokes

I'm ok with the hope/mtx weight it's 1990 grs, but I hate to deal with the rim strip..... I rather have a tubeless ready rim... The 823 is awesome but on the heavy side..... Soni was thinking in either the deemax or deemax ultimate.. But I don't know the actual difference in weight....

I don't need a super strong rim, since I'm light on wheels...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Do what I did (on accident) and hunt for a 04 823 rim. They were lighter than the new gen 823s and they hold up great. If you have a good wheelbuilder they are still stiff enough to take revolutions and still be stiff. With proper light hubs you should be around 2000g.
Weren't they the ones that flatspotted really easily? I seem to remember Acadian and a few other guys having issues with that.

FWIW, as a heavy guy who runs into stuff a lot, I absolutely love my 823s and wouldn't trade them for anything. They somewhat legitimise my fairly substandard line selection :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Weren't they the ones that flatspotted really easily? I seem to remember Acadian and a few other guys having issues with that.

FWIW, as a heavy guy who runs into stuff a lot, I absolutely love my 823s and wouldn't trade them for anything. They somewhat legitimise my fairly substandard line selection :)
I am light(70-72kg w/o gear) so it may not happen to me. I know I used to dent rims a lot before switching to 823s so unless I ride lighter they are at least decent.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The old 823 rim is a good front rim. My friend Bushrider has ridden it for several years without a problem. It would be nice if you offered an 823 front specific rim with less spokes and then the normal 823 for the back. I guess if weight really was that a big concern for me I would just build up a Stans rim front wheel.