Quantcast

deep fryer

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i posted this question in the Beer and Food section but figured this gets more traffic.

im in the market for a deep fryer and im looking to spend less than $200

anyone have any recommendations and or anything to look for?

ive only used one like this

but its too small for what id eventually use it for

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've got some cheapo one from hamilton beach or something...it's white. Not very big, but it's usually filled with chicken wings so i don't need the mega size.

If you do, I recommend one of the turkey fryers with the big pot. I think they're cheap, too.

Generally, everything I cook in it is as hot as possible (375*), so I don't really worry about temperature range.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
then what are you putting in a deep fryer that's too small for a turkey fryer and too large for a countertop one? A helmet made of bacon?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
then what are you putting in a deep fryer that's too small for a turkey fryer and too large for a countertop one? A helmet made of bacon?
i need a counter top one. the first pic i posted was one that ive used in the past (at my parent's house) and im not gonna stick my turkey fryer on my counter next to my toaster.

i guess i could use this type right? i just cant make bigger batches of food

helmet of bacon you say? the gears are turning

Seriously pick up a turkey fryer. Best investment we've made. We use it for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-3066A-30-Quart-Outdoor/dp/B0000BXHL0/ref=sr_1_1/186-3298566-7765033?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1257197039&sr=1-1
see post #3

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Steve, most countertop models max out at around 8L. The smallest I would recommend is 3-4L. Mine is 3.5L, and its big enough to do about 14 or 15 chicken wings at a time and have them all properly cooked. Anything bigger than 4~5L is good for when you have people over and need to make big batches, but keep in mind the larger the amount of oil, the longer it will take to pre-heat.

I'd recommend getting something stainless steel, and with a vented lid. Basket is a must. To get something of good quality I'd recommend something around $60 - $70

I think mine is a hamilton beach. It's pretty sweet. Heats up to I think 375°F and has a built in timer.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
:( My wife won't let me get one. Something about how I'd eat 4 meals a day from it and die before I get to 35...

edit: Anyone know of one that looks like a toaster or coffee maker? Maybe if I can hide it on the counter she'll never know it's there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:( My wife won't let me get one. Something about how I'd eat 4 meals a day from it and die before I get to 35...

edit: Anyone know of one that looks like a toaster or coffee maker? Maybe if I can hide it on the counter she'll never know it's there.
Come visit me instead.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Steve, most countertop models max out at around 8L. The smallest I would recommend is 3-4L. Mine is 3.5L, and its big enough to do about 14 or 15 chicken wings at a time and have them all properly cooked. Anything bigger than 4~5L is good for when you have people over and need to make big batches, but keep in mind the larger the amount of oil, the longer it will take to pre-heat.

I'd recommend getting something stainless steel, and with a vented lid. Basket is a must. To get something of good quality I'd recommend something around $60 - $70

I think mine is a hamilton beach. It's pretty sweet. Heats up to I think 375°F and has a built in timer.
3.5L seems more than enough i think..especially if you can do that many wings at once. i didnt really know how much that would actually hold.
if i can get a decent unit for that much, thatd be nice. i was thinking of spending more than that originally.

get a turkey fryer, and when it's not thanksgiving or Christmas, the pot is perfect for making beer in
see the first few posts....i unfortunately bought another pot for making beer too:(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I use a large cast iron pot and a propane burner in the garage, it works better than any deep fryer I've owned.

Prior to this I had a pretty nice DeLonghi with a rotating basket.

This one.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
3.5L seems more than enough i think..especially if you can do that many wings at once. i didnt really know how much that would actually hold.
if i can get a decent unit for that much, thatd be nice. i was thinking of spending more than that originally.
Steve, you've seen my fryer right? It only cost me $60. And I love it.

And 14-15 wings is the most I've done at once. It was pretty much maxed out, but they turned out fine. I normally only do a dozen wings at a time and they come out perfect.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
i need a counter top one. the first pic i posted was one that ive used in the past (at my parent's house) and im not gonna stick my turkey fryer on my counter next to my toaster.

i guess i could use this type right? i just cant make bigger batches of food

helmet of bacon you say? the gears are turning

see post #3

Thats the one I have. It works, sometimes I make homemade french fries and I would say you can do about one portion at a time.

splat

Nam I am
I have this one too. Don't use it too often. My Favorite is doing Scallops in it.

I also have the gizmo that you put tortilla's in then deep fry to make a Tortilla Salad Bowl. really makes an Nice touch to a dinner party. ( not that we have done that since kids came along )

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hide it somewhere outside. Nothing like a little deep fried outdoor snack time and you will hot have the small in the whole house.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I used to hang out at Fatz City on 13th Ave in Denver in the mid to late 80s. The best thing on their menu was Potatos, Cheese & Onions - all fried and melty for $2.00.

That was next to Wax Trax records.

Yeah, nobody cares but me.

Last edited: