Quantcast

Deepest zero stack 1.5-1 1/8th head set?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not really impressed with the FSA I got(most brands seem to be as shallow), I want something that has a bigger surface area inside my head tube(deeper).
Must be zero stack.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Not really impressed with the FSA I got(most brands seem to be as shallow), I want something that has a bigger surface area inside my head tube(deeper).
Must be zero stack.
Be careful with that FSA in a DH frame. A friend of mine was using one and blew it out of his headtube. He cased a double, knocked the FSA out of the frame and flared the heaadtube in the processes.
Look for at least 15mm deep skirts on the headset for gravity use.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Be careful with that FSA in a DH frame. A friend of mine was using one and blew it out of his headtube. He cased a double, knocked the FSA out of the frame and flared the heaadtube in the processes.
Look for at least 15mm deep skirts on the headset for gravity use.
All but one of the DH bikes I've owned had an FSA headset... so I'd vehemently disagree with you. I ride hard, cased many a lip, stink bugged, and hucked to flat more times than I'd like to admit and not once even an ovalized head tube or a blown cartridge bearing.

If the preload on the headset was too light or the impact caused the starnut to rip out, then yes, all hell would break loose.... on that matter, Starnut for DH is just wonky. Get a head lock.

To the OP. My Intense M6 is currently adorned with an FSA Xtreme Pro. The cups sit pretty deep and I haven't had one issue with it at all. I'm not sure if they have a zerostack option though.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
All but one of the DH bikes I've owned had an FSA headset... so I'd vehemently disagree with you. I ride hard, cased many a lip, stink bugged, and hucked to flat more times than I'd like to admit and not once even an ovalized head tube or a blown cartridge bearing.

If the preload on the headset was too light or the impact caused the starnut to rip out, then yes, all hell would break loose.... on that matter, Starnut for DH is just wonky. Get a head lock.

To the OP. My Intense M6 is currently adorned with an FSA Xtreme Pro. The cups sit pretty deep and I haven't had one issue with it at all. I'm not sure if they have a zerostack option though.
As you vehemently disagree are you aware of what FSA headset is being discussed here?

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/365/Orbit-Z-15R

No one said every FSA headset will destroy your bike, lol.

As was mentioned above this headset has very shallow insertion depth on the skirts (roughly 7mm) and this is the problem. Most DH bikes are designed around a 15-20mm insertion depth for the headset skirts.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
That old model CC is however really heavy, like lead!
Yup, because of thick and large crown race it's very heavy but cups with bearings and all this stuff are crazy light. You can always use a race from other CC headset or simply machine it down.